Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
There are some guidelines how to solder properly on the internet. Especially if you are soldering these caps onto a surface that will also absorb a lot of heat it all comes down to technique, equipment, set up and the right solder.
Lead free solder is more difficult to use.
Set up: if both caps and circuit board are firly hold into the right position you can add a bit more pressure onto the solder tip which will give a much better heat transfer. You also should not forget that heating up things cannot go own forever.

It seems Ian did shift his attention to the more commercial side of his hobby.
Greetings, eduard.

Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Split bobbin transformer, sbyv27 diodes, input choke, cap ( plus bleeder for minimum current) , resistor and final cap to supply a Tent 5 volt shunt for the 5 volt needed by Q7
Greetings,Eduard
20230807_205959.jpg

Hello,
Ian has left the building.
Greetings, eduard

Ian mentioned a few years back that this is the best time of the year weather-wise in Canada, so I hope he's re-charging and balancing.

I'm sure GB2023 will be a good workout for him, so unwinding and pacing oneself is needed to stay on top of your game. Plus, with SC-Pure release, the quality control and battle-testing must put a strain as it differs from his previous product line. Another Plus, I believe he has a full-time job on top of DIY.

Fortunately, Ian lives in the only city in Canada:

Taylor Swift confirms Toronto is Canada’s Only City

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
VERY probably there are people who decided to not buy the right soldering equipment because they will only need to make a few soldering joints. Unfortunately you only need a single bad joint to get into trouble. There are some joints out there that could work so so for some time and then suddenly problems will appear when the chassis is well tucked away.
That is why Ian wrote a manual.

With the power of hindsight, I'm guilty of this when I first started this hobby. For hobbyists, this is a natural learning curve.

The lessons learned helped prepared me to tighten up my chain.

My main goal for my Summer Project is mainly complete. I wasn't sure how well the UcPure 5V / UcBalancer would behave with my third-party Audio products as I need the UcPure 5V to act like a high-end Off-Mains USB charger for Industrial Use 365/24/7. I was really concerned that when the UcPure recharges the UltraCaps in Pure Mode, that it would hiccup with my third-party gear. It doesn't, it behaves like a well-tested industrial grade gear. My Audio devices would reset if the UcPure hiccuped, but for the last 48 hours it is just solid.

My Audio devices need 24 hours to go into a "Desktop Mode", so batteries would never work out because once you recharge batteries my Audio device would reset as my Audio device needs 24 straight hours of no power interruptions. And I hate Mains, so a standard wall outlet was never a long term plan. So the UcPure / UcBalancer was the perfect solution for my very niche use case to be Off-Mains and zero interruptions 365/24/7. Any reset in the chain and it kicks me out of "Desktop Mode", so another 24 straight hours needed to get back into "Desktop Mode". Fortunately, the UcPure/UcBalancer works perfectly and I hope to get years or maybe a decade since they are UltraCaps to be in a forever state of "Desktop Mode".

As a bonus, I did hope to get the StationPi MKI working but I did the soldering job a few years back. I cannot remembered what I did, so I gave up and I will end up just ordering a new StationPi SMT Finished. There's too much variance because you need to make sure 80 GPIO pins are soldered correctly so it makes sense to just give up and order a Finished board. I'll optimise the GPIO pins later down the road.

I noticed the ReceiverPi Pro option when researching StationPi SMT versus StationPi Pro. I'm thinking of making the ReceiverPi Pro a GB2025 Project.

For my GB2025 Project, I'll be ready to move on from my LiFePO4 16.5V and upgrade to UcPure 15.5V. I plan to use the LiFePO4 16.5V to power a Intel Motherboard with a PCI-E slot:

bat.jpg

+

board.jpg

So I'm thinking instead of feeding the ReceiverPi Pro a Toslink feed, I'm considering a LVDS feed via PCI-E so I have more horsepower @ the source level. The Q7/AndreaCLK will be more like a conduit when RPi out of the equation:

i2s-bridge.jpg

So please post if anyone successfully feeds LVDS into a ReceiverPi Pro. I'll check back in a few years.

