Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

From what I have read the new clocks have an ultra low noise floor. Like 14 stories underground. Ie -140db. Which means more signal. There are posts with measurements comparing them to other clocks.

The basics - isolation, low noise, clean power are what gets the good sound. And good engineering.

For my DAC will be Ian’s purepi, receiver pi pro, fifopiq7 with new clocks, dual mono DAC board and the I/IV analogue xlr out board. I’m not sure if this works without a pi or not. That I have to figure out. Ideally I don’t need the pi in this stack.
@fusion360guy
Thanks again for sharing. For beginners like me, this looks best way to start...I see other vides on DAC's which are high-end setup and need more experience to build. I am in preparation for streamer build to start with. will go through more details related to DAC and will keep up update on progress....

Ultimate DIY streaming stack

IMG_8031.jpeg

0. Spiked feet 👣 for that lunar lander 🚀 look
1. PuriPi (clean power)
2. RPi3B (Volumio, ShAirPlay, SSD FLAC)
2a. waveshare 4.3 inch DSI LCD Display for Raspberry Pi. No changes needed with current Volumio. Out of the box works.
3. ShieldPi Pro (noise reduction)
4. FiFoPiQ7 (re-clock magic potion)
5. MonitorPiPro for control, statistics and infra red receiver.
5a. Re-purposed Apple Remote. Works with Volumio and MonitorPi. See Ian’s instructions.
6. TransportPi AES (digital transport to an external DAC). Or use HDMIPro for I2S out.
7. External SSD into RPi USB for your high res audio files.
8. Send out to external DAC via coax digital or optical or i2S HDMI Ian transport boards
9. Serendipity 😍
10. Build Ian DAC to replace your external DAC 😂

Attachments

• IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: 1 users
Ultimate DIY streaming stack

View attachment 1207800

0. Spiked feet 👣 for that lunar lander 🚀 look
1. PuriPi (clean power)
2. RPi3B (Volumio, ShAirPlay, SSD FLAC)
2a. waveshare 4.3 inch DSI LCD Display for Raspberry Pi. No changes needed with current Volumio. Out of the box works.
3. ShieldPi Pro (noise reduction)
4. FiFoPiQ7 (re-clock magic potion)
5. MonitorPiPro for control, statistics and infra red receiver.
5a. Re-purposed Apple Remote. Works with Volumio and MonitorPi. See Ian’s instructions.
6. TransportPi AES (digital transport to an external DAC). Or use HDMIPro for I2S out.
7. External SSD into RPi USB for your high res audio files.
8. Send out to external DAC via coax digital or optical or i2S HDMI Ian transport boards
9. Serendipity 😍
10. Build Ian DAC to replace your external DAC 😂

Hi! Which DAC is your build using? Any DAC recommendation for a build like yours? (I saw tda1387 could be an option, but not really available or you have to solder it yourself)

I would like to build something like this but I need to have HDMI-IN (sound would come from an apple TV). Is there a raspberry module/board available to achieve that?

Thanks.

Hi! Which DAC is your build using? Any DAC recommendation for a build like yours? (I saw tda1387 could be an option, but not really available or you have to solder it yourself)

I would like to build something like this but I need to have HDMI-IN (sound would come from an apple TV). Is there a raspberry module/board available to achieve that?

Thanks.
Hi. This is a ´streamer transport’. There is no DAC board because it is sending out a digital signal to an external commercial DAC. The input is from the RPi (ssd drive and airplay network service) which is already digital so no DAC required.

This thread is about the hardware the Ian Canada makes mainly.

Ian Canada

I’ll be making a custom DAC soon so maybe check back and in the meantime research the documents above.

Reactions: 1 user
edit: oups, read it wrong. Just saw you built a streaming stack :LOL:, not a DAC

but question about dac recommendation & hdmi remains :)
Your HDMI output on the Apple TV carries audio and video. It probably goes to a TV or AV receiver unit with a digital output - either coax digital out or optical out.

The easiest way is to take that digital sound output of the TV or A/V and put it into a digital input in the DAC. So receiver pi or receiver pi pro. The HDMI inputs on these boards are i2S over HDMI so it can’t go directly from your Apple TV HDMI.

Last edited:
Your HDMI output on the Apple TV carries audio and video. It probably goes to a TV or AV receiver unit with a digital output - either coax digital out or optical out.

The easiest way is to take that digital sound output of the TV or A/V and put it into a digital input in the DAC. So receiver pi or receiver pi pro. The HDMI inputs on these boards are i2S over HDMI so it can’t go directly from your Apple TV HDMI.

no my plan was to have an apple tv as streamer.
ATV -> DAC -> Amplifier -> Speakers

and only way to avoid to much loss with atv is to use hdmi. Otherwise I have to check if a mac mini would be a solution to stream music from apple music but I'm not sure if it's as convenient as ATV

But if there's no raspberry board/extension which is doing that I could search for a some hdmi to ?? converter, but I'm a bit worried about quality with such converters...

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

I wonder how do you guys connect the grounds to PE in your diy streamers. The RPI and Ian Canada or other Hat's mostly has separate linear PSU's on this forum. The grounds from RPI and the Hat's are separate/isolated. And also the PSU's are. But do you connect these PSU grounds(after the regulators) on PE/Chassis Earth?
If so,
-do you connect both PSU's (Dirty and Clean) on this PE/Chassis (and thus connect the dirty and clean ground)?
-Or just one (RPI Psu or Hat PSU).
-Or both with a ground lift('s)?
-Or none (floating)

What's best? Looks very important to me. The wrong wiring can mess up al your effort to a good streamer.

Last edited:
no my plan was to have an apple tv as streamer.
ATV -> DAC -> Amplifier -> Speakers

and only way to avoid to much loss with atv is to use hdmi. Otherwise I have to check if a mac mini would be a solution to stream music from apple music but I'm not sure if it's as convenient as ATV

But if there's no raspberry board/extension which is doing that I could search for a some hdmi to ?? converter, but I'm a bit worried about quality with such converters...

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.
Apple TV is not an audio streamer. There may be tech that converts regular HDMI to an audio signal capable of being sent to a DAC. I’m not sure it is audiophile. I’ll let others weigh in here. Do a search on Google for hdmi to i2S.

I wonder how do you guys connect the grounds to PE in your diy streamers. The RPI and Ian Canada or other Hat's mostly has separate linear PSU's on this forum. The grounds from RPI and the Hat's are separate/isolated. And also the PSU's are. But do you connect these PSU grounds(after the regulators) on PE/Chassis Earth?
If so,
-do you connect both PSU's (Dirty and Clean) on this PE/Chassis (and thus connect the dirty and clean ground)?
-Or just one (RPI Psu or Hat PSU).
-Or both with a ground lift('s)?
-Or none (floating)

What's best? Looks very important to me. The wrong wiring can mess up al your effort to a good streamer.
The power supplies are 5v DC and have no earth ground in the AC plug (no 3rd prong on them). So the physical box ground has nowhere to go. I thought DC circuits didn’t have a physical ground. Just a ‘circuit ground’ for the juice to flow.

The power supplies are 5v DC and have no earth ground in the AC plug (no 3rd prong on them). So the physical box ground has nowhere to go. I thought DC circuits didn’t have a physical ground. Just a ‘circuit ground’ for the juice to flow.
But these 5v dc powers have a PE/chassis connection. These are/can be connected to your minus output/circuit ground dc. So, then there is the connection of both 5v grounds. They "connect" somewhere in your chain depending on how the psu's are set-up.

Last edited: