Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Arrrgh, this hobby. Just when I was putting the finishing touches on my transportable, the Solder Pad on my 1S LiFePO4 BMS came loose from the PCB when I inadvertently bent the wiring while disassembling the HATs.

So I'm officially giving up on pursuing the SC-PURE route since my transportable project is dead in the water.

Back to the drawing board...

Hallo,

My flagship prototype is roon ready this works I use moode audio 8.3.3 with roon bridge on the Raspberry Pi 4b.

One off the most important thing is NO sound 😞
Wat I think the problem is, I use an old oelbach k8 mk2 hdmi 1.3a cable because I have no other option yet.
I already order a new 2.1 hdmi cable.

Second my display don't work it don't switch on.
I read so much that I don't see anymore where is the culprit where I did something stupid.

I did also different options for i2s inputs my Denafrips Terminator plus dac.

Can someone help me where I did something wrong?

Regards,
Rudy
Hi,

I tried moode audio as well and it didn’t work as a roon bridge. Im now using ropieee and haven’t had any issues since.

Hope this helps

Hi tubo,

I was busy almost 1 day to make a shh connection with the new moode audio because they change the shh inlog and password to: pi / raspberry. (Before pi / moodeaudio)
I need this tool for a script to make it roon ready for moode audio.

I have another question,

On the fifopi q7 board there is the 5volt connection is this also a clean power connection for the fifopi q7 ?? (if the answer is yes then read further)
Now I don't use this j3 connection on the fifopi q7 because I use the 2 jumpers on j9 stationPi pro mk2.

Is it possible to connect a clean 5volt power supply to j3 on fifopi q7 and REMOVE the 2 jumpers from the Stationpi Pro mk2?

After that, connect also a separate 5volt power supply to the raspberry.
Then there are 3 possibilities 2 connections on the StationPI Pro mk2 j3 and j13 (usb-c) or the raspberry also usb-c.

Please let me know if this is possible and more important is, is this useful to do to make beter sound.

Regards,
Rudy

Hey @SimonJ,
are you using the StationPi (Pro)? You said you are powering the RPI with a separate 5V supply, and the "Ian stack of PCBs with another didecated PSU". In the manual(s) I couldn't find out if the 5V supply for the SationPi (Pro) is only for the RPI, or for other modules (better question: For which modules are the 5V supply from the StationPi (Pro))? I asked this already but never receives a answer. It would it make clear which quality of power supply I will use, when I know for which tasks the 5V are used for.

Regarding toroidal transformers and/or inrush current:
Smaller toroids don't have a problematic inrush current. You only have to take care of this phenomenon if you are using several hundred watt types. And then the inrush current happens in the primary side, not the secondary (to your electronics...).
Some power supplies have a peak voltage when you switch them on, mostly ones with a feedback. So, if you power supply is made for digital electronics, then it shouldn't have this output inrush voltage peak.

For devices like a RPI (or anything else) Salas' L-Regulator is like a swiss knife: Easy to use, with good noise repression (-70dB) and well tested, and -- it works! Of cause usable for many other applications, too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @Murdoc I use the StaionPi SMT but the PSU concept is the same. In the manual it states.....

1690294718437.png

..... so the opposite of this is to remove the J9 jumpers and then connect 1 x 5v to J3 which powers the Pi and another 5v PSU to J5 which powers the Ian stack. This delivers all the 5v power to all the right boards. I then apply the 3.3v PSU directly where needed to Ians PCBs.

Does this make sense?

@Simon,

Last question.
Then there are 3 possibilities 2 connections on the StationPI Pro mk2 j3 and j13 (usb-c) or the raspberry also usb-c.

This doesn't matter witch connection I use they all isolated from the fifopi q7 board if we remove the 2 j9 jumpers.
I ask this because I will use the usb-c cable from my allo shanti power supply to the raspberry.

Regards,
Rudy

@SimonJ
Thank you Simon for your explanation!

@All (Hopefully this doesn't send a notification to all human beings on this planet! :whistle:)

Now the only thing that's missing is which modules need 5V. I have looked in the documentation, but not to great success. When I remember correctly, in the manual for a IV it states that 5V are needed, but as I'm going to build a streamer without DAC, which modules consume 5V?

Again, don't rely on I. Hopefully, you can get official confirmation on 5V/3.3V modules. I can't even remember how to implement an IR remote, but luckily I found the IR scripts so it should be fine. But if I had to do any DIY in 2023, I'm completely lost. I'm just glad Ian uses the same Apple IR remote in his latest products, so the MonitorPi Pro (IR) should fit in seamlessly one day if needed:

remote.jpg

From my observation, if a Q7+ is your foundation, 5V is mandatory. In the past, with a Q3, you can get away with 3.3V on the whole Audio side stack.

FifoPi Q7 has much powerful FIFO engine, so it’s need 5V power supply for J3. FifoPi Q7 will not work if you feed 3.3V
to J3

So since Q7 is more powerful than previous Qx, it needs 5V. Since Q7 is a foundation piece, your going to need 5V at the bottom of the Ian stack. The other modules can get away with just 3.3V. You just need to decide if you want it to happen organically via GPIO or direct independently 3.3V via UcPure 3.3V, etc.

So for your Group Buy "SC-Pure 22/44*1, SC-Pure 45/49*1, FifoPiQ7*1, HdmiPi Pro*1, TransportPi AES*1, StationPi Pro*1,".

