Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2012, 07:27 AM   #641
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinsula View Post
Hi, look here.
Thank you.

Would you guys think this would be a must for any S/PDIF DAC? I2S requires 3 lines minimum, which is a lot for equipment interconnection if you were to transmit via 75 ohm coax.
Old 10th June 2012, 08:16 AM   #642
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Woops, I forget to hit the upload button when I've browsed to my documents, sorry.
Attached Files
File Type: txt PCB related links.txt (5.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 11th June 2012, 05:34 AM   #643
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuman100 View Post
Thank you.

Would you guys think this would be a must for any S/PDIF DAC? I2S requires 3 lines minimum, which is a lot for equipment interconnection if you were to transmit via 75 ohm coax.
i'm not sure I understand what you mean. transmit what by 75ohm coax? and from where? its supposed to be installed in your dac. you would never transmit i2s by 75ohm coax, it should be 50ohms, you havent noticed the tiny u.fl micro BNC connectors and cables the fifo uses?

well put it this way, if you must persist in sticking with spdif, then this is a really good leveler and for the money its a steal, dacs that come with this sort of system run to 5 figures

Last edited by qusp; 11th June 2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:54 AM   #644
diyAudio Member

Default Connecting to Buffallo III

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
I forgot who gave me this suggestion. But with running at sync mode, my own experiencing shows current BIII input port and the local XO adapter still have space getting some improvement for the last drop of juice . So I designed this PCB KIT. Actuall two adapters integrated together.

One is the input adapter. I put a 20P SMT head on the bottom side to get connect with B III, on the top side, there is a group of U.FL connectors which could improve the signal quality. For stereo I2S aplication, only three U.FL socket are required. Because at the sync mode, ESS9018 still very sensitive to the input I2S sck, improving the signal transmitting quality is very important.

The other one is the local clock adapter. It will be soldered vertically right above the local clock position by a right angle 3P connector pins. If you put a local XO (make use of the 100Mhz CCHD950 for example) into the socket, ESS9018 will run at async mode. or, If you want to run the sync mode, you just need to remove the local XO from the socket and connect the MCLK cable from FIFO clock board into the U.FL socket on the adapter PCB. So, you can switch between the two mode quickly to enjoy both, or doing some listing compare.

Ian
Good day, Ian!

I followed this thread with highest intrest though I understand the material just globally.
I own the Buff III as well and thriving for the best quality in using this DAC, I
like to use the Fifo and the double clockboard. My TP-Buffalo III setup exist of the four inputs SPidf module plus the sidecar, for switching between I2s and SPdif material. Next to this I use the Waveio USB-I2s card for playing Wav and Flac files from PC.
Can I just place the Fifo+clock between the output of the 4*Spidf board and the Dac? (for SPdif) And and (for the I2s connections) from the sidecar to the I2s connections of the Fifo to the I2s input of the Dac?
Or should I forget the sidecar and can I use both I2s an SPidf connections from the Fifo? And can I choose on the Fifo for both types of inputs?
Is it possible to use your SPdif-board in conjunction with the buffalo 4*input board?
Sorry, lots of questions, hopefully a simple answer,
Thank you for all your fantastic work!
Ed

Last edited by ed linssen; 11th June 2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Forgot mentioning the Wavio.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:53 AM   #645
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed linssen View Post
Good day, Ian!

I followed this thread with highest intrest though I understand the material just globally.
I own the Buff III as well and thriving for the best quality in using this DAC, I
like to use the Fifo and the double clockboard. My TP-Buffalo III setup exist of the four inputs SPidf module plus the sidecar, for switching between I2s and SPdif material. Next to this I use the Waveio USB-I2s card for playing Wav and Flac files from PC.
Can I just place the Fifo+clock between the output of the 4*Spidf board and the Dac? (for SPdif) And and (for the I2s connections) from the sidecar to the I2s connections of the Fifo to the I2s input of the Dac?
Or should I forget the sidecar and can I use both I2s an SPidf connections from the Fifo? And can I choose on the Fifo for both types of inputs?
Is it possible to use your SPdif-board in conjunction with the buffalo 4*input board?
Sorry, lots of questions, hopefully a simple answer,
Thank you for all your fantastic work!
Ed
Hi Ed.
Basically FIFO is I2S in and i2S out, while with S/PDIF buard will be S/PDIFs in and I2S out. Anything under is condition is OK. I'm using the second configuration. I don't have the sidecar of the 4*SPDIF board. I suspect the 4*SPDIF boad could go before the spdif board. But the spdif board already have three spdif input .
Have a good night
Ian
Old 13th June 2012, 01:55 AM   #646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Hi Ed.
Basically FIFO is I2S in and i2S out, while with S/PDIF buard will be S/PDIFs in and I2S out. Anything under is condition is OK. I'm using the second configuration. I don't have the sidecar of the 4*SPDIF board. I suspect the 4*SPDIF boad could go before the spdif board. But the spdif board already have three spdif input .
Have a good night
Ian
Hi Ian

I have exactly the same configuration as Ed except I don't have the 4*S/PDIF. I still can't figure out how to connect FIFO and WaveIO to the BIII and switching between them. according to qusp, the sidecar is not a good choice for switching I2S signal. Can you give me some suggestion?
Old 13th June 2012, 02:13 AM   #647
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Curiosity, would you not feed the WaveIO into the FIFO into the B III?

I have an Alix board running mpdpup Linux feeding the Wave which is planned to then feed FIFO to B III.

I am also trying to figure out the switching I2S. Ian have you any thoughts?
Old 13th June 2012, 02:20 AM   #648
diyAudio Member

The FIFO doesn't have the extra I2S input for external device such as WaveIO. I am thinking of using Ian's 2 * BIII adaptor board + sidecar for I2S switching.
Old 13th June 2012, 02:56 AM   #649
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

So you want SPDIF and USB input?
Old 13th June 2012, 03:21 AM   #650
diyAudio Member

Of course, that's why I purchase the waveIO.

Hide this!Advertise here!