Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

black box is transformer coupled multichannel jfet buffer and analogue active crossover.

its very cool to see another way of achieving top shelf multichannel performance, i'm confident with the direction I took, but if I was going for analogue active, I cannot think of a better way that it could be done.

in this aspect DIY has the ability to far exceed what is possible with commercial gear, being that it is completely tuned for best performance for a certain objective, rather than limited by the wider, less focused agenda needed to make a commercial system both profitable and applicable to a wider market.

now is time to get my *** into gear to get everything in cases...

Dear Qusp,
thank you for nicely summing it. I really hope you succeed with your project and finish, because the reward is high. What you are doing and the quality of the gear you are incorporating is astonishing. At one point I gave up, and made shortcut, by going to analog. I really wish you reach that finish line. I am sure you will.

In my mind, I realized that at this point in time, what are we trying to do is not completely there, it is not formed yet. It is possible, but it is complicated to achieve, and than if I think about the usage it is very much involved process, where my wife cannot just turn on the system, when I am not at home, and listen.

I tested digital rout, where my four channel DAC for test was RME interface that you are using as well. In early tests I used Logic software and made crossover and filters through that. Than I switched to Pure Music, that is outstanding program and works really well for files stored on your disc. But their feature Play Through, really doesn't work. I tried Jack at the time, and it worked, but it seemed complicated specially because I access my music Mac Mini through my laptop.

And I made it work, but everything was sort of unstable, than when crashes, which it does, I would need to troubleshoot, and it all started being annoying to me. And that was through RME Fireface while I investigated software portion. It also did not help that on hardware side, I burned TWICE TWO Acko's DACs. I work late nights on my hobby, and I recall one really frustrated 2 AM event, after long day at work. It was the second set of Acko's DACs. Dual DACs, I just finished setting up all regulators, and wired them, and literarily, I was plugging the last wire to the main PS and I reversed it, and it all went to hell.
That is why, after that disaster I try for everything to use polarized connectors. We all learn through our mistakes.

So I started thinking, what is it that I try to achieve here, what is my final goal? And that is to sit on my sofa, have a glass of finest neighboring Napa vine, burn some wood in fireplace, have my wife next to me and play a good music. And for that you really could have any system... right, hehehe. So when I put that perspective, I decided it is enough of experimenting and testing and buying another board, and ...

So all that complication steams from the fact that I wanted / needed active crossover. Doing it with dual Acko DACs and all regulators it requires is, I have to say is a monumental task, ether from electrical or from mechanical stand point. How to put it all together in a reasonable amount of space? And that is why I came to that vertical mounted piece of Derlin that is a great solution for anyone trying to do the same. It was meant to house dual DACs with regulators on both sides. I really hope to save some time and pain to the next builder.

And after I gave up on digital I realized I had two buffer boards already assembled, and crossover is nothing more than bunch of buffers with RC filters. Those buffers are the best of the best. jFets with cap multipliers with no caps in a line of signal. Zen Mode did awesome job designing them. And I already had digital passive volume control, in order to separately control volume for separate Xover channels. After I burned my DACs, one afternoon I had conversation with Nelson Pass, who helped me with schematic and filter calculations, and my friend Zen Mod as well. More than anything Nelson really help me with perspective on life, haha, since I was in a really bad shape after I burned DACs the second time. Not to mention Acko as well who is an awesome guy and who helped me a lot both times. My DAC boards traveled more than some people in a whole life, hahaha, twice between Australia and San Francisco.

So to complete answer here, two black cases are - one is for power supply Shunty because it takes a lots of space with big transformers I have, and second one is for Xover buffer boards and digital passive volume control that is in charge of levels between Xover channels. Master volume is controlled by Hifidunio.

Qusp, without knowing you, it seems that we both suffer from the same thing. We both like tinkering and playing with electronics, and for both of us " the pleasure is going there, not being there"... right? This process of thinking of it, designing it, making it, is actually equally exciting as much as is using it. And than there is always something new, like Ian's Fifo board, that puts a wrench in almost finished system, hahaha.

Now just to illustrate what I was talking above... These are shoots I did for Alex RAAL, with speakers I am using now (top portion) Imagine me with glass of vine there... hehehe.

