Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Inspired by «gabster» on youtube. Copper shielding the clocks. Maybe I should ground the shield ? Anyway, time will tell if there is any upgrade doing this.
IMG_1410.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
@fusion360guy
Referring to your line "Here I’m playing via I2S with no i2S HAT", Could you please share more about how you are doing this and input and output connection details....
Hi. Sorry what I meant was I was directing the audio signal via Volumio to a i2S DAC just to get the signals going to the gpio pins so that monitor pi can then read the data. Obviously I wasn’t getting audible audio without a DAC or output board installed but it lets me test the MPi reading the pins. Does that make sense?

@Drive Shaft

Appears that there are quite a few builds on another thread that could be much cheaper as a starting point for me. Then perhaps when the components I'm looking for with Ian's stuff, I may jump in then when they become available. To be perfectly honest, I'd really prefer to build something that would allow me to upgrade to better stuff in the future. I'm sure that better components will come out as with most things these days. Jus a matter of time..lol

I wish you luck on your Ian Journey. It's time for me to move on as I barely have enough energy left in this hobby for my Summer Project. All my DIY tools and parts are stored back in the attic. It's time to get back to being an end-user, not a DIY-er, and to focus on collecting well-mastered CDs until GB2025. Mentally checking out as collecting well-mastered CDs is a part-time job in itself, so this hobby never ends it just re-focusing your energy elsewhere, so in this case completing my well-mastered CD collection.

After further evaluation, instead of spending hard-earned money on a optical HAT output to keep your Peachtree PreDAC in the loop, I think the money would be better spent on a Ian DAC HAT and OUTPUT HAT. Since the Ian DAC is more modern and more integrated into the Ian Stack, the synergy should be better.

So C542 -> Toslink -> Ian's Stack -> Peachtree PreDAC should render an modern improvement with some isolation over C542 -> Coax -> Peachtree PreDAC
Here you would need a optical HAT to continue using your legacy Peachtree. ReceiverPi DDC -> Q7 -> TransportPiAES -> Peachtree -> AMP

Forego the optical HAT and use that budget for a Ian DAC + Output instead directly into your AMP. ReceiverPi DDC -> Q7 -> IAN DAC -> IAN OUTPUT -> AMP.

I think that should be okay if you are ready to move on from the Peachtree. You just have to cross your fingers for USB in the upcoming ReceiverPi DDC so you can use the JRiver setup.

C542 -> ReceiverPi DDC -> Q7 -> IAN DAC -> IAN OUTPUT -> AMP.
JRiver -> WireWorld -> ReceiverPi DDC -> Q7 -> IAN DAC -> IAN OUTPUT -> AMP.

So since you have two sources, you will need a StationPi Pro and upcoming StationPi Controller. The Controller will act like the Peachtree PreDAC in that you can easily switch between USB and OPT IN in the future.

That's all I can comment on as I moved on from traditional OEM gear a long time ago.

But for I, it's hard-earned money well spent as Ian gear is pretty great price-performance value:
  1. UcPure / UcBalancer UltraCaps powering a USB optical cable [A dream, no Commercial equivalent, value immeasurable]
  2. UcPure / UcBalancer UltraCaps powering a FPGA DAC [A dream, no Commercial equivalent, value immeasurable]
  3. SOTA (State of The Art) Clocks powered by Batteries [A dream, other Battery options but not Audiophile option]
  4. SOTA Toslink Chain with modern components [A dream, no Commercial equivalent, value immeasurable]
  5. Passive power supplies that measure in the millioOhms [A dream, no Commercial equivalent, value immeasurable]
So I hope when all is said and done that it gives you the lift you are looking for. For I, I would likely quit this hobby if not for Ian's gear as it just not worth justifying the hobby if it's not my dream Off Mains meticulous setup. But with that said, I'm deep down the rabbit hole of collecting well-mastered CDs so I turn my attention now to Steve Hoffman's website not this website anymore. Standard / Generic resolution is more like background noise. Well-mastered resolution is more like a living experience, but only if your chain is super tight with no leaks. Impossible to build a super tight chain without Ian gear IMO. I love this quote on Steve Hoffman's website as "dead quiet" is what I think about when I do serious listening on Ian's chain:

Our own Steve Hoffman is quoted twice in the testimonials down the page: " ... absence of hum or noise ... dead quiet ...."

Last edited:
Hi. Sorry what I meant was I was directing the audio signal via Volumio to a i2S DAC just to get the signals going to the gpio pins so that monitor pi can then read the data. Obviously I wasn’t getting audible audio without a DAC or output board installed but it lets me test the MPi reading the pins. Does that make sense?
Thanks for your response. Now it's clear. :)
Apart from this one more point to check.... if the DAC is not supporting DSD then what will be the output or response if we use this Ian AES/I2S Streamer and push DSD file to play?

By any chance did you compare below 2 options in terms of Sound quality, Overall value for cost proportion, Future Proof...…?
Particularly if we have Schiit Bifrost 2/64.... which is not with I2S and no DSD support....

UcConditionerMkII 3.3V
TransportPi Digi
MonitorPi OLED
ShieldPi Pro MkII
PurePi 5V + 3.3V

Vs

UcConditioner 3.3V
TransportPiAES
FifoPi Q7 flagship 768KHz I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO
MonitorPi OLED
ShieldPi Pro MkII
PurePi 5V + 3.3V

Please advise.

Hmm. I haven’t tried the stack without FIFOPiQ7 yet. That board is what got me involved when I read what it does. I think the magic is in there. When I feed my DAC a signal from the Ian streamer I built it just is no comparison in sound to the usb or Bluetooth input of the Cambridge inputs.

