Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Ref Battery Holders

I tried a few battery holders and found these to work great at a great price.

5Pcs 1X 26650 Cell Battery Box Case Holder Container Organizer Plastic Supplies | eBay

The size/Quality is perfect
I tried bending a quality surface mount but they were too big and did not lineup

The advantage of holders is the batteries can be taken out fast in a pinch
when Lifepo4 is off all the batteries are in parallel you short one you short them all, that is a huge amount of amperage. Placing in a metal case increase the risk.
It can be very dangerous and accidents are more likely to occur as we tend to keep changing things. I have changed things a dozen times after I thought I was done.
For Added safety while working and testing the system I found adding zip ties give you something to grab in case you want to pull them out fast. you can take them out once you are done tinkering.

Attachments

• IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    924.2 KB · Views: 554
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Yes, the generic holders were the first item I purchased since they seem the most difficult to acquire at the time. For direct soldering of wire, it was difficult to work the first time around. For Ian's board it's an unknown at this time the difficulty level.

That's a crafty solution with the zip ties, I might try that out. I was considering a zip tip to tie to case for portable if the screws on both ends are not secure enough, but never considered using zip ties for battery removal.

I was able to remove the battery contact from the holder, so that should be helpful down the line. Don't have to worry about inhaling cheap plastic anymore.

Also... good news that I was able to avoid those large pointy tabs on my 26650. I requested in the notes on my order to make shorts tabs and I was soldering a wire. To my surprise it arrived pretty nicely. Something like below:

Original-A123-Anr26650m1b-With-Tab-3-2v.jpg_350x350.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the flea could work pretty well. Output voltage would need to be lowered to 3.3v for AVCC. Also, I would be leery of the ferrite bead. Probably go for the non-iron core coil inductor option myself.

In addition, for AVCC use probably best if its ground is connected as directly as possible to dac ground plane. Might also want to make sure it doesn't pick up EMI/RFI from the dac and or nearby clocks.

Hello everybody,
I have a question to ask cause I think I have read the manuals and the posts here but I am missing something.
I have installed a FifoPI Q3 between a RPI -> ReceiverPi->Fifo PI->Ian canada 9038 dual mono Dac and I play through volumio.
Everything I try to play shows as 32Bit on the Controller.

On Volumio I have tried both Generic i2s Dac and HigiBerry Dac Plus with no difference. (oversampling is off on volumio settings)
I have checked the S1 jumper on FiFO Dac and both switches are on OFF position. I tried to change them back to On and Off if something is stuck there but no difference?

Do you have any clue?

Thank you very much all for this amazing thread and hope It is not a completely dumb question!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It doesn't exist on the Accusilicon web site. The performance specs are more in line with the AS509 only better and at a higher frequency in a smaller package. This is an area where fraudsters could do a lot since the tools to verify performance are quite rare and expensive and evaluating the performance through listening would be very subjective.

Agree. I hope that Ian will come up with something like low phase noise ocxo clocks that can be installed on his exellent fifo. After hearing the improvement from the stock clocks and the Accusilicon in my setup, I want even better clocks, and oven controlled clocks which can be easy integreated is my wish, do you hear Ian ?

Regarding the IV stage: I think you can safely hotrod es9038q2m at 3.6VDC, if you can stand a bit more output current; ie the opamp rails are high enough and Opa filter/feedback network suitable. Lastly, if your gain setup in pre and power amps. Then vcom is held at 1.8v (avcc/2). Not looking at the fs right now, but the 9038PRO allows max ~5v on abc and historically this has been a way to eek a bit more performance out of 9018 and 9028. Don't over do it, so I think 3.6 is safe, for the willing.

As for OCXO, long term stability, which is all that this helps with, is fairly irrelevant for listening. Close in phase noise is important imo, but jitter at 0.00...1Hz is orders of magnitude longer wavelength than even wow and flutter of vinyl. As a matter of association, clocks that have good close in phase noise performance may also be OCXO, but correlation does not necessarily equal causation. YMMV, but that's the way I see it.

Hello all! I recently received:

FIFOPi3 with upgraded 90/98 AccuSilicon clocks
HDMIPi HDMI i2S/LVDS transmitter
LifePO4 battery psu powering clean and dirty side of FifoPi only, for now (may power HDMIPi with it later)

I've got it all working, well outputting sound to my DAC (Denafrips with i2S input, Gustard format is how I have it configured), but am limited to DSD64 and I'm assuming this is a limitation on the software side. I've been made aware of Symphonic MPD as a player option, but evidently that takes some time to be allowed in as a member or something, to download and try it.

Is that the only option for someone who uses Roon and HQ Player? I hate to be that guy who thought this was going to be a bit simpler than it's turning out, but on the other hand - for stuff that is DIY in nature - it really fit together fine and didn't give me any problems figuring out how to get it working in a basic fashion, at least.

Any way, I'm sure this has been asked many times before so I'll keep digging, but wanted to ask regardless. Thank you!

Todd

Forgot to ask - is there a good US source for the short u.FL IPX female-female cables Ian ships with certain products? I currently only have MCLK connected between FIFO and HDMIPi. No idea if I need the others connected but it seems I see pics of Ian's setups and he has them all connected. No idea if that's really necessary, though.

Thanks!