Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 292 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2013, 08:39 AM   #2911
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

OK, well if you plan to use it fairly exclusively with the AKD12 or other acko stuff, you can pretty easily solder a w.fl socket, on the u.fl position. just remove the ufl with a blob of molten solder on the end of the soldering iron, then solder wfl in its place.
sdata, that depends on how you have the internal ESS channel mapping set up, talk to acko about that one.

if you are using sync mode, then you will need to have the onboard clock removed, have you done this already? this will expose a u.fl pattern underneath. so all the other positions are w.fl, but mck is u.fl, so no need to change that one on the si570
Old 29th July 2013, 12:55 PM   #2912
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbk View Post
Ah sorry my bad its the SSR01 so NOT smd, was mixing it up with his diamond buffers..
Nice choke

How much in difference with and without the choke?

Have you get choke compare with a resistor?

Ian
Old 29th July 2013, 01:13 PM   #2913
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Nice choke

Ian
It's a pretty big difference, I've compared to a 2,2 ohm resistor and a 16 awg, 0,75 ohm 3,4mH (jantzen wax) speakercoil. The Jantzen waxcoil actually sounds the worse of all 3, it even sounds worse then simply paralleling the 2 47.000 uF caps. The resistor seems to make a small change for the better. The 460mH/3,4 ohm lundahl is an entirely different animal.

Currently considering building the attached psu, everything including the 0,22R in a seperate chassis, last C + superreg + fifo in its own enclosure.

Any comments are welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (144.0 KB, 250 views)
Old 29th July 2013, 02:09 PM   #2914
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

if the PSU means you have to put the fifo into another enclosure and make the clock lines longer, you have your priorities all wrong; its counter-productive
Old 29th July 2013, 02:14 PM   #2915
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
OK, well if you plan to use it fairly exclusively with the AKD12...
This is absolutely my plan. I have no onboard clock on the AKD. u.fl mck - check!

Jepp - it's the mapping vs. no_of_w.fl cables that puzzle me. With the "new" mapping, is 2 or 3 w.fl data cables needed?

//
Old 29th July 2013, 02:30 PM   #2916
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
if the PSU means you have to put the fifo into another enclosure and make the clock lines longer, you have your priorities all wrong; its counter-productive
No clock lines will be the same, I will put the fifo + waveio + hypex dlcp + regulators in a single enclosure, all powersupplies in a second enclosure.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:55 AM   #2917
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Nice choke

Ian
I ran another test.

On the waveio supply I can hear a slight difference with or without the choke but cant say which of the 2 is better. So that would be C only vs CLC before the voltage reg.

On the fifo the difference is again rather large. Same supply, C vs CLC before regulator. Without the choke the highs are "sharper/more agressive/shouty", however on a really dark sounding system people may interpret this as having more bite? Hard to imagine as it also seems "more airy". Midrange purity seems improved with the choke. But the biggest difference is bass impact, I can feel it hitting in my couch.

I'm far from an expert on all of this but wonder why. Can it be additional energy storage/availability from the choke? Or just less jitter? And if so how, additonal filtering? Cant be a lower ripple thing can it with the voltage reg following it? I'm just having a hard time understanding why the difference is so pronounced on just the i2s->spdif converter. I would expect these effects more from powersupplies feeding analogue stages.

Last edited by edbk; 30th July 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:43 AM   #2918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbk View Post
Without the choke the highs are "sharper/more agressive/shouty", however on a really dark sounding system people may interpret this as having more bite? Hard to imagine as it also seems "more airy". Midrange purity seems improved with the choke. But the biggest difference is bass impact, I can feel it hitting in my couch.
Some things are obviously hard to explain. Your observations are very close to what i feel is the audible effect of chokes in analogue power supplies. Why should it sound the same way in a purely digital system is a bit of a mystery.

Otoh, it is the same system ground which is also shared by the analogue stages, right?
Old 30th July 2013, 11:59 AM   #2919
diyAudio Member

try coke input.....
Old 30th July 2013, 12:39 PM   #2920
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Otoh, it is the same system ground which is also shared by the analogue stages, right?
Well through the spdif ground then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch58 View Post
try coke input.....
In the works, see post 2913 just a few above

Hide this!Advertise here!