Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2017, 08:47 AM   #4551
malcox11 is offline malcox11
diyAudio Member

I need some advices, I am trying to build a streamer based on raspy with Ian boards
Pc (server jriver using dlna output) – raspy (moode audio ) i2s out – isolator pi – mcfifo – i2s over hdmi - i2s dac .
But now I want to add a dsp crossover for a 3 way loudspeaker.
I have red some posts where Ian suggest to put a dsp board before the mcfifo.
But I didn’t know witch kind of dsp boards: MInidigi ? others ?
And how can add the others channel using raspy ? there is multichannel software?
My goal will be to build a streamer with dsp capabilities using the mcfifo board nut I need your help
Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 11:28 AM   #4552
Dimdim is online now Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

I'm not an expert on DSPs so I can't really comment on that, but I need to point out that you're kindda negating the McFIFO by placing a couple of I2S over HDMI boards & some cable between it and your DAC board.

The idea with the FIFO is to place it within a few centimeters of your dac chips.
Old 27th December 2017, 12:45 PM   #4553
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

For a three way speaker you would need to have 6 channels coming out of the DSP. So you need 6 channels of DAC downstream of mcFifo. The Raspberry Pi can provide 2 channels via i2s which should feed the isolator Pi than a minidsp minisharc with 2 channels. The minisharc can provide up to 8 channels. Feed the 6 to 8 channels into a mcFifo + clock board and then connect to a multichannel DAC or multiple stereo DACs. Preferably you would do this in one enclosure. Not too familiar with the i2s over HDMI with regards to capability, but I think it could be a weak link.
Old 28th December 2017, 02:37 AM   #4554
PloppyThirds is offline PloppyThirds
diyAudio Member

Is there a benefit over using a standard asrc clocked to the same frequency with a high accuracy source? If jitter is bad enough to cause a "sample hop" aren't there serious issues with source clocking?
Old 28th December 2017, 07:41 AM   #4555
nounouchet is offline nounouchet  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Was changing the power supplies the solution? I got the exact same problem with or without the silentswitcher.
Hi Wealas,

I kept the silentswitchers but reviewed the wiring: shorter and better twisted.
But sometimes the problem comes back.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:14 PM   #4556
Jjazz is offline Jjazz  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi. I have a problem with spdifboard.

When I use the spdif output it does not play music at 44khz, it only plays music at higher resolutions. All fifo and dualxo lights say that everything works fine. The light that is active on the 44khz clock is turned on. This problem happens in both output 1 and 2 of dualxo.

No problem with the spdif entry. Plays 44khz music without problems. There is also no problem on dualxo playing without spdifboard.

Someone comes up with what the problem is and how can I fix it?

Thank you very much
Old 1st January 2018, 07:46 PM   #4557
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjazz View Post
Hi. I have a problem with spdifboard.

When I use the spdif output it does not play music at 44khz, it only plays music at higher resolutions. All fifo and dualxo lights say that everything works fine. The light that is active on the 44khz clock is turned on. This problem happens in both output 1 and 2 of dualxo.

No problem with the spdif entry. Plays 44khz music without problems. There is also no problem on dualxo playing without spdifboard.

Someone comes up with what the problem is and how can I fix it?

Thank you very much
Hi Jiazz,

How about the spdif output when you play from spdif input at 44.1KHz?

What XO frequencies did you use on your Dual XO board?

Happy New Year!
Ian
Old 1st January 2018, 10:10 PM   #4558
Jjazz is offline Jjazz  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Hi Jiazz,

How about the spdif output when you play from spdif input at 44.1KHz?

What XO frequencies did you use on your Dual XO board?

Happy New Year!
Ian
Hi Ian, happy new year!

The i2s output device connected to the fifo is raspberry pi, I can not connect input and output spdif at the same time. The spdif output of spdifboard is connected to the Ifi Idsd micro. in this case the music does not play in ifi idsd music at 44.1mhz of rapsberry pi. There is no problem with music at higher frequencies. Neither a problem with spdifboard input, the music that comes out by spdif from ifi idsd is played.

The crystals is the two that can be ordered as an option with dualxo and the frequency is 45.1584mhz and 49.1520mhz.

Best regards.
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:24 AM   #4559
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjazz View Post
Hi Ian, happy new year!

The i2s output device connected to the fifo is raspberry pi, I can not connect input and output spdif at the same time. The spdif output of spdifboard is connected to the Ifi Idsd micro. in this case the music does not play in ifi idsd music at 44.1mhz of rapsberry pi. There is no problem with music at higher frequencies. Neither a problem with spdifboard input, the music that comes out by spdif from ifi idsd is played.

The crystals is the two that can be ordered as an option with dualxo and the frequency is 45.1584mhz and 49.1520mhz.

Best regards.
Hi Jjazz,

I think the problem is the XO frequencies. The maximal mclk frequency that DIX9211 can support is 512*Fs (see P2 of "S/PDIF Interface Board user guide"). So, you need to use XO of 22.5792/24.5760MHz to cover 44.1KHz- 192KHz spdif output. That's the requirement of DIF chip.

Regards,
Ian
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:00 PM   #4560
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Is there any way to use 5v XOs with McDualXO? Would it just be a matter of replacing the XO power supply and using 6v input to the board?

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitterHide this!Advertise here!