Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2013, 12:02 AM   #3001
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
Hi guys,
I know this has already been discussed before, but the thread is terrifyingly long and using the search function hasn't helped.
So, how exactly do you implement the power supplying with batteries?
I'm thinking of using cyclon batteries (6V), with a TPS reg. Also, I have some lm10 around and thinking of making a voltage threshold indicator with them. What do you think?

To those who use A123 batteries: Do you have these connected directly on the board?
I use both. cyclon might be one of the best among lead batteries, one of few with medical grade. But you need a low noise LDO. 3.2V LifePO4 battery cell direct power could be better.

Regards,

Ian
Old 2nd October 2013, 02:08 AM   #3002
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvduybom View Post
I use two battery management V.25, they require two separate 5VDC for each board.
The cause of relay switching repeatedly by I used small capacitor for PSU, when the load current, VDC reduced. Fix with large capacitor .
Old 4th October 2013, 02:31 AM   #3003
palmito is online now palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LifePO4 Battery A123 - setup question

I have been using a generic lifepo4 and just got A123's. Mine don't have any tabs on the negative end and a thread for a screw on the positive. The instructions from A123 recommend that if tabs are soldered that not much heat, if any, be applied. How are people using the A123's attach the tabs or wires to the ends that don't have threads?

From the A123 battery pack design document:
Cell interconnects (tabs) should be neither soldered on the end caps nor attached using extreme heat. A123 Systems recommends tabs be resistance or laser-welded to both ends of the cells.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th October 2013, 03:57 PM   #3004
4me2ctv is offline 4me2ctv  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default I need help for group buy order.

Hello. I hope this is the forum for my questions. I will admit I am a newbie. Despite all the reading I've done, it is still difficult for me to understand all the pieces. My project is to setup a media server into a WaveIO to FIFO to I2S PCM to DAC. I found Ian's post:
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Ian recommends this configuration to hook up XMOS WaveIO USB interface to FIFO KIT.
Quote:
Connecting the isolated I2S output into the I2S backdoor on the S/PDIF Interface Board. The configuration is highly recommended. But you need an additional Vdd for the isolator. You can feed it with the 5V power supply from J13 on the S/PDIF board.
I think I need to purchase:
S/PDIF Interface Board
Asynch I2S FIFO
DUAL XO Clock Board
Digital Isolator Board
I2S to PCM Driver to AD1865

I am not sure if I missed anything. If someone is able to help, that would be great. I'd like to purchase all the bits like regulators and so on to make it the best possible. I'm not sure about these options and where they fit into my project.

I want to interface into a DAC which has S/PDIF input to AD1865. My DAC chips are CS8414, 74HC04 and AD1865. I also need help to know what cabling I should order to make hookup of the I2S PCM Driver board to the DAC.

Thanks,
Adrien.
Old 13th October 2013, 01:51 AM   #3005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4me2ctv View Post
Hello. I hope this is the forum for my questions. I will admit I am a newbie. Despite all the reading I've done, it is still difficult for me to understand all the pieces. My project is to setup a media server into a WaveIO to FIFO to I2S PCM to DAC. I found Ian's post:
Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Ian recommends this configuration to hook up XMOS WaveIO USB interface to FIFO KIT.

I think I need to purchase:
S/PDIF Interface Board
Asynch I2S FIFO
DUAL XO Clock Board
Digital Isolator Board
I2S to PCM Driver to AD1865

I am not sure if I missed anything. If someone is able to help, that would be great. I'd like to purchase all the bits like regulators and so on to make it the best possible. I'm not sure about these options and where they fit into my project.

I want to interface into a DAC which has S/PDIF input to AD1865. My DAC chips are CS8414, 74HC04 and AD1865. I also need help to know what cabling I should order to make hookup of the I2S PCM Driver board to the DAC.

Thanks,
Adrien.
Hi Adrien,

If you just want to run AD1865 from I2S sources, then your just need the I2S to PCM converter board.

FIFO KIT is working for improving sound quality. You can included it into your system later on or at anytime you want.

Ian
Old 13th October 2013, 03:53 PM   #3006
diyAudio Member

I have a question on how to best integrate the upgraded version of Peter Daniel's balanced-output DAC using 2 TDA1543 chips with the FIFO.

See details of this upgrade in this thread: Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC

To make a balanced output, one of the two channels of each TDA1543 is fed an inverted version of the data. The stock configuration uses a 74ACT86 (Quad 2-In EX-OR gate). See attached diagram of how this is used to produce the normal and inverted data lines.

I had first thought that the Unversal I2S-PCM board would work here as it as it does produce an inverted data output, but I didn't realize then that the TDA1543 is I2S input only. So the PCM-only output of the converter board would not work.

Then I looked at the FIFO for a similar feature and didn't see one.

Is there a better way to produce this inverted data line, especially in conjunction with the FIFO?

