PCM5102, 2VRMS ground centered direct output with two digital filters - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2011, 05:29 AM   #11
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I think the ES9022 / 9023 is a more direct comparison in many respects.

Patrick
Old 24th September 2011, 04:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Can I use a microprocessador to have a usb assync 24/192khz like this Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget ?

regards
joao
Old 25th September 2011, 01:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

There is one significant difference with this DAC that deserves some consideration as compared to the 9022/23 - the master clock implementation.

The 9022/23 requires an external low noise master clock whether working synchronously or asynchronously.

From the datasheet the 150x chips can generate the master clock from the incoming data stream using a internal PLL and no external master clock input or oscillator. In doing so it supports any sample rate frequency directly with only the bit clock, L/R, and data signals. A good question is how well it does this? It would be very interesting to see how good this internal PLL and oscillator are by building one and doing some testing.

If this PLL mode works well this may be an interesting way to shave off the expense of the external oscillator and its low noise power supply (as compared to the 9022/23 at least).

If it does not work as well in PLL mode as the 9022/23, an external oscillator can be supplied to the 1502 but it must be selected to work on either 44.1KHz multiples or 48KHz multiples. It won't do both with one clock frequency.

The best performance looks to be achieved with an external low noise oscillator and working synchronously from an SD player or a fixed rate transport, etc. This is probably where the comparison between the 9022/23 and the 1502 should be made because it is the closest thing to an apples-to-apples comparison.

Food for thought...

I am looking forward to someone trying it out.
Dave
Old 25th September 2011, 01:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartins View Post
Can I use a microprocessador to have a usb assync 24/192khz like this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/185761-open-source-usb-interface-audio-widget.html ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartins View Post

regards
joao
Joao,

It looks like it would probably work. Keep in mind that the 9022/23 and the 1502 pin out differently and require different bypass and control pin considerations so you cannot just solder it in place of the 9022/23.

Dave

(edited to remove incorrect mode statement)

Last edited by fitzfish; 25th September 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 25th September 2011, 01:37 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I think similar technique was used by YM 3623B receiver; I liked that chip a lot. Yamaha chip was locking on an external clock and then disconnecting that input while using an internal PLL controlled oscillator to provide clock signals internally. This was also an attempt to isolate cheap quartz xtal oscillator from receiver internal processing. It seemed that it worked quite well - this receiver was regarded as one of the better sounding chips... Anyhow, I installed LC clock XO2 inside DPA DAC (that uses Yamaha receiver chip) not knowing the above… and noticed huge improvement in sound definition, extension… exactly the same as whit all other chips…. So I don’t know what to think about chips with an internal PLL that does not require external clock signal to be present all the time…. the DPA DAC LC clock XO2 had its own dedicated low noise power supply (and separate transformer).

Boky
Old 25th September 2011, 07:22 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Dave,

We have done a PCB for the 5102 to tests, but have not yet found time.
It has, however, MLCC caps that you hate.

If you don't mind, you are welcome to a test board.
Though I know from experience you rather do your own.

Rest see email.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 25th September 2011, 04:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick,

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
It has, however, MLCC caps that you hate.
Ceramics still have thier place for me and I have used many over the years. I took an untraveled path with film caps and liked where it took me, that's all. I need to build one of my 9023 boards with all ceramics to listen to. It may be better...

I'll send you an email about testing a board. I look forward to doing it.

Dave
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:14 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default PCM5102 evaluation board

Hi,

I'm evaluating PCM1502 in my Jundac XI.
I turn ON this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jundac_XI.jpg (111.7 KB, 1133 views)
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Your PCB is about 4x the size as the one I am using.

Patrick
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick,
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
Your PCB is about 4x the size as the one I am using.

Patrick

Does the quality is proportional to the size

If the PCM5102 doesn't work correctly with this environment, it probably never works correctly

Eric

Hide this!Advertise here!