Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Good day.I have a problem with ReClockPi. Until recently, i used a bundle Raspberry PI 3b+ >> FifoPiQ3 >>TransportPi. Connecting the MCLK signal from the FifoPi to TransportPi MCLK using a u.fl coaxial cable. Music is played using RoonRock on IntelNuc,Roon+Qobuz,RopieeeXL on Raspberry PI 3b . Raspberry PI 3b+ receives an external independent power supply 5.0V LifePO4MKIII. FifoPiQ3 receives an external independent power supply 3.3V LifePO4MKIII. TransportPi receives an external independent power supply 3.3V LifePO4MKIII. Everything works fine. After installing the ReClockPi the sound disappeared. ReClockPi receives an external independent power supply 3.3V LifePO4MKIII(Remove L1 at bottom side of the ReClockPi PCB, solder a DC terminal block connector,)
Power indicator on Reclockpi D1 lit.
I tried to connect the MCLK in different ways: Connecting the MCLK signal from the FifoPi to TransportPi MCLK and connecting the MCLK/2 output from ReClockPi to TransportPi MCLK.No sound.
Has anyone faced the same problem? Or does he know what the problem might be?
Hello,
Me too i am having problem getting sound from Fifopi/ raspberry/ stationpi/ reclockpi/stationpi / Andrea's clock circuits connected to DDDAC motherboard.
All leds that need to be lit are lit.
The only thing that i can do is reconnecting the 3 u.FL cables to the DDDAC mainboard. I think about removing the original connector from the DDDAC motherboard so i can insert the u.FL cables into the board and get a better soldering contact.
I also thought about just using 6 solid cores wires from 40 pin GPIO connector and guide them '' into '' the motherboard but they say u.FL is better. But to me only if you can make a proper connecting.
I also think that the cable '' proposed '' for connecting the external clock to the Sinepi is much to rigid.
Greetings, Eduard
P.s i guess there no way to check with a simple multimeter if the output from the reclockpi is liker it should be when it enters the DDDAC board??

Only a hunch, but when sound disappears with Reclockpi it is often a problem with mclk. I ran I2StoPCI which needs mstrclck. Added Reclockpi and then nothing. removed I2StoPCI and sound returned. My theory is there can be a problem splitting MCLK too many times. Maybe check that the ufl cables to mclk are new and same length. Just guessing. Would need a scope to really diagnose it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I started with reclockpi/ stationpi and Sinepi right from the start. SO there are no extra " parts " that can cause malfunctioning.
Connecting the u.fl cable between reclockpi and fifopi is a bit tricky but i think once you are able to rotate the connector around the centre of the connector while being inserted it will be ok. The 3 u.fl cables departing from fifopi also are properly connected but on the Dddac motherboard they are soldered on the soldering side of the board. This u.fl cable is not a cable that is perfect for the average diy person.
Probably tomorrow i will move the dddac board from its original position in order to make desoldering/soldering easier in order to achieve a better connection.
Greetings,Eduard

Makes sense. I was thinking more of @retty's situation. Still, I find ufl cables fragile. After 3-4 reconnects they make poor connection affecting sound or in the case of mclk, silence. I have recovered some by gently squeezing the copper connectors back into shape to make a snug fit. Far prefer SMA connectors as you can reconnect endlessly. Good luck finding your issue.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I think somewhere in the information about these u.fl connectors there is something like that they are not designed to be connected/reconnected to many times. I bought the special tool for disconnecting but i guess most diy audio dont have it.
These connectors are not made for us.
If causing a not 100% connection is so easy then we must find another solution.
Greetings,Eduard

Agreed. I think they have limitations for diy. They should be used once or twice and then discarded. Works fine in a commercial application. My company used them for connecting RF signals from one PCB to another in compact areas. Worked fine and if you had to remove it you replace it. In DIY we pull things apart and reassemble constantly. If you replaced every time you'd go broke. As it is I find I'm always buying new ones.

Hi Ian,
When will the StationPi Pro be available for ordering?

Thx
@dutchdiyer I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but I've been waiting over a year when he announced it would be available soon. :( I had to move on with my project at the time. Ian must be busy, but I still think his DAC project boards are first rate and will continue to wait for the StationPi Pro.

Its possible covid/parts availability crisis is interfering with production also. redesigning each time you have to change a major part is frustrating at the very least. I'm just guessing, it may not be the case and i'm sure doing so much work in medical instrumentation Ian is very used to allowing for contingencies/optional placements; but it would not be unusual to be left in this situation lately; to just shelve a non-essential design until things settle down a bit.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I am just guessing .
Before he would answer very quickly here. There must be a reason for this . Maybe the '' return on investment '' is not enough , maybe he is busy with other things. Fact is, it looks like he disappeared.
Unless he returns we will not know.
Greetings, eduard

I suggest we give him a little space. In January 2022 up to 30% of all staff are off on sick leave in many Toronto businesses. Those left at the workplace are doing double duty. The peak is past but I would assume everyone in Toronto that is not retired is under a time crunch. Let's hope he is well and just jammed.

Absolutely. He wouldnt be absent for no reason and i'm sure when he's able he will update the thread. I do hope hes alright; it is unusual for him to be absent this long, but these are unusual times we are in. 100% behind giving him some space; guessing/assuming what is happening helps no-one. Sending him multiple emails from multiple members with the only question being 'when is station pi pro ready' or some other ultimately unimportant question under such circumstances will also not make it happen any quicker.

Set-up:
MacBook -> Audirvana -> Amanero USB -> BridgePi -> FiFoPi Q3 -> TransportPi -> Moon 430HAD

The MacBook sees the Amanero USB as an output device, all leds on FIFoPi and TransportPi light up correctly and the Moon 430HAD sees the output frequency of the tracks played in Audirvana. So far so good but in the end there's no sound.

Anyone familiar with this problem?