StationPi Pro 5V RPi side and 5V Audio side. Internally, since the RPi is fed 5V, it will supply 3.3V upstream via GPIO to the HDMIPro and TransportPi AES. The SC-Pure will be fed 3.3V via direct independent 3.3V clean side on the Q7 (UcPure 3.3V, etc.). No 5V needed for Q7 direct if you are feeding 5V on the Audio side of the StationPi Pro.

If you feed HDMIPro and/or TransportPi AES direct independently with 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.), it will not light up and receive power since 3.3V power will be blocked from GPIO. It will light up and power on though once you direct independently power with 3.3V if you go that route.

BTW, SC-Pure on your Group Buy should be 22/24 not 22/44? I can't remember the freqs.

SC-Pure 22/44*1 (Clean 3.3V power from Q7 Clean Side direct independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.)), SC-Pure 45/49*1 (Clean 3.3V power from Q7 Clean Side direct independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.)), FifoPiQ7*1 (Clean 5V power from independent 5V via StationPi Pro Audio Side), HdmiPi Pro*1 (Clean 3.3V power from Q7 Clean Side 3.3V (GPIO via independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.)) or Clean 3.3V power from direct independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.)), TransportPi AES*1 (Clean 3.3V power from Q7 Clean Side 3.3V (GPIO via independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.)) or Clean 3.3V power from direct independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.)), StationPi Pro*1 (5V power from direct independent 5V for RPi side and Audio Side),

Again, independent not literal so independent can also mean shared independent.

Last edited:
HdmiPi Pro*1 (Clean 3.3V power from Q7 Clean Side 3.3V (GPIO via independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.)) or Clean 3.3V power from direct independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.)), TransportPi AES*1 (Clean 3.3V power from Q7 Clean Side 3.3V (GPIO via independent 3.3V (UcPure 3.3V, etc.))

I could be wrong here and these modules get 3.3V internally from RPi 5V via GPIO. I just kind of remember the modules above the Q7 power up when I switched on the UcPure 3.3V via Clean Side Q7. I'll try to keep an eye on this next time I get back working on the StationPi.

Since the wheels started spinning after the above post and now that I'm comfortable, safety-wise, to put the UcPure 5V on top of the desk, why not use the UcPure 5V for the StationPi Audio Side? My intention was to use two outputs (Pure and Super Pure Mode) for third-party non-Ian devices which takes priority over Ian devices for this Ultra Cap use case.

Since I'm more familiar with the UcBalancer side of things, I have an open Super Pure Mode slot for the Audio Side 5V of the StationPi.

So I guess I'm going to end up not sharing 5V and have two independent 5V for the StationPi after all.

The RPi side will be powered by LiFePO4 6.6V Mini -> Linear Pi 5V -> UcConditioner 5V. It runs in Pure Mode (Off Mains) for at least four hours with an overclocked no-fan RPi. I'll try to test more with a fan which reduces temp by 40%. I might also experiment with under-voltage on the RPi software-side to see if that is more friendly with the UcPure 5V. There's a possible chance the RPi will not drop below the threshold (2.95V?) voltage, but I highly doubt this would work as the under-voltage settings are quite rigid.

I have no idea how all you all can listen to the RPi on Mains power. It's Pure Mode or Pure Battery or nothing at all. It's Surprised Pikachu face when you experience noise on the RPi with noisy mains then whine about noise. No amount of DIY experience will get you 100% off noisy mains without some sort of Pure Mode. Not even a dedicated Independent Mains setup exclusively for your home that you don't have to share with the neighbors. Plus, with a StationPi in the chain, noise if any should be theoritically reduced. I think the RPi noise complaints never touched a StationPi. So the best 5V power supplies in the world are 1. UcPure 5V 2. LiFePO4 6.6V Mini -> Linear Pi 5V -> UcConditioner 5V. Nothing else matters. It's just unfortunate at this stage that the UcPure 5V is not ready to support the RPi yet. Hopefully there are workarounds (undervoltage or CM4 w/ Lite Tray (RPi4 form factor)).

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg

The Audio side will be powered by UcBalancer Super Pure Mode 5V via UcPure 5V. So I'm still technically sharing, just not on the same 5V device as previously planned.

Happy to be going forward with Tin solder tails and Gold Pins on top for all my GPIO needs. Acutally, Gold all around on the GPIO extentions. Tin only needed when soldering is involved.

samtec.jpg

Last edited:
So on a StationPi Pro with a RaspberryPi, FifoPiQ7, HDMIPI Pro, and a TransportPi AES. Provide 5V to StationPi Pro J3 to power the Raspberry Pi. On the other side of the StationPi Pro 5V can be run to J5 on the StationPi Pro, J5 on the FifoPiQ7 or via the J3 on the StationPi Pro with the proper jumper settings set (to share power with the RaspberryPi). Provide 3.3V to J5 on the FifoPiQ7, this will also supply power to the GPIO header for boards downstream like the HDMIPI Pro and the TransportPi AES. So you can power the whole stack with a 5V and a 3.3V supply or you can add additional supplies to power the dirty side of the FifoPi, the HDMIPi Pro, and TransportPi AES separately if you so desire just make sure you have the jumper settings correct on the boards. The FifoPi has an isolator integral to the unit so power does not travel through it.