I don’t use DSD yet but my Cambridge dacmagic 200m supports it. I would assume if you send the bitfrost device DSD from an Ian stack it wouldn’t know what to do with it as you say it doesn’t support i2S or DSD right?

I just have purepi in the streamer I built. The whole stack is completely silent even when turning in off and plugging stuff in. Amazing stuff.

@Drive Shaft

Thanks again for your detailed info! Perhaps I should consider joining the Steve Hoffman's forum! BTW, I believe that my icepower1200as2 amp module is on it's way out. I'd like to fix the issue it keeps doing, but it may be deeper than what I could do. I started a thread on the issues I am having, so we shall see. I also tried to pm you, but I imagine you have that setting off. I imagine if I can't get the issue with my ice amp, I'll be looking to build another amp using something like the Purifi and components or something compatible or better? No use in letting my Italian enclosure go to waste..lol I do have a lot of room on the inside, so I'm sure I can put all the components I need in there. Once again I really appreciate you taking the time to give your feed back to me! Cheers!! :)

Reactions: 1 user

fusion360guy

With Fifo it's amazing for sure. I was curious to see how much improvement from Digi. let's say If Digi is already 90+% achievable then for remaining 10% this will take us to good amount of cost because of combo card flagship. Even with Digi I thought of keeping PurePi.
May be the Sync factor from Fifo is the actual back end magic.

Did you got chance to check things with and without ShieldPi Pro MkII. how much improvement...
Which clocks you are using? hope you are with Linear PSU as well.
Did you also plan UcConditionerMkII 3.3V? if not any specific reason....
Reason for going for MonitorPi Pro than MonitorPi. Waiting on comparison from Ian to understand better.

I got an update, DAC without DSD support will still play with DoP.

Ian products are Great!!!

fusion360guy

With Fifo it's amazing for sure. I was curious to see how much improvement from Digi. let's say If Digi is already 90+% achievable then for remaining 10% this will take us to good amount of cost because of combo card flagship. Even with Digi I thought of keeping PurePi.
May be the Sync factor from Fifo is the actual back end magic.

Did you got chance to check things with and without ShieldPi Pro MkII. how much improvement...
Which clocks you are using? hope you are with Linear PSU as well.
Did you also plan UcConditionerMkII 3.3V? if not any specific reason....
Reason for going for MonitorPi Pro than MonitorPi. Waiting on comparison from Ian to understand better.

I got an update, DAC without DSD support will still play with DoP.

Ian products are Great!!!
I haven’t tried stack without ShieldPi pro yet. Re conditioner not sure. I have to read more about all the different power boards. I want something small.

Re monitorpi pro, the knob let’s you changed the settings directly. It’s a new product. The manual isn’t out yet. I bought it more to help me debug things and see what’s going on. It has already been useful.

I just bought the pro everything (except power). I think Ian measures everything so there is definitely improvements or new features that I wanted as I’m trying to build the ultimate streamer.

Re DoP , right!

I took a peek how USB PCI-E cards are evolving before I shut down into end-user mode to prepare for future projects. I'm motivated now with my UcPure/UcBalancer powering a USB optical cable but without external clocking on USB PCI-E it's not worth pursuing.

As you can see, of course they are using the ASM3142 USB Chipset top-middle. It's dumb not to run PCI-E ASM3142 for USB Audio or USB Gaming Audio. Then J1 is for external clocks. So if USB PCI-E cards evolve further, I might delay my redundant 5.6448 MHz project and pursue 24/25 MHz for USB. Of course UcPure/UcBalancer will power @ 3.3V the PCI-E card. These PCI-E cards are over $1,000. I was hoping for Taiko USB PCI-E for gaming, but they suspended sales. The Taiko USB PCI-E is the same PCI-E card used in their $40,000 Music Server. I'll check again if a Taiko is available in 2025.

So exciting times, but my brain has to shutdown as it's all too much, too cutting edge. Need to shut everything out. USB Clocking is not ready for prime time for another few years. Same with Motherboard Clocking. But Passive Power Supplies like the UcPure / UcBalancer can always be re-purposed for USB use.

IMG_20230814_102808.jpg.f47bc6a9fe67801d197a97049bf1d1a5.jpg

paulpangusb.jpg.945f1b3fc32b96511cf66026d4a5b156.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean? USB 2.0 High Speed is specced to run at 480 MHz ±0.05%. From a 6.144 / 12.288 / 24.576 MHz clock you can use an integer PLL to arrive at 480 MHz (6.144 * 625 / 8). Often a USB board will have a 12.0 MHz oscillator (not 12.288 MHz) for USB 2.0 Full Speed and then use a PLL to do x40 for High Speed. Many variations are possible, but I guess a PLL is not what you're looking for, so that's why I'm genuinely interested what you mean.

Then there's the whole matter of isochronous transfer mode which has a FIFO on the "receiving" device but I don't want to stir that pot any further -- whoever wants to insert USB Reclocker is more than free to do so, more than enough threads on that already.

@fusion360guy

Are inbuild clocks good and sufficient? any signature they represent....
If you have already made a plan for the DAC build, could you please share the Ian components list you have selected. I started with Streamer build and I am also interested to build a DAC as my next project. so will he helpful. Thanks,
From what I have read the new clocks have an ultra low noise floor. Like 14 stories underground. Ie -140db. Which means more signal. There are posts with measurements comparing them to other clocks.

The basics - isolation, low noise, clean power are what gets the good sound. And good engineering.

For my DAC will be Ian’s purepi, receiver pi pro, fifopiq7 with new clocks, dual mono DAC board and the I/IV analogue xlr out board. I’m not sure if this works without a pi or not. That I have to figure out. Ideally I don’t need the pi in this stack.