Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I don't understand why Ian does not give a clear warning that parts like lifepo4 and ultracaps should be bought at reliable sources.
Especially if we get the advice to keep them charged all the time .
Just visit you tube and look for Chinese usb chargers. It is true they also make the perfect ones.
Companies like Ikea will invest time and money so they can offer you a decent one for a competitive price.
Maybe as an individual you can find one that is ten procent cheaper and even get free shipping. It could work for a decade or even two or it could burn down your house the first week you are not there.
Greetings Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
Greetings fellow Ian hardware fans!

Is there any advantage from a sound quality standpoint, to using Roon and Ropiee endpoint on RPi 3b vs. using Volumio on RPi 3b, as I am now? I have FifoPi Q7 on the RPi 3b connecting via I2S with 4" sm cables going to my DAC, which is Doede's DDDAC. The music files are on a Synology NAS connected to the RPi with ethernet, not wifi.

Hello,
I don't understand why Ian does not give a clear warning that parts like lifepo4 and ultracaps should be bought at reliable sources.
Especially if we get the advice to keep them charged all the time .
Just visit you tube and look for Chinese usb chargers. It is true they also make the perfect ones.
Companies like Ikea will invest time and money so they can offer you a decent one for a competitive price.
Maybe as an individual you can find one that is ten procent cheaper and even get free shipping. It could work for a decade or even two or it could burn down your house the first week you are not there.
Greetings Eduard

I agree mostly about the minefield of low quality goods and more awareness of safety standards, but Ian can only control only what he could control. Not his job. He's not Jesus, our Nanny or our Parent. I believe he recommends exclusively Eaton now and warns about UltraCaps on eBay in one post, but that's all he should have to do. In the past, eBay was the only option. Now that supply is stable with Eatons, it's a easy recommend. Education and learning lessons the hard way is left to the individual.

It can just be another surprise Pikachu moment for some like buying random batteries from a random seller on Amazon.

Battery explodes. Surprise Pikachu face.

pikachu.jpg

That's why I recommend just buying high quality trusted from the start. Spend $30 on Amazon, lose $30, it's a $30 learning lesson the hard way. That $30 can cover most of the cost for high quality that will run a similar $30-$40.

I noticed this review on the second link of my previous post:

review.png

After looking at the PurePi manual, I do wish Ian set a reference standard on the 18650. 26650 reference standard is pretty much A123/Lithiumwerks brand. For those whom don't know, Lithiumwerks was re-branded as they were formally known as A123.

A123.png

Last edited:
So I was surprised not to see Lithiumwerks/A123 18650, just a generic 3.2V LiFePO4 18650, in the PurePi Manual.

purepi.png

The Lithiumwerks 18650 should work the same. There's 3.3V all throughout the PurePi Manual, so I'm not sure if the Lithiumwerks 18650 was used in the original prototype. Only mentions of 3.2V are directly concerning the battery.

3.3V isolated pure LifePO4 battery power supply with battery holders pre-installed for two 18650 battery
cells. ESR less than 6 mOhm. The ultra low output noise would be only decided by the battery cells.

I believe the Lithiumwerks is 12 mOhm, but I don't think that's a big deal or dealbreaker. There may even be a math formula that needs to be applied like divide by 2 batteries when 18650 used in a Series. So 12 mOhm / 2 = 6 mOhm? Again, I think it's completely irrelevant and I wouldn't trust generic 18650 impedance specs / data as an alternative option.

specs.png

For example, I used this LiFePO4 BMS with my Ian Stack:

lifepo4-both-nopi-top_jpg_md-xl.jpg

lifepo4-edit-10-both_jpg_md-xl.jpg

The BMS included generic 3.2V 18650 and I immediately replaced with Lithiumwerks 18650 3.3V for quality purposes. Never had a issue. Seamless.

So with the state of generic low quality 18650 options and past seamless synergy of Ian's power supplies with the Lithiumwerks / A123 brand, I don't think you will have any issues with the Lithiumwerks 18650.

Those random sellers on Amazon, if they can't get bad reviews erased, eventually they just open a new seller account and start fresh once too many bad reviews overwhelm their previous seller account. I believe the Amazon owner made 24 billion during the pandemic. Last week, Amazon workers were fighting hard for better healthcare and were turned down.

@iancanada ,

I recommend looking at the Github code for my LiFePO4 BMS, the software works pretty well. I have not have time with your new power supplies yet, so I don't know how well they shutdown via Software, etc. It works on Archlinux realtime low latency kernels too with the right libraries so compat with various Linux variants.

https://github.com/xorbit/LiFePO4wered-Pi

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
So just be careful.
Just recently i saw a high voltage transformer offered for a tube amp on ebay that according to the label on the transformer itself had a duty cycle of 5 minutes on and then 10 minutes off before using again!!!
Or power supply parts designed to be used at 400 or 800 hertz/cycles.
If you burn down your own house and on top of that damaging neighbouring properties as well with hopefully not injuring anyone you will regret trying to save a few $/Euros .

It's plain aluminium box audio-gd style without any monitor.
Toroidy.pl- supreme audio transformer

Hi.

Thanks for posting this - it's quite inspirational.

Can I please ask where you sourced the aluminium enclosure? I'll be partnering. my project with my Audio-GD NOS-11.

Also, what rating/outputs did you land on with the transformer.

Thanks advance for input.

