Need help with a Behringer DCX2496!!!

Greetings!!!

So...two months ago I was writing a file to my unit and somehow the RS232 cord came unplugged!!

From that point on, the unit will not connect through the software. I can put the unit in boot mode but still nothing!!

I cannot write to it or read from it!!

I contacted behringer...they were zero help...told me to take it into a repair depot!! Well I'm an electronics guy as it is and the repair depot owner is a friend of mine!! He contacted Behringer and he had zero luck!!

With that, Behringer did provide me with a part number to order a new flash...so I did...$25.00!! And guess what?? The IC came blank!!! Nothing on it!!!

Like I said, I work in the business...I have an eprom burner at my disposal...and before you ask, yes, I put the original chip in but whats the point...its corrupted so the read from it is useless!!

I took the 1.6 bin from their site and wrote it to the blank...I thought what the hell but it still didn't make sense as the chip is a 4 meg and the bin file is only 500k!!

Seems that Behringer doesn't understand this concept as well...

So any ideas??

My unit was date stamped at 09/06...

Behringer did say that midiox may work in sending that 1.6 bin down to the corrupted chip but I have no way of working with a midi connection.

Can anyone help or suggest something??

Thanks!!

I honestly don't know anything about the Behringer DCX2496. However, I used to configure, save and flash EPROM
all the time on Cisco routers & switches. Here are my thoughts... Is there a method to transfer the EPROM file/image
from another, noncorrupted Behringer DCX2496 onto a PC/laptop via a TFTP server? ...like through a RS232 connection?

[SolarWinds TFTP Server is probably he best available. It is free and there is a version that will work with M$ Windows]

If you can do that, then you could easily flash your blank EPROM with a valid file/image ...then you would ony need to reconfigure.

...Good luck :)

I have full access to an eprom reader and burner!! So yes, if I could get a valid image from a working 2496, then I can easily burn it to a blank and then get this unit up and running!!

I was hoping someone was able to help me with that seeing Behringer has no clue as to what I am talking about!! Go figure!! I even asked them where they get their firmware from?? Not like it appears from mid-air!! They couldn't tell me!!

Thanks for your reply!!

Cheers!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I read about this problem and similar ones, but don't remember the solution - sorry. It seems that updated the firmware is fraught with problems.
There is a DCX2496 group on Yahoo, you might find something there, or if you don't find it, ask there.

Good luck!

hold on so you have a binary file image and a blank eprom? eprom or eeprom or prom?

the image is 500k and the eprom is 4mb? have you tried burning the rom with an offset; like split the rom into 8 sections; and burn the bin file to one of the 8 sections and try it then repeat?

or even just combine the bin file 8x to make a 4mbit rom image and burn it?

i do efi tuning on hondas and use 27c256 eproms but have used an sst 512kb eeprom but you have to write the bin file to the last half of the chip.

maybe try reading the original chip and see where the programming starts and hen try burning the new chip with the bin file at that HEX offset?!

I just wanted to give an update to this isssue and a HUGE THANK YOU to Sabbelbacke!!!!!!

If it wasn't for him, my DCX would still be pooched!!

He supplied me with the full dump that I was able to burn off...worked like a charm!!! I now have my DCX back and fully functional!!

Again a big thank you Reiner!!!

Cheers!!!

Behringer 2496 issue

Hi,
I have a modified Behringer 2496 cross-over which I have been using for the last few years and have been very happy with it. (Jan Diddens output mod.)
However it has just started refusing to boot further than the welcome screen... It was intermittent at first but it is now useless. Any ideas? Holding the page buttons down at start has no effect as it doesn't get that far in its boot up.
Grateful for all suggestions!
Thanks!