Attachments

• RoomSet_picture.a.jpg
    RoomSet_picture.a.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 476
  • Main-1_Black.jpg
    Main-1_Black.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Qusp, without knowing you, it seems that we both suffer from the same thing. We both like tinkering and playing with electronics, and for both of us " the pleasure is going there, not being there"... right? This process of thinking of it, designing it, making it, is actually equally exciting as much as is using it. And than there is always something new, like Ian's Fifo board, that puts a wrench in almost finished system, hahaha.
no, I think you know me well enough =) our points in this journey have crossed many times, we even share the complication of being Mac guys. its part of the reason I have not taken you up on your kind offer of help with getting this into a case yet because the shape keeps changing.... :rolleyes: though I am nearing the point where if the offer is still open that would be great. then its time for me to obsess about other areas. even at the moment i'm having to slap myself to stop thinking about tinkering with the direct USB->DSD analogue filter instead of having a DAC at all lol.

the fifo did indeed throw a bit of a spanner in the works earlier in the year and I also considered using active analogue so it could stay, nearly bought those ATC crossover packs that were listed here earlier in the year, but having titan and having still 2 fully functional unscorched ackodacs :D as well as 3-4 different IV stages to choose from, I will just go back to Titan until Ian finishes the multichannel fifo. luckily Acko and Ian are talking about collaboration and that will add another voice, so as long as whatever the solution is can be incorporated into my system i'll be all sorted.

in the meantime i'll finish off all my amps

Last edited:
no, I think you know me well enough =) our points in this journey have crossed many times, we even share the complication of being Mac guys. its part of the reason I have not taken you up on your kind offer of help with getting this into a case yet because the shape keeps changing.... :rolleyes: though I am nearing the point where if the offer is still open that would be great. then its time for me to obsess about other areas. even at the moment i'm having to slap myself to stop thinking about tinkering with the direct USB->DSD analogue filter instead of having a DAC at all lol.

the fifo did indeed throw a bit of a spanner in the works earlier in the year and I also considered using active analogue so it could stay, nearly bought those ATC crossover packs that were listed here earlier in the year, but having titan and having still 2 fully functional unscorched ackodacs :D as well as 3-4 different IV stages to choose from, I will just go back to Titan until Ian finishes the multichannel fifo. luckily Acko and Ian are talking about collaboration and that will add another voice, so as long as whatever the solution is can be incorporated into my system i'll be all sorted.

in the meantime i'll finish off all my amps

I will be trilled to do it. You just have to let me know when you are ready and what will make sense to help you with. And yes, do the amps first, that takes big time.

Hi AR2,

I’m just wondering how did you integrate those much top audio gears into one system? What kinds of background knowledge you get to have? Each section of your system would be a big project for a guy which needs him spending years for the research. It's my honour to be part of your article, what you are doing is the conclusion :).
Ian

Ian,
Thank you, but I really do not deserve much credit. As I mentioned before, you guys who are thinkers, who make these great products and share the knowledge, that some of us use, are the ones responsible that dummies such as myself had a chance to play with outstanding gears. I just collected info, and in that process met such an amazing people, like my friend Might Zen Mod, or Alex RAAL, or Nelson Pass, who really help me learn and understand. For me, just that fact is richness of life I truly enjoy. If it is not for the DIYAudio, I would be short of such a great source of fun. For the very reason, in order to give something back to this awesome community, I came with idea and started Burning Amp Festival, since being electronic dummy I am not capable of contributing with some design that anyone can use.
But I like being electronic dummy, since my goal is not anything more than to enjoy it and make some gear that will play great music. Now, I maybe took too seriously that word "make", because I love that part too much. :D
As for my background, you and I are like P and N type, hehehe. You make electronics and it seems like you have passion for photography. I am the opposite, I use to make life through photography, and I have passion for electronic. I am not shooting professionally any more, since I started businesses tied to photography and advertising. Here on my web site you could find some articles written, my favorite is from Apple, although it is dated.

Burning Amp

than go to photography, and about.

My construction story, funny enough really started because I wanted to make a very simple system with tube amps and sensitive speakers. I came across French PHL speakers, but soon I realized I need full highs and stronger bass. I love ribbons a lot and I came with this system shown in this thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...da-phl-esg3-speakers-done-check-them-out.html

While I was making those, I learned wood working and came to realization that I love that process so much. Also, now that my system is not that simple, I needed active crossover. That is how I came to Behringer DCX2496. That one sounded really bad without mods, so...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...er-dcx2496-digital-x-over-28.html#post1370646

and than several posts bellow that one. After suffering with wires and making connections in the case, on the board... I needed better output circuitry, so with help of might Zen Mod and Cviller jFet buffer board came to life

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/186848-babelfishing-mighty-ar2.html#post2541235

Now I had sensitive top and mid, and very insensitive bass. That needed better Amp...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145387-aleph-j-x-amp-project-11.html#post2013457

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145387-aleph-j-x-amp-project-11.html#post2013498

Than I just had it nicely going than Alex RAAl decided to give me top portion of his Eternity speakers. Than Choky came with J2 designs, and I fall for them - for a very strong reasons...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/186848-babelfishing-mighty-ar2.html#post2534929

After that shoot, I splited J2 in two cases.

