Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2012, 10:43 PM   #601
diyAudio Member

Default Buffalo III sync mode interface PCB KIT design

I forgot who gave me this suggestion. But with running at sync mode, my own experiencing shows current BIII input port and the local XO adapter still have space getting some improvement for the last drop of juice . So I designed this PCB KIT. Actuall two adapters integrated together.

One is the input adapter. I put a 20P SMT head on the bottom side to get connect with B III, on the top side, there is a group of U.FL connectors which could improve the signal quality. For stereo I2S aplication, only three U.FL socket are required. Because at the sync mode, ESS9018 still very sensitive to the input I2S sck, improving the signal transmitting quality is very important.

The other one is the local clock adapter. It will be soldered vertically right above the local clock position by a right angle 3P connector pins. If you put a local XO (make use of the 100Mhz CCHD950 for example) into the socket, ESS9018 will run at async mode. or, If you want to run the sync mode, you just need to remove the local XO from the socket and connect the MCLK cable from FIFO clock board into the U.FL socket on the adapter PCB. So, you can switch between the two mode quickly to enjoy both, or doing some listing compare.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: png 2012-06-03BIIIadapter.png (107.3 KB, 466 views)

Last edited by iancanada; 3rd June 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:50 PM   #602
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Ian that's fantastic! I'm waiting for my BIII, FIFO, etc. to land and I plan to follow in your steps with these modes. What are your thoughts with this board? Or more directly - how can I and other BIII builders get their hands on one of these?
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:56 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
I forgot who gave me this suggestion. But with running at sync mode, my own experiencing shows current BIII input port and the local XO adapter still have space getting some improvement for the last drop of juice . So I designed this PCB KIT. Actuall two adapters integrated together.

One is the input adapter. I put a 20P SMT head on the bottom side to get connect with B III, on the top side, there is a group of U.FL connectors which could improve the signal quality. For stereo I2S aplication, only three U.FL socket are required. Because at the sync mode, ESS9018 still very sensitive to the input I2S sck, improving the signal transmitting quality is very important.

The other one is the local clock adapter. It will be soldered vertically right above the local clock position by a right angle 3P connector pins. If you put a local XO (make use of the 100Mhz CCHD950 for example) into the socket, ESS9018 will run at async mode. or, If you want to run the sync mode, you just need to remove the local XO from the socket and connect the MCLK cable from FIFO clock board into the U.FL socket on the adapter PCB. So, you can switch between the two mode quickly to enjoy both, or doing some listing compare.

Ian
Ian

Great Job. Although I managed to solder the U.FL sockets onto the BIII PCB, but all three sockets are broken when I tried to disconnect the cables.

One suggestion, is it possible to modify the PCB so that it can switch between two I2S source (e.g. FIFO + WaveIO)? Or I can use the Sidecar with two PCB?
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:22 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nice work Ian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Could you give any details on how you're terminating that i2s from u.fl into the pin female pin header? Have you had any thoughts on how to improve the situation at the DAC end of that interface? I've had thoughts about making a small pcb to convert pin headers to u.fl sockets and would appreciate your thoughts/experiences. I guess there is probably a bunch of other people in this thread looking to interface this board to DACs that don't always have ideal methods for connecting the i2s signal.
For anyone else who's interested I have emailed TPA about BIII being supplied without onboard XO and they aren't able to provide this so you've got to remove them yourself if you want to follow Ian, qusp and others recommendation to remove it.
Old 4th June 2012, 12:03 AM   #605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Nice work Ian!

For anyone else who's interested I have emailed TPA about BIII being supplied without onboard XO and they aren't able to provide this so you've got to remove them yourself if you want to follow Ian, qusp and others recommendation to remove it.
Thanks hochoperper, I remember now it was you who provided this suggestion.

At beginning I thought it would be very hard to achieve. But when I realized this problem has to be solved, I got an idea mounting the header and u.fl on the different side of the adapter. It seems OK. I will make some prototype PCB the next.

Ian
Old 4th June 2012, 05:07 AM   #606
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ian, thats great mate, any chance of putting the 2.54mm positions in between? i've been wanting to make exactly this for interfacing with titan, which has RJ45 or strip header. actually looking at it, the BIII uses 2.54 strip headers now doesnt it? I would use this for interfacing titan, which has RJ45, or strip header
Old 4th June 2012, 05:10 AM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Ian

Great Job. Although I managed to solder the U.FL sockets onto the BIII PCB, but all three sockets are broken when I tried to disconnect the cables.

One suggestion, is it possible to modify the PCB so that it can switch between two I2S source (e.g. FIFO + WaveIO)? Or I can use the Sidecar with two PCB?
bad idea, high speed switching is not a simple task and will ruin performance for both devices. you must do this actively, passive switching will ruin impedance termination
Old 4th June 2012, 05:30 AM   #608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks hochoperper, I remember now it was you who provided this suggestion.

At beginning I thought it would be very hard to achieve. But when I realized this problem has to be solved, I got an idea mounting the header and u.fl on the different side of the adapter. It seems OK. I will make some prototype PCB the next.

Ian
yeah and you'll never guess who made the suggestion to him =)
Old 4th June 2012, 05:38 AM   #609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yeah and you'll never guess who made the suggestion to him =)
Old 4th June 2012, 05:41 AM   #610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
bad idea, high speed switching is not a simple task and will ruin performance for both devices. you must do this actively, passive switching will ruin impedance termination
Thanks for your advice.

Hide this!Advertise here!