Hello,
So just be careful.
Just recently i saw a high voltage transformer offered for a tube amp on ebay that according to the label on the transformer itself had a duty cycle of 5 minutes on and then 10 minutes off before using again!!!
Or power supply parts designed to be used at 400 or 800 hertz/cycles.
If you burn down your own house and on top of that damaging neighbouring properties as well with hopefully not injuring anyone you will regret trying to save a few $/Euros .

I'm so glad I will never have to deal with transformers to power Ian power supplies. There are so many available consumer RFI/EMI filtered power splitter outlets to scale over time to pair with a Medical Grade Mean Well DC 12V & 19V Adaptor. You can even battery-power off-grid the outlets if needed. I recently noticed a post about AC transformers being so inconsistent in performance and I hate variance. I never have to worry about my battle-tested DC being inconsistent to power my Ian gear so I have very good piece / peace of mind in my chain Industrial Strength 24/7. No hiccups like AC transfomers. So for safety, quality and performance reasons, I'm glad to have the option to never have to deal with transformers or burning down the house.

Here are some safety certifications for my Medical Grade Mean Well. If hospitals can trust, I can trust. I would never trust the transformer route:
cert.png

Speaking of High Quality Trust options along with piece / peace of mind, I find the option of the UcBalancer so underrated.

Having PTSD flashbacks of only being able to only buy random balancing boards from random Amazon sellers is a nightmare, that makes me appreciate the UcBalancer that much more. The wait was so worth. I tried pre-ordering Eaton balancing boards at the same cost as the UcBalancer and that was another nightmare.

That's why I hope to see more chains pair the UcBalancer with the UcPure for 3.3V, 5V, 12V and 15.5V solutions. If they are just running UcPure alone or still running random balancing boards, I have to question why. For safety reasons alone, it's totally worth. Just think of it like an insurance policy, put in that extra $20 towards a UcBalancer instead of a random balancing board off a random site. Putting in that $20 insurance policy can save a lot of headaches down the road or go the save a few $/Euros route and roll the dice.

So High Quality Lithiumwerks / A123 18650 and 26650 for batteries.

High Quality Eaton for Ultra Capacitors.

High Quality Medical Grade Mean Well Power Adaptors to power Ian gear.

High Quality UcBalancer boards to pair with High Quality UcPure to balance Eaton Ultracapacitors.

works for my use cases...

Last edited:
i wonder why this is.
as soon as I switch on the streamer (after half an hour of no voltage) the overvoltage led on D6 of cap L of the UcConditioner MkII 3.3V lights up.
this is no more than a quarter of an hour, then it slowly goes out.

should I be concerned? because this doesn't seem quite right.

the IAN CANADA PUREPI Ultracapacitor / Batteries Dual Power Supply Module for Raspberry Pi 5V / 3.3V is in front of it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Overvoltage is overvoltage AND if i am correct ucconditioner and purepi both will have identical voltages because they just " copy " the voltage offered at their input.
But one feature of ucconditioner is balancing the caps so if voltage is to high it should be to high at both caps because both caps should have identical voltages.
Greetings,Eduard

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-08-03 om 00.35.01.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-08-03 om 00.35.01.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I think your charging voltage is to low.
I had the same for my 5 volt ucpure MkIII.
I charged with 6 volt and only 1 eaton supercapacitor measure 3 volt.
Later I use the 12 volt toroid and this works before I make the supercapacitor empty.
Now I use the 6 volt toroid for the 3.2 volt and this works because they are spare parts lying around.

Rudy

I think your charging voltage is to low.
I had the same for my 5 volt ucpure MkIII.
I charged with 6 volt and only 1 eaton supercapacitor measure 3 volt.
Later I use the 12 volt toroid and this works before I make the supercapacitor empty.
Now I use the 6 volt toroid for the 3.2 volt and this works because they are spare parts lying around.

Rudy
Measured this morning at startup. input PurePi 5.07 volts, input UC 3.27, output UC 3.27. in that respect everything is okay. I will see for a while whether that capacitor in question stops or cheerfully continues.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Each cap has its own overvoltage indicator. If the balancing circuit would function properly both caps should have an identical voltage
If i remember correctly it is written in the manual best to start with both caps fully drained before starting the first charging process
Of course if your caps are Chinese knock offs it could be a reason for things not working properly.
I remember at work once in a month we had to use a special charging procedure for our BIG batteries mounted in series to give each one an equal charge/ voltage.
I would not switch it on until you found the culprit.
Greetings Eduard

Hello,
Each cap has its own overvoltage indicator. If the balancing circuit would function properly both caps should have an identical voltage
If i remember correctly it is written in the manual best to start with both caps fully drained before starting the first charging process
Of course if your caps are Chinese knock offs it could be a reason for things not working properly.
I remember at work once in a month we had to use a special charging procedure for our BIG batteries mounted in series to give each one an equal charge/ voltage.
I would not switch it on until you found the culprit.
Greetings Eduard
there is nothing else in the manual about both caps fully drained before starting the first charging process.
i just did this one (screenshot)
how can i best get the caps fully drained, then i do the process again.
by the way the UC does go into conditioning state and all leds for that are on.

I have these caps by the way.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/cond.../maxwell-supercapacitor-27v-325f-p-14602.html

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-08-03 om 17.22.13.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-08-03 om 17.22.13.png
    21 KB · Views: 35