Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 280 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2013, 05:23 AM   #2791
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Exclamation 2nd source for A123 Systems LiFePo4 cells

Hey guys,

ive got an email from A123 Systems with a link to their authorized on-line distributor in the US.

Look at the bottom of my blog entry!

Old 28th May 2013, 08:39 PM   #2792
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Based on powering Si570 clock board form a 3.2V LifePO4 battery direct as a reference recently, I found there still some space to improve the performance of TPS7A4700 low noise regulator.

All this sounds very encouraging but i have a more pragmatic question: does the Si570 board, powered from batteries, sound subjectively better that the dual clock board using Crystek oscillators with the on-board regs?

I guess i should get off my *** and try this out myself. The caps will obviously still matter, even with batteries...

Could it be the 570 itself is cursed?
Old 29th May 2013, 12:00 AM   #2793
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
All this sounds very encouraging but i have a more pragmatic question: does the Si570 board, powered from batteries, sound subjectively better that the dual clock board using Crystek oscillators with the on-board regs?

I guess i should get off my *** and try this out myself. The caps will obviously still matter, even with batteries...

Could it be the 570 itself is cursed?
Hi analog_sa,

The phase noise performance of Si570 is not as good as CCHD957. But it might be the best 98.3040MHz/90.3168MHz clock sources we can touch so far, except you can order OEM CCHD950 or OEM low phase noise OCXO.

Si570 draw around 110mA current, 4-5 times more than traditional XO, together with some dynamic load response, it will ask for more from low noise power supply. So, to maximize Si570 performance, the real challenge is the power supply. Any improvement on noise performance of power supply will result in improving on sound quality.

I suggest you stick with dual XO clock board if you don't need 98.xxx/90.xxx MHz frequency and the inverting MCLK. Otherwise, it worth giving a try.

Regards,

Ian
Old 30th May 2013, 07:10 AM   #2794
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice Ian.

Btw, is there any reason not to use the single clock board at higher frequencies? I stuck a 49MHz Crystek in it and it seems to operate fine.
Old 30th May 2013, 07:35 AM   #2795
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

You could use the dual XO board with one of these http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/AMK-2-13+.pdf and this LTC6957 - Low Phase Noise, Dual Output Buffer/Driver/Logic Converter - Linear Technology to turn the 49 MHz into a very clean 98 MHz (96 for the 44.1 chain). The typical additive phase noise of this type of doubler is very low so its not a compromise, just some analog magic in the middle.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:42 PM   #2796
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Thanks for the advice Ian.

Btw, is there any reason not to use the single clock board at higher frequencies? I stuck a 49MHz Crystek in it and it seems to operate fine.
Single clock board doesn't switch between different Fs. But I don't think there is any problem if you stick with only one frequency.

The other thing is it doesn't come with clock drivers. If you have more branches to drive, the clock tree performance might be not as good as other clock board.

Ian
Old 7th June 2013, 03:43 PM   #2797
diyAudio Member

Hi Olivier

Thank you for your diagram, that makes it easier for me to answer your question.

Have a nice weekend.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connections.JPG (54.1 KB, 365 views)
Old 8th June 2013, 03:56 PM   #2798
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ian

The MCLK and GRD out of Amanero is not connected ?
Old 8th June 2013, 03:58 PM   #2799
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsidxxl View Post
Thanks Ian

The MCLK and GRD out of Amanero is not connected ?
Ground must be connected. Mclk is not connected.
Old 8th June 2013, 04:17 PM   #2800
diyAudio Member

OK thank hochopeper ,I wanted to use 3 AFL Coaxial cable,but I need to use the 7 pin connector input.

Hide this!Advertise here!