Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 90 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2012, 06:13 PM   #891
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
You can flip the clock board and use 1" cables, but it will look UGLY :-)
That's really a smart idea . I did't think of it .

Ian
Old 30th August 2012, 11:34 PM   #892
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

May I ask two questions regarding an application of this great FIFO board to ES9018 DACs?

How many users are using a synchronous master clock method and how do they feel about the resulting sound quality?
In the case of usual asynchronous clocking, which top notch have they attained on DPLL bandwidth parameter for 192kHz/24bit I2S input? In general, they say the value can be an index to measure a jitter in incoming signals.

Thank you!
Old 31st August 2012, 01:34 AM   #893
diyAudio Member

Default Stack clock board on top of FIFO board, an alternative solution from glt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
You can flip the clock board and use 1" cables, but it will look UGLY :-)

Another smart idea indeed. They look nice too. The good thing is the original short cables are OK for this solution. Just need longer standoffs. All connectors are at back of the PCB. But I donít think itís a big issue for a well settled system.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StackDouble1.JPG (306.9 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg StackDouble2.JPG (306.5 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg StackDouble3.JPG (62.7 KB, 351 views)
Old 31st August 2012, 02:59 AM   #894
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Another smart idea indeed. They look nice too. The good thing is the original short cables are OK for this solution. Just need longer standoffs. All connectors are at back of the PCB. But I donít think itís a big issue for a well settled system.

Ian
Yeah looks nice. You've designed your boards so they look nice on the backside too.
Old 31st August 2012, 07:22 AM   #895
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Very neat
Old 31st August 2012, 03:07 PM   #896
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Ian,
my package arrived while I was traveling. I had last night time for a first time to admire the beauty of it. This is really awesome product, one of the best on DIY. I have to say you did a lot, from design, to assembly, and even packaging is professional. Actually, the whole product is groundbreaking and in its concept waaaay ahead of many consumer products. Thank you very much for putting so much effort for us! I hope you keep interest in developing and making available your products for us. Although it is convenient to receive the finished assembled board, many of us are capable of putting it together on our own. Please keep that in your mind if you will find that helpful.

Greatly thankful and happy new FIFO owner.
Old 1st September 2012, 03:50 PM   #897
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Ian,
my package arrived while I was traveling. I had last night time for a first time to admire the beauty of it. This is really awesome product, one of the best on DIY. I have to say you did a lot, from design, to assembly, and even packaging is professional. Actually, the whole product is groundbreaking and in its concept waaaay ahead of many consumer products. Thank you very much for putting so much effort for us! I hope you keep interest in developing and making available your products for us. Although it is convenient to receive the finished assembled board, many of us are capable of putting it together on our own. Please keep that in your mind if you will find that helpful.

Greatly thankful and happy new FIFO owner.
Thank you so much AR2. My pleasure. Enjoy having the FIFO with your system and let know any discovery on different XO and PSU.

Have a nice weekend.

Ian
Old 2nd September 2012, 03:09 AM   #898
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
May I ask two questions regarding an application of this great FIFO board to ES9018 DACs?

How many users are using a synchronous master clock method and how do they feel about the resulting sound quality?
In the case of usual asynchronous clocking, which top notch have they attained on DPLL bandwidth parameter for 192kHz/24bit I2S input? In general, they say the value can be an index to measure a jitter in incoming signals.

Thank you!
That number is only referenced to 9018 mclk, indicating some relationship between phase difference accumulating.

Will post some result once I'm done.

Ian
Old 2nd September 2012, 05:56 AM   #899
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Ian, before I get my hands busy, a few questions if my understanding is correct. My configuration: Lightharmonic USB to I2S board, ES9012 DAC, FIFO board with S/PDIF board and dual clock.

1. If S/PDIF board is used, does using I2S signal from my USB board, is possible only through additional I2S input port on S/PDIF board?

2. My assumption is that DAC would work the best if used in synchronous mode with FIFO? My USB board also allows to be used as slave ( in master mode uses two clocks with automatic switching) Is it possible to send clock signals to both DAC and USB board? For slave mode I would need to send both clock signals? Or I would be better to leave USB board and just to sync DAC?

3. If I am to use front panel mounted input switching, do I replace your switch with any momentary switch? I need to allow for switching between two sources - S/PDIF and I2S from the board. I will not be sending any S/PDIF signal out.

4. What are the specs for LEDs or your board if I am to replace them with front panel mounted LEDs? I am thinking of taking off LEDs from the board and run wires to the front panel mounted LEDs for input markings.

5. Lastly, I am thinking of buying clocks in the following speeds for the dual clock board - 45.1584 MHz and 49.152 MHz, are these OK for ESS 9012? I am aware that FIFO board doesn't cover 384 KHz, but it goes up to 192KHz.

Here are few images of USB board and front panel board that already has switches and LEDs, that I would like to utilize. That board was preexisting and I am able to utilize it withs some modifications. That is explanation for questions No. 4.

Thank you

Vladimir
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Titan.jpg (174.9 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg DAC-and-other-boards-11893.jpg (165.9 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by AR2; 2nd September 2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:29 AM   #900
ggking7 is offline ggking7  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't realize this was being offered fully-assembled. Can I implement this with very basic soldering skills or is it experts-only?

Hide this!Advertise here!