Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Greg is looking for this one, the first version of DualXoClock board. Unfortunately I don't have any left :

DualXOclockBoard
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

I need one of these for a DAC project where Ian's original Dual Clock board will fit the layout, but his later one will not.

Anyone have one they won't use?

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I've already asked Ian and he doesn't have any left.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks all who've replied here. Since I originally posted on this, I've gotten several responses via PM and have purchased 1 and am considering another.

Sorry my comment of 'Acquired' was so cryptic, I was trying to convey that I had purchased one.

BTW, the reason I need an original Dual Clock board is I've got a couple of projects started where I'm using a smaller case than most setups using the FIFO. I've got the FIFO components stacked very nicely with the FIFO on the top, the clock board on the bottom, and the isolator board between. The mounting holes for the various DAC boards have them nestled right against the FIFO for very short I2S lines... and for Twisted Pear DAC boards, I cut out a portion of the outer frame of Ian's 1st generation clock boards to allow them to mount right up against the active clock board.

I already had 1 original Dual Clock board and an Si570 board, but I've decided I want to go with clocks as good as I can afford and that makes a 2nd Dual Clock board a better choice. AND while most of my source is ripped CDs, I have a number of file downloads in various sampling rates, which is why I need a Dual Clock board, not the original Single Clock board (of which I have 2-3, if anyone needs one, BTW).

Again, THANKS EVERYONE!

Greg in Mississippi

You might need the i2s-pcm board from Ian.

Potentially, but I wanted to understand if it is possible to just use the FIFO board in front of the digital filter with minimal effort and cost. I realize it is best to get rid of the DF completely and OS in software but I might be interested in keeping my DAC's operation more or less stock while getting at least some benefit from FIFO reclocking downstream of the SPDIF receiver/upstream of the DF, this would allow me to continue use it with traditional SPDIF sources for one.

Potentially, but I wanted to understand if it is possible to just use the FIFO board in front of the digital filter with minimal effort and cost.

I overlooked the input requirement.
New multichannel FIFO has an extension port for future multichannel PCM input board. The extension board is not yet available so maybe Ian can take a stereo PCM input as an option in to consideration.

I overlooked the input requirement.
New multichannel FIFO has an extension port for future multichannel PCM input board. The extension board is not yet available so maybe Ian can take a stereo PCM input as an option in to consideration.

Well, just make sure we are on the same page and while I don't know how much it is of interest to others or how difficult it is to implement, but it would be cool if the FIFO board could also accept MSB-first left/right-justified serial formats, as well as provided flexibility to choose between the same formats on its output. It could also be used as a jitter-killing converter between those serial formats and I2S in any combination. For example:

YM3623 -rj-> FIFO -rj-> DF1700 -> PCM63
rj - MSB-first, right justified

Or better yet, and perhaps this is what you mean by the "stereo PCM input", allow the FIFO board to be able to understand what Ian calls the "PCM" format on its input, so that the FIFO + I2StoPCM can be put downstream of the digital filter in front of the vintage DAC chips such as PCM63. For example:

YM3623 -rj-> DF1700 -pcm-> FIFO/I2StoPCM -pcm-> PCM63

The motivation for this is an easy upgrade path for vintage DACs, as not everyone wants to run them in NOS mode with external oversampling.

Hi Ian

Thanks, I received my McFifo & McDualXO boards and just started this weekend to hook them up with a sparky SBC as source and outputting I2S to an HDMI LVDS which is the difficult part as I need to cut and solder some wiring.

I emailed you about getting some XO adaptor boards. Do you have any in stock?

It could be something like this:

YM3623 -rj-> DF1700 -pcm/rj -> PCM EXTENSION BOARD - i2s -> MC FIFO -> i2s -> I2StoPCM -pcm-> PCM63

At the end it is up to Ian to comment if/ what input stereo formats the extension board can/will support.
Yes, however it would surely be nice to have fewer boards, like maybe 1 total. For example I2SoverUSB speaks both I2S and PCM on its output.

Something happened to my McFIFO/McDualXO setup today. After changing album/playlist, it went silent. All LEDs are correct, but somhow there is no voltage on McDualXO LRCK and SD output. Did some measurements:
McDualXO u.fl output (going to Curryman DAC ES9023).
MCLK - 1,08V
SCK - 1,51V
LR & SD - 0

on McFIFO J8 input connector I get:
SCK - 1,55V
LRCK - 1,61V
SD - 1,20V
McDualXO LDO in and out are normal (5,11V and 3,26v)
Clock's LED lit and changes over to other one during bitrate change.

Please help me, what should be the next step to check.