Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 09:19 AM   #291
vzs is offline vzs  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Hi Ian,
1. I reduced the number of gates requiring SCK to 8, all having max Icct of 1.5mA so 12mA in total. If the board can source 20mA don't you think that this can work without a buffer?
I'm also reclocking the LSBJ 18bit output with MCK so AD1865 should receive a clean clock. I will use a simple 74ACT374 to reclock which would add a max 1pS rms jitter, but I can live with that.

3. I will stick with the default 256*fs and create a small clock adapter to divide/2. If everything works fine will probably buy a dual clock board.
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 12:33 AM   #292
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzs View Post
Hi Ian,
1. I reduced the number of gates requiring SCK to 8, all having max Icct of 1.5mA so 12mA in total. If the board can source 20mA don't you think that this can work without a buffer?
I'm also reclocking the LSBJ 18bit output with MCK so AD1865 should receive a clean clock. I will use a simple 74ACT374 to reclock which would add a max 1pS rms jitter, but I can live with that.

3. I will stick with the default 256*fs and create a small clock adapter to divide/2. If everything works fine will probably buy a dual clock board.
Thanks!
Hi Vzs,

That should be fine. I suspect you want to run the AD1865 at NOS mode. So, in this case, the clk signal of AD1865 is very immprotant, especially the jitter performance. If you could try to improve it, you will gain from the sound.
Good luck.
__________________
Ian GBV - I2S to PCM converter board & FIFO KIT
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post3662743
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 03:57 AM   #293
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Send a message via MSN to chchyong89
off topic, can i know the industry-standard specified "BER" for I2S signal?
__________________
~.~
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 12:20 AM   #294
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by chchyong89 View Post
off topic, can i know the industry-standard specified "BER" for I2S signal?
Hi chchyong89,
I2S standard didn't mention anything about BER. Usually I2S is just using for internal link, if there is any error, that would be very serious problem, shouldn't be happened.
or, maybe I didn't get what exactlly you mean.
Regards,
__________________
Ian GBV - I2S to PCM converter board & FIFO KIT
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post3662743
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 06:39 PM   #295
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Send a message via MSN to Adrculda Send a message via Yahoo to Adrculda
This thread has my attention that's for sure !

I wonder if there is any interest for a USB or HDMI interface...
This way all data can be fed directly into the buffer, then from the buffer into the DAC of your choice.

I personally think this maybe a good choice for those that want to use a PC or Laptop.
This way you basically offer a complete "front end" for those that are looking at a DIY input/buffer/clock for their DAC. Your greatest selling point so far is the fact that everything is a simple snap together.

Another question for you is for the HT guys...
What are the chances for a 8Ch unit ( 8Ch Sabre comes to mind here ) and HDMI audio comes to mind here as well

Thanks Ian...
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 07:23 PM   #296
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chchyong89 View Post
off topic, can i know the industry-standard specified "BER" for I2S signal?
I couldn't find BER mentioned in the standard either:

I2S bus specification
http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/various/I2SBUS.pdf
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 10:02 PM   #297
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrculda View Post
This thread has my attention that's for sure !

I wonder if there is any interest for a USB or HDMI interface...
This way all data can be fed directly into the buffer, then from the buffer into the DAC of your choice.

I personally think this maybe a good choice for those that want to use a PC or Laptop.
This way you basically offer a complete "front end" for those that are looking at a DIY input/buffer/clock for their DAC. Your greatest selling point so far is the fact that everything is a simple snap together.

Another question for you is for the HT guys...
What are the chances for a 8Ch unit ( 8Ch Sabre comes to mind here ) and HDMI audio comes to mind here as well

Thanks Ian...
Hi Adrculda,
Very good suggestions. I'v been think about similar issuses for a quite a while. That might be my next project.
Thanks and have a good night.
Ian
__________________
Ian GBV - I2S to PCM converter board & FIFO KIT
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post3662743
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 06:45 AM   #298
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Hi Ian,
Can you tell me what is the power consumption for all 3 boards? I want to build a shunt power supply for it.
Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 10:21 AM   #299
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
UnixMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Perugia + L'Aquila, Italy
Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Hi Adrculda,
Very good suggestions. I'v been think about similar issuses for a quite a while. That might be my next project.
you may consider integrating the USB interface from this project: "Open-source USB interface: Audio Widget"
__________________
Quote:
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we would let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines." N.P.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 01:44 AM   #300
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhead View Post
Hi Ian,
Can you tell me what is the power consumption for all 3 boards? I want to build a shunt power supply for it.
Thanks.
Hi coolhead,
The total power consumtion is up to what oscillators you are using. For the default configuration, the total current is around 110mA for all the 3 boards.
Have a nice weekend.
__________________
Ian GBV - I2S to PCM converter board & FIFO KIT
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post3662743
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface Lorien Digital Source 2043 17th April 2014 03:31 PM
exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface exa065 exaDevices 1357 3rd March 2014 08:51 PM
DAC chip selection + I2S jitter questions drwho9437 Digital Line Level 2 26th July 2010 12:50 PM
Simple FIFO to I2S CPLD, for MCU players / reclocking KOON3876 Digital Line Level 21 19th September 2008 04:00 PM
asynchronous reclocking and low jitter clocks ash_dac Digital Source 3 8th February 2005 09:22 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2