Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 325 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2014, 05:25 AM   #3241
bisesik is offline bisesik  Kazakhstan
diyAudio Member

Hi, Ian! Thank you for your explanation on my questions. I will try to connect it all together on this week. By the way. My DAT PCM7040 is based on PCM69, not on AD1865. It is strange, but even in service manual DAC chip is shown as PCM69. Do you realy have AD1865 inside your device?
Old 21st April 2014, 10:28 AM   #3242
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDD View Post
Concerning option 1 that you suggest:
From what I understand of the SM5847's datasheet, it doesn't seem to accept I2S input format. Therefore the FIFO+clock+PCM board must be inserted in-between the CS8414 and the SM5847.
To do that I would still set the CS8414 to I2S output as you've corrected, set the SM5847 to LR simultaneous, left-justified by having INF1N and INF2N high, and then connect the PCM board's DR to the SM5847's DIR and the DL to the DIL (I've attached a crudely modified schematic of the changes). Would that work?
Will not work because SM5847 LR simultaneous input format needs left-justified data while I2S-PCM output is right-justified.

You're correct that SM5847 does not accept I2S, however, I remembered that FIFO since firmware v3.80 accepts left-justified as input/output format: check out FirmwareV3.80UpgradeIanI2sFIFO.pdf in IanFIFOKITGBIV.zip

To connect FIFO to D1V2 between CS8414 and SM5847 I propose the followings:
Input/output formats:
- set CS8414 to output either I2S or left-justified format -what is handy for you- then set FIFO input for this format
- set FIFO output for left-justified format
- set SM5847 input for left-justified format (INF1N = HIGH, DI/INF2 = LOW) - datasheet fig.8
Connections between CS8414 and FIFO
- connect SDATA to SD; FSYNC to WS; SCK to CLK
Connections between Si570 Clock-board out and SM5847
- connect SD to IW1N/DIL + IW2N/DIR; WS to LRCI; CLK to BCKI; MCLK to XTI
Clock settings
- set Si570 - pg.9: clock board to Group1 frequency group (256xFS)
- set SM5847 - table 6: CKSLN = LOW (256fs), CKDV1 = LOW, CKDV2 = LOW

Double check above info before your start cutting
Zsolt

Last edited by vzs; 21st April 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 26th April 2014, 04:18 PM   #3243
JoeyDD is offline JoeyDD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, and reminding me about the firmwareV3.80 pdf that I somehow missed.

I've rechecked all the settings, and managed to connect everything in between the CS8414 and SM5847. Upon streaming music to the apple tv connected to the DAC (via toslink), I sometimes get a lot of noise with the music playing. The noise is as if I've not tuned a radio station correctly. Other times, everything plays perfectly and I couldn't find a pattern for it. If I connect the toslink to my laptop, it plays the music without any noise every time. I'm missing something, but I can't figure out what it is.

Paul
Old 27th April 2014, 01:16 PM   #3244
palmito is offline palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone not using battery management boards that wants to sell them?

Hi. I'm looking for at least two, preferrably four, battery management boards from Ian's group buys. I would prefer the latest version of the board, but any would do. Either pcb's or assembled boards would be ok. Thanks.
Old 27th April 2014, 02:45 PM   #3245
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Can some one help me out here?

I am thinking of getting a Buffalo III for a DSD DAC project, my question is :-

Does this great Asynchronous I2S FIFO project of Ian supports DSD playback ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 27th April 2014, 06:01 PM   #3246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmito View Post
Hi. I'm looking for at least two, preferrably four, battery management boards from Ian's group buys. I would prefer the latest version of the board, but any would do. Either pcb's or assembled boards would be ok. Thanks.
Hi Palmito
I also need a B.M.S for my A123 and clock Board,I put a request in Swap meet,but no reply,maybe you will have better luck.I also looking for alternatives but I did not find anything.Do you know something that could replace the B.M.S of Ian.
Old 27th April 2014, 07:04 PM   #3247
palmito is offline palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsidxxl View Post
Do you know something that could replace the B.M.S of Ian.
Hi. No, regrettably I don't know either. Maybe Ian will read this and let us know if he has any spares, but I doubt it, as he most likely saves the few he has for people who buy the kit (and rightly so). I'll let you know if I do find anything!
Old 28th April 2014, 12:48 AM   #3248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shbehmal View Post
Hi,
Can some one help me out here?

I am thinking of getting a Buffalo III for a DSD DAC project, my question is :-

Does this great Asynchronous I2S FIFO project of Ian supports DSD playback ?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, no it doesn't. The buffer size is too small so the current FIFO board cannot be programmed to support suitable length buffer for DSD. Ian has considered developing a new revision that would support this but as yet as far as I know Ian hasn't had time to finish that design.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 28th April 2014, 02:57 AM   #3249
diyAudio Member

Thank you hochopeper for the answer.
Old 28th April 2014, 06:35 AM   #3250
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDD View Post
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, and reminding me about the firmwareV3.80 pdf that I somehow missed.

I've rechecked all the settings, and managed to connect everything in between the CS8414 and SM5847. Upon streaming music to the apple tv connected to the DAC (via toslink), I sometimes get a lot of noise with the music playing. The noise is as if I've not tuned a radio station correctly. Other times, everything plays perfectly and I couldn't find a pattern for it. If I connect the toslink to my laptop, it plays the music without any noise every time. I'm missing something, but I can't figure out what it is.

Paul
When is noise can you check whether the LEDs on the FIFO board are blinking (Lock, Full, Empty), maybe the clock on the apple tv drifts and the FIFO cannot lock on it every time.

Also try to change the SYNCN pin value on SM5847 (Jitter-free/Sync mode) - it varies the timing tolerances of SM5847 - however if it works perfectly with your laptop I wouldn't think this is the issue.

Zsolt

Hide this!Advertise here!