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I am also very interested in how best to integrate the A123 cells while not violating the 'don't solder to the end caps' directive. Any thoughts here too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pol.jpg (68.0 KB, 535 views)

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 13th October 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Not enough coffee, forgot link & pix!
Old 20th October 2013, 07:24 PM   #3007
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Hello Ian and guys,

It has been awhile for me since I posted here. Ian, I just recently installed my Si570 clock board with no problems. There is slight problem when at 384 KHz, some noise comes out when no signal applied, but than disappears. It also need ssome warm up time. Up to 192 KHz all is cool. But that is not my question. With my previous project where I use FIFO board, I failed to achieve what I originally wanted - all digital crossover. For various reasons I ended up with digital front end and analog crossover.

Now I am starting a new project where I will try to do what I wanted originally, all digital crossover. After very helpful conversation I had with Hochopeper I decided for my crossover to be Titan - LightHarmonics USB to I2S multichannel board and two Acko DACs ESS 9012 boards. Obviously I cannot use FIFO here since there are two DACs, but I was thinking in using Si570 board as master clock for clocking all of the boards in synchronized operation. Titan has possibility of being in the slave mode and Si570 board has as far as I understand 3 MCK outs - two inverted and terminated with 50 ohm and one unterminated and I guess non inverted. I am unclear in the following:
Do I bring to connectors of Si570 World Clock, Bit Clock and one Data signal, and rout all out MCK signals?

Or maybe I do not connect any signals to Si570 board and just pull MCK signals out to each board? Coming out of the Titan Board, World Clock and Bit Clock signals are all the same for all 4 channels, the only difference is data.

Now, there is also thing that Si570 board will not change frequency automatically when in stand alone mode. Does that also stand if world clock and Bit clock signals are delivered to it, so if signal changes its sampling rate Si570 will do it automatically as well?

Thank you
Old 21st October 2013, 02:48 AM   #3008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Hi Adrien,

If you just want to run AD1865 from I2S sources, then your just need the I2S to PCM converter board.

FIFO KIT is working for improving sound quality. You can included it into your system later on or at anytime you want.

Ian
Ive been reading your awesome work, but there are too many info got lost.

Im planning to run my AD1865 and TDA1543 . Do I need only the FIFO KIT and the I2S to PCM kit?

Regards!
Old 21st October 2013, 03:01 AM   #3009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Hello Ian and guys,

It has been awhile for me since I posted here. Ian, I just recently installed my Si570 clock board with no problems. There is slight problem when at 384 KHz, some noise comes out when no signal applied, but than disappears. It also need ssome warm up time. Up to 192 KHz all is cool. But that is not my question. With my previous project where I use FIFO board, I failed to achieve what I originally wanted - all digital crossover. For various reasons I ended up with digital front end and analog crossover.

Now I am starting a new project where I will try to do what I wanted originally, all digital crossover. After very helpful conversation I had with Hochopeper I decided for my crossover to be Titan - LightHarmonics USB to I2S multichannel board and two Acko DACs ESS 9012 boards. Obviously I cannot use FIFO here since there are two DACs, but I was thinking in using Si570 board as master clock for clocking all of the boards in synchronized operation. Titan has possibility of being in the slave mode and Si570 board has as far as I understand 3 MCK outs - two inverted and terminated with 50 ohm and one unterminated and I guess non inverted. I am unclear in the following:
Do I bring to connectors of Si570 World Clock, Bit Clock and one Data signal, and rout all out MCK signals?

Or maybe I do not connect any signals to Si570 board and just pull MCK signals out to each board? Coming out of the Titan Board, World Clock and Bit Clock signals are all the same for all 4 channels, the only difference is data.

Now, there is also thing that Si570 board will not change frequency automatically when in stand alone mode. Does that also stand if world clock and Bit clock signals are delivered to it, so if signal changes its sampling rate Si570 will do it automatically as well?

Thank you
Hi AR2,

It's great you back to the thread. How are you doing?

I'm thinking about your questions now and will get back to you very soon.

Have a good night.

Ian
Old 21st October 2013, 03:26 AM   #3010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post

Thank you
Hi AR2

Regarding the section I've quoted above, I believe that yes it does stand. The reason being that the FIFO processor does all of the thinking in the normal setup and the Si570 just does what it's told by the FIFO. There is a bit of a challenge in using an external MCLK that's not tightly integrated to the transport because you really want it's frequency to change much quicker than any MCU will sense a hardware output then send command to the Si570. Even so I'm not sure the Si570 could be manually controlled in that way because of the way Ian's UART protocol works. Would need some inside knowledge from him on that one I think!

It might be simpler to work out some small daughter board for the LH Titan and clock distribution on it (maybe do two version and compare clock buffers vs passive distribution). What output connections does the Titan offer? I have seen qusp's but only looked at the Titan closely the once, many months (and beers) ago now.

Also, while you're talking about multichannel it always helps to give Ian a gentle reminder that he's toying with ideas for a multichannel FIFO :P

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!