Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 48 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2012, 04:09 PM   #471
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
in fact I was EXPECTED to report on and suggest improvements for the unit with my dacs...which...strangely.... are sabres. sabre sabre sabre sabre sabre 9012, 9018 sabre sabre 9012
So....how do you like it with the sabre?
Old 8th May 2012, 05:18 PM   #472
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Ian, about your new formats:
The output of the FIFO is still always 32bit per frame, i think?
Old 8th May 2012, 06:06 PM   #473
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what operating system?[...]
Windows....XP or 7, so no Puremusic, but thanks for the suggestion.

The reason that i'd like to do oversampling offline is that the music should be played from NAS, without PC, through Network Player with S/PDIF output.
Should work very well for 44.1/16 material (CD's, that's what i have) after oversampling offline.

With my DVD / Sat receiver, the FIFO will not go well together anyway. I can only more or less delay the audio stream compared to the video stream. With the already delayed audio because of FIFO, films will be out of lip sync.

Quote:
[...]it uses 64bit apodising filters, I would assume you wanted apodising?
Audio quality is said to be good with those filters, i think it's the same as minimum phase filters. Not sure about that.
Old 8th May 2012, 07:08 PM   #474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
get a grip regal, seriously mate, where does the functionality end? its quite incredible how bitter you are and about what? because your precious dac topology is getting passed or over on occasion? I ignored your veiled, threatening, accusatory and deluded PM on behalf of the nos, R2R or external filter? mafia because I didnt want to give you acknowledgement, it was truly funny.

(yes I was PM'd accused of having unnamed ulterior motives and pushing development towards the sabre; told that people were wondering (shill? not sure the accusation was pretty vague) and the hundreds thousands, millions? (bites pinky) of other users and their dacs that must have attention instead and Regal was apparently elected the mouthpiece to pass this friendly message on?; this rant was delivered as if I had some sort of control of the outcome, or other motive other than just liking to use my dac with hardware I have in my possession. ignoring the fact that the thing pushing development in that direction was Ian exploring the limits of the device, an obvious interest in trying the buff/sabre and thus an interest in how they worked together, not me)

so you disagree that endless requests are not productive? I dont see you doing the work, I just see you making the requests to be catered for by a great member who likles to help people and I see him and his time being taken for granted TBH. have you noticed that Ian has actually bought a buff 3? you still think i'm the one pushing development in that direction as an option? I havent posted in here for ages and theres just page after page of different functions and then when I dare to suggest that might be enough I get this ****?

pretty delicious irony dont you think?
Hi guys,

My question is how many people in the world keep the same hobby? And how many people in this forum could go through all the details of this thread, take consideration and provide their ideas?

All your suggestions are treasured for me. Qusp was a good example. He suggested the U.FL connecters and cables for me which made big progress for the FIFO project to generate better master clock. I'm still full with thanks.

I was an 'old fashion' audiophile. I went through all the old gear in the past, KT88,2A3,300B,WE310,CDM4,CDM9,TDA1541,PCM58,AD1865 ....But I found some new technologies are not that bad recently, that's why I pay great effort developing this FIFO project. And it's approved! So, I think what I'm doing right now is trying to improve the sound quality by introducing better clock with the FIFO platform, for DACs, DSPs, both new and old.

I love this website, your feedbacks is my motivation. Although I'm still losing money from the GB , but nothing compare with the pleasure you brought to me.

It seems there are a lot of things need to do the next. So, I'll keep going with this project. Your participation would be always highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by iancanada; 8th May 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 8th May 2012, 07:47 PM   #475
diyAudio Member

Well, it is really sad if you are loosing instead of making money from that GB
That device would add a four figure number to the price of a DAC from any well respected manufacturer that advertises in magazines and we would be able to read at least two pages of marketing BS how this is impossible to be made by others...

Ian, we are very thankful for what you offered at such a great price, not to mention that you are still trying to make it better and make everybody happy. Hadn't seen that attitude in a while...

1704 is still in production as is the 9018 and there are people like me that have both, so I feel kind of happy that I don't have to choose I have heard great things about the 1862 but I am not going to buy the kit and then go on and try to find the impossible to find at a ridiculous price, not that the aforementioned ones are cheap...
Old 9th May 2012, 04:53 AM   #476
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your time developing this and providing support - very good of you !

I'm planning to use this in a few different DACS and I'm sure it'll be fine in all except one - a TDA1543 I2S DAC with sixteen DAC ICs - overload ?

At the moment, the 16 DAC ICs are connected through a 74HC125. There are 8 pairs of DAC ICs and there are 33R resistors at the input on every line into each pair.

Here is the diagram.

Click the image to open in full size.

Any suggestions for making this work at its best ? Thanks very much.
Old 9th May 2012, 05:07 AM   #477
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

If this is like the TeraDAK chameleon it will require the isolated outputs used with 5V logic levels, I remember reading through that mod tread where Steve Nugent(Empirical Audio) modded one of his friend TeraDAC's to use I2S, it also has 16 x 1543, I have one as well and am looking to drive it this way possibly.
So if the FIFO is happy with 5V logic it should be ok.
though from memory Steve only had resistors at each end of the I2S lines.
This also rings true with qusp's observation of the controlled impedance of the u.fl connectors etc.
incorrect termination of I2S causes reflections on the lines which can add "jitter" or "smearing" or some technical term I'm not familliar with, these are usually sorted with a cro.

my two cents.

Drew.
Old 9th May 2012, 05:18 AM   #478
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Drew,

I was thinking of removing the 74HC125 and using Ian's FIFO instead of it, or keep the 74HC and use Ian's FIFO after it. I want to upgrade to VHC but I can only find so16 size, no dip.

Here's some pics of the DAC (only 8 ICs here but I'm using 16). It uses WM8805 receiver and has an I2S rj45 input too. The circuit diagrams are not 100% accurate.

Last edited by KlipschKid; 9th May 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 9th May 2012, 05:43 AM   #479
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member

Another option would be to see if you can run the 5V logic after the FIFO if it wont run 5V TTL, look up reference TDA1541 project(red baron) by dvbprojekt on here, he uses a faster flip flop instead of the 74HC. this may reduce the jitter aspect. Only I an cann tell you
There are adaptor pcb adout and I think dvbproject has some he sells.
This FIFO could only improve the dac I think from what we can read here on peoples responses to hearing it.
I would test but I am in GBII. I hope.

Hope that helps.

Drew.
Old 9th May 2012, 06:23 AM   #480
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
[...]The FIFO board support 128,256,512 and 1024fs. Both new and old firmware are. But I can not support 192,384 and 768fs. The internal logic is based on /2,/4,/8/16... If add /3,/6 the Fmax will be suffer. I'm concerned about the performance.
Understood... Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!