Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 299 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2013, 04:48 PM   #2981
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

My quote from Magic Crystal was two years ago for 22 and 24 MHz. It was a good value but did not fit the price requirements for the product I was working on.

At 400 Euros they are quite pricy but few options that will fit that footprint with that performance. If a larger package is acceptable there are other options.
Old 1st September 2013, 08:13 AM   #2982
roender is offline roender  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
A friend of mine sent email to me a couple of months ago, he told me that he got problem when playing 90.3168/98.3040 MHz clock on my Dual XO clock board and FIFO KIT. I replied, yes of course, Dual XO clock board does not support 90.xxx/98.xxx MHz XO so far. Then the guy sent another email to me and asked if there is any possible revising the hardware/software somehow to make it working for those frequencies, because they are really nice clocks. He said he would send them to me for evaluation during R&D time if there is any chance to make it.

I was quite exciting when I received them, they are a pair of 90.316800/98.304000 MHz OCXO. Phase noise only -105dBc@10Hz, -135dBc@100Hz. It seems they are exactly what I have been looking for for years. According to the specifications, the phase noise performance would be much better than the Si570, as well as CCHD951.

I thought OCXO could be very hard to use because of the high power consumption of the oven. But it seems I was wrong, this OCXO is different, only 150mA at start up and turns to 50mA after two minutes. It would be suitable for the DUAL XO clock board and my ESS9018 DAC. LifePO4 battery cell would be good choice to power it. But I have to revise the Dual XO clock board hardware, and probably firmware, to make it running at quad speed mode to support 90.3168/98.3040 MHz XOs.

The guy didnt tell me where he got them and how much they are. Also, there was no any manufacture information on the spec he gave to me. I think he just wants to keep that information as secret for now for some reason.

I couldn't wait to test them. Will it be another planet or just no big difference?

Ian
The specs seems to be similar to CCHD-957, only double frequency :-) ... but the price ... ouch!
Old 8th September 2013, 11:36 AM   #2983
diyAudio Member

Default Buffalo IIISE with Ian's FIFO and Luckit WaveIO

Just finished my DAC. As Luckit WaveIO supports two simultaneous outputs, SPDIF and IS, and Buffalo DAC supports to switch between two inputs, also SPDIF and IS, I managed to be able to switch between Buffalo onboard Clock CCHD950 (and SPDIF) - and Ian's FIFO Clock CCHD957 (and IS). Interesting comparison! Furthermore I realized to switch onboard clock between mains/ shunt regulator supply - and battery LiFePO4 supply, indeed an improvement with the latter. FIFO dual XO board is always fed with battery LiFePO4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07102.jpg (621.3 KB, 463 views)
Old 8th September 2013, 11:50 AM   #2984
diyAudio Member

Are you powering the WaveIO with Ian's TPS7A4700 regulator? That 3pin reg board of Ian's might not hold together too well with the load of the XMOS ... the little chip has no chance to dissipate the heat of a ~300-350mA load ...
Old 8th September 2013, 01:11 PM   #2985
diyAudio Member

Yes I do. Thanks for that notice. I have replayed 192kHz 24bit, under this conditions the load should be appr. 450mA - 500mA - but still it doesnt even get warm. Probably due to very low drop out voltage, input is 5,6V, output 5V.
Old 12th September 2013, 02:56 PM   #2986
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
//0xC8 command has to be sent within 100ms after getting event 0xC1,
//Otherwise Si570 driver will determine the setting frequency and xfs according to the preset without stop the music
Hi Ian,

Just rationalising the number of controllers I'm using and what not. With the idea that driving the FIFO from an arm raspberry pi/beaglebone ... it would make sense to control the si570 from the same device.

Now I'm going to try writing the application in python first (will be re-using some other code I've already half-written for controlling Denon AVR). But just so that I get an idea of the timing involved.

100ms gives time for:

1. command send from si570 - 70bits = 8ms
2. processing time at controller - ??
3. command send from controller - 70bits = 8ms

So I've got ~75-80ms in the computer to decide what to do then reply, does that sound right?

So, if my experiments in python don't work out with my beaglebone I have the option of using one of it's on-chip RISC co-processors that are intended for realtime industrial comms and programming it in assembly but ... there's a learning curve to that for me and it would be hugely overkill if the python option gets the job done in time without too many hacks. Also that's beaglebone specific so won't help anyone who isn't using an AM355x processor, ie RPi and similar. Alternatively it could easily be done in C++ but again, I've got little experience there so would need to learn a bit first.

Hopefully I've got some code to share next week

I'll write something for Arduino at some point but little motivation for me at the moment because I doubt I'll use that for myself.
Old 12th September 2013, 03:48 PM   #2987
diyAudio Member

I almost give-up to write the Arduino code for Si570. I've tried several weeks without any progress. I know very very little about coding!!

Hope your code will be working very soon.
Old 12th September 2013, 04:02 PM   #2988
2A3SET is offline 2A3SET  Canada
diyAudio Member

Here is the Si570 library,
https://github.com/gaftech/ArduinoSi...ster/Si570.cpp
Old 13th September 2013, 12:19 AM   #2989
diyAudio Member

Thanks 2A3SET, need some time to understand the code.
Old 13th September 2013, 12:36 AM   #2990
diyAudio Member

Only had a really quick glance at it but isn't that library for i2c comms to the si570 itself and not Ian's serial protocol?

Hide this!Advertise here!