I do hope Ian releases PCI-E cards with scalable CLK inputs, but that's another rabbit hole. Imagine inputting an SOTA CLK into USB.

I hate USB Audio, but in 2025 it will be a fun project as I really want Intel/AMD CPU power along with Apacer RAM (Audiophile RAM) running on Off-Mains power supply.

I'm currently using USB PCI-E cards with a good USB chipset to feed my FPGA DAC via USB optical. The UcBalancer will power my USB optical cable @5V later this month. But this is purely for Gaming-Only and Youtube Music Videos, No-Music. I would never use USB Audio for serious Music listening. This may change if I can get a Andrea Mori Clock clocking the USB.

But this is a backup plan.

Last edited:
Since this site migrated to the XenForo Web Platform, you can narrow down your search:

For example, "reclockpi"​
filtered to this thread only (Select dropdown box "This thread") while in this "Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter" thread​
filtered by iancanada posts (Type "iancanada" until it auto-completes):​

search.jpg

Results:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...thread]=192465&c[users]=iancanada&o=relevance

Last edited:
If you do a Advanced Search:

This whole site (Search Everything),
this year only (Newer Than Jan, 1 2023),​
order by date (Order by: Date)​

whole.png

Results:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...er_than]=2023-01-01&c[users]=iancanada&o=date

Specific Parent Threads (Search threads)
Select Digital Line Level (Parent Thread to this thread),​
this year only (Newer Than Jan, 1 2023),​
order by date (Order by: Date)​

DLL.png

Results:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-01&c[nodes][0]=129&c[users]=iancanada&o=date

Ian mentioned a few years back that this is the best time of the year weather-wise in Canada, so I hope he's re-charging and balancing.

I'm sure GB2023 will be a good workout for him, so unwinding and pacing oneself is needed to stay on top of your game. Plus, with SC-Pure release, the quality control and battle-testing must put a strain as it differs from his previous product line. Another Plus, I believe he has a full-time job on top of DIY.

Fortunately, Ian lives in the only city in Canada:

Taylor Swift confirms Toronto is Canada’s Only City
I also think people expect too much. We need to remember this is a side line as Ian has a full time job as well (I believe this is true). I would like to ask members that if you are asking Ian questions and he is not replying it will be due to a few reasons I feel.

1. The answer is in the manual
2. its not a topic he wants to address e.g. How do I use part "XYZ" in my circuit
3. What is the current needs? He will assume you can measure this yourself ;)
4. Just too busy.....

.....kind consideration is needed by all and I feel he delivers amazing service, he is a great person and contributor to this community. Look at the wonder modules he gives us which are mostly "plug & play", the wonderful HiFi sounds and enjoyment we all get from this - THANK YOU @iancanada ! :) :cheers:🤝👋

Reactions: 5 users
I've been enjoying a early 2000s Television show based in Toronto from our Canadian masters called "The Border" here:

https://watch.plex.tv/live-tv/channel/ion-streaming

It shows up a few times a week for about six consecutive hours. If the timing is right, I'll try to remind you to try to catch it.

The television show is based on Canadian Immigration and Customs, so if my Ian package is stuck in Canadian Customs, I know where to go.

@eduard ,

"The Border" is on live for the next 3 hours if you want to pay homage to your Canadian Overlords.

It's one the few Canadian soft power cultural exports, but you may be GeoBlocked in your Country so USA/Canada VPN may be needed.

https://watch.plex.tv/live-tv/channel/ion-streaming

boder.png

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I rarely watch tv anymore. Just English detectives and Canadian the Cardinal is a nice one too.
It is up to each individual if they wanna invest a few hundred $/€ to see if they can make it work and spend a similar amount one year later because all the stuff has been updated.
If you cannot make it work there is a lot of gear available on swap meet.
Or just get yourself a Grimm mu2. I will seriously consider that one.
Greetings Eduard

Today I built all the eaton supercapacitors and modules in a case.
Everything works perfect I also listened to the usbridge signature with the eaton supercapacitors this is also a good combination much beter than the shanti power supply.
But with the ian modules I make a step forward this is a beautiful sound nobody will regret how this sounds, so open and transparant.

