Silicon Labs 530 low jitter oscillator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While I haven't experimented with this device, I remain unimpressed with it's specifications for digital audio application. First, there is no phase noise plot shown, only a few cardinal point specs. Second, close-in phase noise is only given for carrier frequencies of 120MHz and above, and even then, not at a 10Hz offset. Third, at carrier frequencies useful for audio (10MHz rage), phase noise is only given down to a 12KHz offset.

So, is this a superior oscillator for digital audio purposes? Maybe, but I think that is not a fact established in the data sheet.

the NEL does look llike the best so far

...Crystech makes xtals in std DIP cans with better than -120 dB@100Hz, -140 dB@1Khz

if you want to throw money at the non-problem then Vectron EMXO series evacuated SC cut with low vibration sensitivity may make more sense - they claim to be able to "significantly" better the -130 dB@100 Hz close in noise on request - but you'll probably have to pony up for a 100 piece min order

when human jitter perception in audio is looked for in DBT studies the sensitivity is absurdly low - 100s of nS - not ps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.