Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Yeah the dirty side of the FIFO Pi MA needs some power.
i have the same setup, i give 5 volts through the pi (or isolator) and 3.3 volts to the FIFOMA 1.5.
if you put 5 volts through the fifoMA it won't work.
and the isolator must be configured as master.

software volumio, driver hifiberry dac+ pro.

dac dion audio 1543 nos dac.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-07-16 om 00.09.35.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-07-16 om 00.09.35.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 43
@tamra no, not in combination with the FIFOMA.
raspberry pi 5 volt, FIFOMA 3,3 volt and the jumpers according to the manual.

with a side note, since I use a different dac (Balanced DAC Board 2x PCM1794A I2S 24bit 192kHz) I have to upsample otherwise no sound comes out, where the previous philips nos dac was not affected by that, probably this is a problem of the dac itself and has nothing to do with isolator and FIFOMA 1.5

so my current setup is: raspberry p4, isolator II, FIFOMA 1.5 and 2x PCM1794A dac board.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-06-17 om 22.41.44.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-06-17 om 22.41.44.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Ah, what is the best HAT selection for FifoPi w Ians dual mono Dac Hat? In trying to play DSD 256 some Hat selections will play it intermittently but most will not. It will play DSD 128 however even with DoP selected 256 will not play.
Do you have the appropriate clock installed? You need at least one that support 176.4KHz (DSD256) - at a minimum, that would be 22.5793.

@tamra well, if you put 5 volts on the pi/isolator and 5 volts on the FIFOPiMA then it will probably be broken now.
I see.I burnt it...
Now I am thinking that I might go without
Rpi.It seems too complicated to me.
Fifopi Q7 with bridge pie.
But save some money first 😩

Attachments

• PXL_20230716_105300453.jpg
    PXL_20230716_105300453.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Now close to 100 people joined the new group buy and more than 30 people ordered the Q7.
Of course not everyone is using the Q3 now and not everyone willing to sell it.
Probably there will be other parts available too because everyone wants to have the newest boards with '' big improvements ''
You could be very happy using one that was new one year ago. One year ago that one was also described as being the nest one available.
Some years ago i sat in an old Toyota crown taxi in Thailand . The owner was very proud and told me never had any problems. He was afraid to buy a new one.
Greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
You will have to check if you can use the new clocks with the '' old ''Q3
The new clocks could be expensive because if the quality is very close to the Neutron star or even the Italian clocks why sell them for a price far below number one and two?
If price would be 200$ for a pair it could be good idea to buy them if not you could buy the old ones from the group buy people because they will be available.
Greetings, Eduard
P.s It is good that the boards being replaced are being used by new owners. Probably in 2025 you can buy a Q7 the same way when Q8 is available.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many way to find a price and many theories.
My approach would be, if I was in a position that my new product is the best or very comparable AND I could source/produce it very cheap, I would calculate a generous win, so that even my sourcing would be more expensive I had enough, and sell it to a then much cheaper price. Why always reach for the stars? Imagine if just one of the big magazines would test a diy product with a superb clock (and other superb components) and find out that it is better than a 4/6/8/10k product! There were suddenly a nice pressure on the prices, closer to normal, and it would be the best marketing campaign for DIY. Maybe the DIY scene would even gain more people or even developers. I think not a to native dream.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know Ian's further plans, but I hope that after high-end FiFO circuits and special power supplies, he will start to redevelop the DAC. I am thinking of a similar R2R DAC to the one Soekris designed and sells. It would be a real coup if he could beat his own Holo DAC.
In the FiFO product line, after Q7, new clocks and UCPure, I don't think it will be easy to make any further significant quality difference.

Reactions: 2 users