The rest of the story with DACs you know...

While doing all these, I needed tools.... So I came up with another obsession. I started learning machining, powder coating...
Here is my shop and lab... Lab has changed much since the shot was taken. I needed metal tools as well for my studio in order to make various grip equipment when needed, so I started learning machining, and that is how I am able to do all projects that really do need metal tools. Without that it would be much harder for me to do all the stuff I have been indulging myself with.
:p

Attachments

• Shop.jpg
    Shop.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 446
  • Vladin Lab.jpg
    Vladin Lab.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 433
  • Strug.jpg
    Strug.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Here are some shoots of epic making of my X600 that took me so long. I also have a shot of a making a shot, I know Ian that you would like to peak in the studio, hehe

Attachments

• MainAmp.jpg
    MainAmp.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 280
  • TopView.jpg
    TopView.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 280
  • Laser precision.jpg
    Laser precision.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Case2.jpg
    Case2.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Amp1.jpg
    Amp1.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 287
  • FrontPanelSideView.jpg
    FrontPanelSideView.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 283
  • _RW_0009Amp Progress.jpg
    _RW_0009Amp Progress.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 302
  • AmpStudio2.jpg
    AmpStudio2.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 342
And few more

Attachments

• Polishing sides.jpg
    Polishing sides.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 231
  • PowerSupply.jpg
    PowerSupply.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Amp Studio.jpg
    Amp Studio.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Brushing the front panel.jpg
    Brushing the front panel.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 238
  • New toy_tapping.jpg
    New toy_tapping.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Milling set up.jpg
    Milling set up.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Trafo-nesting.jpg
    Trafo-nesting.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Top-view.jpg
    Top-view.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 226
  • test fit bpanel.jpg
    test fit bpanel.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Progress.jpg
    Progress.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 296
haha incognito J2 =)

didnt realize (maybe I just didnt remember, brain is a bit foggy these days) we had graphic design/imaging (photoshop and indesign/prepress is my background) in common too, guess thats where the Mac connection comes in as well.

it realy is a completely worthy sidetrack for the thread and I believe the quality os high enough in construction that despite your modesty, everyone involved will be proud to be a part of it

yes the amps, working on them and the central nervous system to tie everything together now. i'll finish the Aleph JX one of these days, all parts are here, but I commandeered the chassis for fitting 4 channels inside so my system doessnt fill my room and leave no room for listening...

so jealous of your machine shop!

Last edited:
Si570 interest list:

1. bigpandahk
2. tagheuer
3. hochopeper
4. qusp (of course)
5. AR2 - definitely!
6. wktk_smile
7. hirez69
8. CeeVee - you bet!
9. number9
10. analog_sa - GB maniac
11. edbk
12. atom6422
13. misterrogers - Of Course!
14. NicMac - as usual!
15. Zoran 16. PET-240
17. Coolhead
18. Slartibartfasst
19. SYklab
20. Regland
21. Neb001
22. SPWONG
23. Greg Stewart (also of course!)
24. Vitalica
25. spm
26. Fridrik
27. ccliu
28. makumba1966
29. lindamar
30. Finaxe
31. Odysseas
32. palmito
33. crazikid

Ian,
Thank you, but I really do not deserve much credit. As I mentioned before, you guys who are thinkers, who make these great products and share the knowledge, that some of us use, are the ones responsible that dummies such as myself had a chance to play with outstanding gears. I just collected info, and in that process met such an amazing people, like my friend Might Zen Mod, or Alex RAAL, or Nelson Pass, who really help me learn and understand. For me, just that fact is richness of life I truly enjoy. If it is not for the DIYAudio, I would be short of such a great source of fun. For the very reason, in order to give something back to this awesome community, I came with idea and started Burning Amp Festival, since being electronic dummy I am not capable of contributing with some design that anyone can use.
But I like being electronic dummy, since my goal is not anything more than to enjoy it and make some gear that will play great music. Now, I maybe took too seriously that word "make", because I love that part too much. :D
As for my background, you and I are like P and N type, hehehe. You make electronics and it seems like you have passion for photography. I am the opposite, I use to make life through photography, and I have passion for electronic. I am not shooting professionally any more, since I started businesses tied to photography and advertising. Here on my web site you could find some articles written, my favorite is from Apple, although it is dated.