Everybody thanks for the helpful feedback.

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• 20230808_164413.jpg
    20230808_164413.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 20230808_164434.jpg
    20230808_164434.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 20230808_164446.jpg
    20230808_164446.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: 4 users
I also think people expect too much. We need to remember this is a side line as Ian has a full time job as well (I believe this is true). I would like to ask members that if you are asking Ian questions and he is not replying it will be due to a few reasons I feel.

1. The answer is in the manual
2. its not a topic he wants to address e.g. How do I use part "XYZ" in my circuit
3. What is the current needs? He will assume you can measure this yourself ;)
4. Just too busy.....

.....kind consideration is needed by all and I feel he delivers amazing service, he is a great person and contributor to this community. Look at the wonder modules he gives us which are mostly "plug & play", the wonderful HiFi sounds and enjoyment we all get from this - THANK YOU @iancanada ! :) :cheers:🤝👋
Unless Ian has changed jobs, he works for a medical equipment company, doing R&D for ventilators. It's no wonder his products exude a high level of commercial grade and professional quality. So, as @SimonJ mentioned, yes, this is his part time job. :) BTW, he also finds time to fly his DJI Mavic 2 Pro too! Personally, I don't know how he does it all. But I'm glad he does. He contributes so much to the DIYAudio community in general, and specifically, in the RPi HaTs, and all his other DAC related products. And, I think I can speak for most of us here, we enjoying building and designing our own DAC and streamers using his products.

Reactions: 5 users
Greetings fellow Ian hardware fans!

Is there any advantage from a sound quality standpoint, to using Roon and Ropiee endpoint on RPi 3b vs. using Volumio on RPi 3b, as I am now? I have FifoPi Q7 on the RPi 3b connecting via I2S with 4" sm cables going to my DAC, which is Doede's DDDAC. The music files are on a Synology NAS connected to the RPi with ethernet, not wifi.
Wondering if anyone here with experience with Roon can comment... Or, is there a better area to pose the question?

Finally set up a PuriPi + RP 4 B 4GB + FifoPi Q7 + HDMIPro combo. Currently burning it in. As I rack in the hours I start to hear what the fuss is all about. My tracks are giving a more pleasant analog impression as the components settle.

Wanting to explore further, here are some silly questions:

Is there a way to upgrade/install the driver within Ropieee for a better sound? If so, how? The build in Audiophonics I Sabre and the Raspberry Pi DAC (I2S) drivers within Ropieee sound different enough that I have still yet to decide which driver to use long term.

Is there a compiled list of compatible plug and play clocks listed for FifoPi Q7 somewhere in this thread?

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_6106.jpg
    IMG_6106.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 90
As long as Ian is not aware that modding drones with RPi and commercial Canon cameras is a thing, we don't have to worry about that taking some of his DIY time.

drone.png

My Solid Core 22G USB cable. I needed 3 Mouser orders of QTY 8 USB connectors to get it just right. I was fortunate to construct two 22G USB cables. So 0/8 @ 20G, 0/8 @ 20G, then switched to 22G 2/8. It was a frustrating, yet rewarding experience. I wish I invested in a magnifying glass soldering setup when I first started this hobby as it's too late in the game to consider now.

Once I get in more USB connectors, I might revisit 20G again for future upgrade possibilities. Or I might upgrade to 23G Silver Solid Core as only 23G and 18G Silver available in that range. For Cooper, the whole range is available.

So, Mission Accomplished on UcPure/UcBalancer 3.3V & 5V, on Summer Project. I'll try to drop back in when the SC-Pure impressions hit a critical mass. I'm planning on a backup secondary Andrea Mori clock for redundancy in 2025 as it is something I can't live without @ 5.6448 MHz. But things change over time, so maybe the newclassd or Sc-Pure may make better sense in 2025...

monoprice.jpg

ultra.jpg

Last edited: