hifi DSP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2011, 11:34 PM   #1
Mikey B is offline Mikey B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default hifi DSP

Hi all, been reading a lot on this forum recently and really learning a lot!

I'm looking for suggestions for a DSP unit to put into my hifi setup in order to integrate a new sub and make room corrections etc. I've used the Behringer DCX for PA applications and been happy although i've always thought its noise floor would make it unsuitable for hifi. Bss Soundweb (green or black) is another option as is XTA dp200. Have any of you had experience with any of these units in the home? Are there any other units I should be looking at?

Thanks
Mikey
Old 1st August 2011, 09:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I am tempted by the miniDSP 2x8 or 8x8 offering. Home | miniDSP
I have a 5 way but could prob get away with 4 way and add tweeter on top.
After lots of measuring I would like to try correcting the tapped horn sub and bass horn and take it from there.
It would have to be their higher bit rate offerings. There's some good miniDSP threads on here too.

The other one is DEQX but that is currently just 3 way and to go 5 way you need to chain 2 together and it ended up at 4-6 grand - gulp!

I'm still a bit precious about my analogue signal and my own quality dac that I like though...
I have no connection with any of these BTW.
Old 1st August 2011, 09:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

To use miniDSP in Hifi, you should consider to add miniDIGI cards for spdif in/out.

This enables you to use DAC and ADC of your own choice.

Franz
Old 1st August 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Main thing to bear in mind is that all the pro units will need either a preamp that drives them to appropriate levels, or modding to suit lower domestic hi fi levels. The BSS units are very good, (I use them a lot at work), but the Soundweb is fiddly to program as you need a PC, and the DPA200 is only a 2x4 unit, so for anything other than 2 way stereo you will need multiples. I have a (currently) unmodded DCX at home, and driven appropriately, the noise floor isn't a huge issue. Personally, if I had the cash, I'd go for a XTA DPA448.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 4th August 2011, 12:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Had a quick read - looks like quite a bit of kit.
As you say - if one had the money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Main thing to bear in mind is that all the pro units will need either a preamp that drives them to appropriate levels, or modding to suit lower domestic hi fi levels. The BSS units are very good, (I use them a lot at work), but the Soundweb is fiddly to program as you need a PC, and the DPA200 is only a 2x4 unit, so for anything other than 2 way stereo you will need multiples. I have a (currently) unmodded DCX at home, and driven appropriately, the noise floor isn't a huge issue. Personally, if I had the cash, I'd go for a XTA DPA448.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
I have a (currently) unmodded DCX at home, and driven appropriately, the noise floor isn't a huge issue. Personally, if I had the cash, I'd go for a XTA DPA448.
How are you finding this? I'm guessing the (currently) means you have plans for a change in the pipeline? I'm assuming that as you've not modified it you have a preamp in between your source(s). Apologies for the number of questions, I'm just pondering on whether the berry will play as nicely with my hifi as it does with my PA gear.
Old 4th August 2011, 07:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Well, I knocked together a quick DRV2134 circuit to drive the DCX after my valve line stage to sort out the level issues, but in the long term I'm going to mod the input and output stages so it's more home friendly, and probably build a multichannel volume control for the output to optimise gain structure.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 4th August 2011, 10:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have a minidsp 2x8 and I have to say it is a fantastic piece of kit. The internal dac sounds excellent, the filters are versatile and the noise floor is ultra low. I'd recommend it any day. I had previously looked at 2x4 versions but they weren't versatile enough for me as I want 3 way plus sub crossovers and would have needed two.

Jai
Old 5th August 2011, 11:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Great, just the kind of report that's good to get.
They certainly are pretty versatile.
What other kits pre and after DSP are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaistanley View Post
I have a minidsp 2x8 and I have to say it is a fantastic piece of kit. The internal dac sounds excellent, the filters are versatile and the noise floor is ultra low. I'd recommend it any day. I had previously looked at 2x4 versions but they weren't versatile enough for me as I want 3 way plus sub crossovers and would have needed two.

Jai

Hide this!Advertise here!