Burning Amp

than go to photography, and about.

My construction story, funny enough really started because I wanted to make a very simple system with tube amps and sensitive speakers. I came across French PHL speakers, but soon I realized I need full highs and stronger bass. I love ribbons a lot and I came with this system shown in this thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...da-phl-esg3-speakers-done-check-them-out.html

While I was making those, I learned wood working and came to realization that I love that process so much. Also, now that my system is not that simple, I needed active crossover. That is how I came to Behringer DCX2496. That one sounded really bad without mods, so...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...er-dcx2496-digital-x-over-28.html#post1370646

and than several posts bellow that one. After suffering with wires and making connections in the case, on the board... I needed better output circuitry, so with help of might Zen Mod and Cviller jFet buffer board came to life

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/186848-babelfishing-mighty-ar2.html#post2541235

Now I had sensitive top and mid, and very insensitive bass. That needed better Amp...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145387-aleph-j-x-amp-project-11.html#post2013457

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145387-aleph-j-x-amp-project-11.html#post2013498

Than I just had it nicely going than Alex RAAl decided to give me top portion of his Eternity speakers. Than Choky came with J2 designs, and I fall for them - for a very strong reasons...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/186848-babelfishing-mighty-ar2.html#post2534929

After that shoot, I splited J2 in two cases.

The rest of the story with DACs you know...

While doing all these, I needed tools.... So I came up with another obsession. I started learning machining, powder coating...
Here is my shop and lab... Lab has changed much since the shot was taken. I needed metal tools as well for my studio in order to make various grip equipment when needed, so I started learning machining, and that is how I am able to do all projects that really do need metal tools. Without that it would be much harder for me to do all the stuff I have been indulging myself with.
:p

AR2,

My god, you are really a genius!

I was more than happy showing up your pictures to my wife, because it approved finally to her that there still some guys in the world even more crazy than me:p. I suggest you writing a book named ‘Audiophiles’, hot sale will be guaranteed.

Photography is my second hobby, but now it only limited to taking FIFO pictures:D.

Look at my lab in my basement. Just hope I had a machine shop, so that I can make cases by myself as you did:).

My jaw was dropped too:D.

Ian

Attachments

• IanLab.JPG
    IanLab.JPG
    581.8 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Photography is my second hobby, but now it only limited to taking FIFO pictures:D.

Look at my lab in my basement. Just hope I had a machine shop, so that I can make cases by myself as you did:)
Ian

Ian, your shoots are really good. They are well lit, and I like your background selection - glass. Keep doing it, you are doing it well.
Thank you for sharing with us picture of your lab. We all like to peek. :p I have to say, it is just amazing what is coming out from you lab!
In my mind everyone should have a soldering iron and milling machine. :D There are really small ones that are perfect for a lot what we do. With your knowledge, you could easily convert it into small CNC, and than you could do miracles. Lately I have fun with Dremel tool, it is just amazing how much you could do with it.

Don't let qusp see that Canon lens cover Ian! I too enjoy photography though qusp does not agree with my chosen brand of camera ;)

Canon is good choice. For many years it was much better than Nikon, who only of late became competitor in that arena. My new discovery is Sony -NEX 7 for everyday fun. 64 Mb file and with that clean file with no ugly noise out of a small toy! Waiting on Qusp, hahaha.

My opinion is that glass, lighting and the photographer will always make a bigger impact than the camera ...

I take mostly motorsport photos so cropped sensor Canon body and 70-200 f/4L is my go-to setup.

That is mostly correct, but until recently some of the smaller cameras were pretty much useless in lower light situation, like Panasonic. Very ugly noise and fringing. Good Leitz lens and horrible chip. Cool feature about this new small Sony NEX 7 is that through adapters you could put any lens. Files are mint. Obviously I am not comparing it to some of my bigger cameras.

Nikor = win ;)

it may not be the same anymore, but the problem I had with the canon SLRs was that they were forever changing their autofocus and metering technology/system, so great lenses were rendered obsolete with a new camera, you had to make hacksaw modifications to the bayonette to even make them fit. I dont like this underhanded strategy so it put me off

besides Nikon are the more rugged build quality ;P

Last edited: