Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Thanks a lot wktk! You've nailed it with this one!

The 1.2V Trident just goes on it's knees on everything over 192khz, it goes down to 0,86V. Had to raise the voltage on Placid all the way to 6V to get around 1V out of Trident - just to confirm it playing.

WhiteBull:

Glad you address the problem, congratulations!

wktk_smile :

I didn't realize the problem was caused by the 1.2V power supply. Thanks wktk_smile for your experience.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'd like to try the isolator board BUT I need spdif out, also using the si570, like its sound. Can I remove the ribbon cable (dont use the fifo input) and power the board seperately like in the attached pic? Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 449
Hi Ian,

I'd like to try the isolator board BUT I need spdif out, also using the si570, like its sound. Can I remove the ribbon cable (dont use the fifo input) and power the board seperately like in the attached pic? Thanks!

Hi edbk,

If you don't need input I2S from spdif board, yes, you don't need the black I2S input cable.

However you have to use the white FFC/FPC cable for running the spdif board.

You don't need the 5V DC input on the spdif board if it works with FIFO.

Ian

Hi edbk,

If you don't need input I2S from spdif board, yes, you don't need the black I2S input cable.

However you have to use the white FFC/FPC cable for running the spdif board.

You don't need the 5V DC input on the spdif board if it works with FIFO.

Ian

ah whoops, I knew there was something eating at me, so you still need the J7 FPC for spdif output only? what for? control signals and output selection or something? its not mentioned in the datasheet other than being for future revisions and I also guessed the spdif input selection/control was sent over it. or is i2s sent over it for output too?

the reason he asked about that, is because he wants to use the isolator on the fifo (between the fifo and clock boards I guess), which would be circumvented if using the MCLK and i2s connected to the spdif output board from the clock board.

Yes exactly, I dont quite get why the ribbon cable is needed then? The spdif board cant be used standalone to convert i2s to spdif?

ah whoops, I knew there was something eating at me, so you still need the J7 FPC for spdif output only? what for? control signals and output selection or something? its not mentioned in the datasheet other than being for future revisions and I also guessed the spdif input selection/control was sent over it. or is i2s sent over it for output too?

DIX9211 doesn't has hardware mode, so I have to run it from SPI :).

If really need isolating the spdif board, I suggest isolateing the SPI bus from the FFC/FPC cable. I can post signal details.

Regards,

Ian

For some time we worked on Edel Renderer - Ian's FIFO - Buffalo DAC - DNT1 I / V.
Now everything works perfectly and I am very pleased with the sound.
My taste ... sounds better without insulator between FIFO and XO.
Both modules are powered from PSU Salas.
In a few days i receive from Germany A123.
Please tell me , how can I separate power XO with A123?
Now XO is powered by FIFO by FFC Flexible Flat Cables.
If you use batteries for XO, you must remove FFC Flexible Flat Cables?
Thank you!
Excuse my English: (

Attachments

• DSCN1848.JPG
    DSCN1848.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 769
For some time we worked on Edel Renderer - Ian's FIFO - Buffalo DAC - DNT1 I / V.
Thank you!

Hi vitalica,

Your DAC looks nice. My D1 I/V is still BOM. I need to speed up to catch up with you.

If you use battery direct power the XO, you have to use the isolator board.

FIFO power the isolator from one side by a FFC cable, and XO power the isolator from the other side by other cable. Isolator will isolate the two power supply :).

Ian

Thank you!

I was thinking about why you feel it sounds better without the isolator.

Basically the function of the isolator is to isolate the power supply and ground loop between FIFO and clock board to make a better low noise power supply working for XO.

If your XO power supply is at same noise level as the FIFO power supply, yes you are right, you may feel it sounds better if the clock board was powered from FIFO. It was because there is a CLC filter on the FIFO board. Power from FIFO board comes with lower noise after that filter.

But if you have a much better power supply for clock board, for example, a battery or ultra low noise reg, with the isolator, it will sound better for sure.

Ian

Last edited:
I was thinking about why you feel it sounds better without the isolator.

Basically the function of the isolator is to isolate the power supply and ground loop between FIFO and clock board to make a better low noise power supply working for XO.

If your XO power supply is at same noise level as the FIFO power supply, yes you are right, you may feel it sounds better if the clock board was powered from FIFO. It was because there is a CLC filter on the FIFO board. Power from FIFO board comes with lower noise after that filter.

But if you have a much better power supply for clock board, for example, a battery or ultra low noise reg, with the isolator, it will sound better for sure.

Ian

I have used so far four batteries 1,2V.
I received yesterday A123 Systems LiFePO4 cells and will make new auditions.
I'm sure it should sound better :)
Thanks, Ian!

Last edited: