Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Very nice Ian!

But still a bit confusing to me, until I saw the USB cable between the RPi and Amanero:rolleyes:

Would this work with a ReceiverPi in the stack?

I.e. RPi - ReceiverPi - BridgePi (w. Amanero) - FifoPi - DAC HAT - I/V

Would the same thing work without a BridgePi, but with the Amanero output connected to the I2S/DSD input on a ReceiverPi?

Does it have to be RPi 4?

Thanks!

Hi NicMic,

It works this way
RPi - BridgePi (w. Amanero) - ReceiverPi(optional) - FifoPi - DAC HAT - I/V

It can also work without a RPi
MiniPC - BridgePi (w. Amanero) - (ReceiverPi, optional) - FifoPi - DAC HAT - I/V

To reach higher Fs and native DSD, BridgePi makes things much easier and direct

If you like, of course you can do it this this way the same thing work without a BridgePi, but with the Amanero output connected to the I2S/DSD input on a ReceiverPi.

Doesn't have to be Pi4, you can use any.

Good weekend.
Ian

Last edited:
I finally make it! Got native DSD512 from GPIO on a RPi through BridgePi. I use Amanero Combo384 as the USB streamer. Here are the steps:

1. Flash Amanero Combo384 with FW that supports DSD512 & PCM 768KHz
CPLD: 1081_DSDSWAPPED
CPU: 2006be13

2. Install the Amanero Combo384 to a RaspberryPi 4 through the BridgePi. (ESS controller is just used for GPIO signal monitor, for best possible sound quality, FifoPi and ConditionerPi are highly recommended)

3. Volumio setting
Select USB Combo384 Amanero as output device with I2S DAC disabled.
Select DSD direct.
Enable Roon plugin

3. Roon setup (optional)
Settings-Audio Enable Volumio as roon device
Select this device as Zone
Select Native DSD and Up to DSD512 and Up to 768KHz

Now I can enjoy native DSD up to DSD512 either directly from Volumio or through Roon.

It's really great. Now I can do a lot of thing based on this platform.

Good weekend.
Ian

Ian,
are you routing DSD_EN and MUTE pins from Amanero anywhere on the FifoPi isolated GPIO?
Since JP9 can be used on TransportPi for DSD_EN, I was hoping one can use these on the isolated side as well.

On a separate note, it's a bummer there isn't an option to pass MUTE to the HDMI port on TransportPi the same way as DSD_EN. There is a loud pop (though not a deal-breaker) when DSD is playing on my D90.

Ian,
are you routing DSD_EN and MUTE pins from Amanero anywhere on the FifoPi isolated GPIO?
Since JP9 can be used on TransportPi for DSD_EN, I was hoping one can use these on the isolated side as well.

On a separate note, it's a bummer there isn't an option to pass MUTE to the HDMI port on TransportPi the same way as DSD_EN. There is a loud pop (though not a deal-breaker) when DSD is playing on my D90.

FifoPi Q3 will have isolated DSD_EN output that you can pass it to TransportPi.

FifoPi Q2 has this signal but not isolated.

Regards,
Ian

FifoPi Q3 will have isolated DSD_EN output that you can pass it to TransportPi.

FifoPi Q2 has this signal but not isolated.

Regards,
Ian

Ian,

In the documentation it says the isolated GPIO pins are just pass-through (except for the I2S sand power pins).
What prevents me now to supply HIGH/LOW to any of the RPI pins (by means of a driver, for example) and I should be able to find them on the isolated site?

Then I just jumper TransportPi J9 to any of the TransportPi GPIO pins I used in RPI and I’m done...

Last edited:
Ian, I'm confused about the variety of your individual products. Let me try my question like this: I don't want to use a Rasperry or ESS product. I generally prefer a special PC with USB output as a source. Terminal device in the source should be a DAC with I2S input (AK4499 like Topping D90). What is the ideal Ian chain in between - with LVDS?

PC -> USB??? (BridgePI w. Amanero - didn't find this on Github) - HDMIpiTransmitter? - HDMIpiReceiver - FifoPi Q2 (didn't find Q3) - DAC

What PSU?

Regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Its a good idea for ian to make digital interfase lets say it has usb input so it can be used with any pc and have fifo recloking and isolation with good power supply(amanero also can be fed with separate power supply not from usb) and have hdmi trasmiter on the end so it can be used wit any dac wich has hdmi input. Its posible now to build one from separate boards but I think this all possible to have on one board and skip all Pi route.

Its a good idea for ian to make digital interfase lets say it has usb input so it can be used with any pc and have fifo recloking and isolation with good power supply(amanero also can be fed with separate power supply not from usb) and have hdmi trasmiter on the end so it can be used wit any dac wich has hdmi input. Its posible now to build one from separate boards but I think this all possible to have on one board and skip all Pi route.

I couldn't agree more. As far as I'm concerned, Raspberry is not suitable for this purpose. It's small, but it's not powerful. For music playback as a source a well and effectively programmed (command line) RAM player is necessary. Possibly a Linux command line realtime OS (remote controlled). You need some power for that. The ESS chips are of course good in a technical sense. Especially the 9038Pro. However, they do not sound as musical as the AKs. But that may be due to the filters.

Ian, I'm confused about the variety of your individual products. Let me try my question like this: I don't want to use a Rasperry or ESS product. I generally prefer a special PC with USB output as a source. Terminal device in the source should be a DAC with I2S input (AK4499 like Topping D90). What is the ideal Ian chain in between - with LVDS?

PC -> USB??? (BridgePI w. Amanero - didn't find this on Github) - HDMIpiTransmitter? - HDMIpiReceiver - FifoPi Q2 (didn't find Q3) - DAC

What PSU?

Regards
Thomas

@Thomas,

If you want a RPi free system, I would suggest two options for you:

1. PC -> BridgePI w. Amanero - FifoPi Q2 - DAC
2. PC -> BridgePI w. Amanero - FifoPi Q3 - TransportPi or HdmiPi - D90.

For the first option, LifePO4 power supply would be a good choice.
For the second option, you can just simply use an ConditionerPi.

Or, you can wait for my LinearPi 5V/3.3V with optional UcConditioner upgrade.

Good weekend.
Ian

BridgePi + FifoPi Q3 + TransportPi

Power suppy:
Non isolation: Just ConditionerPi
Isolated: LinearPi Dual + optional UcConditioner

Ian

@Thomas,

If you want a RPi free system, I would suggest two options for you:

1. PC -> BridgePI w. Amanero - FifoPi Q2 - DAC
2. PC -> BridgePI w. Amanero - FifoPi Q3 - TransportPi or HdmiPi - D90.

For the first option, LifePO4 power supply would be a good choice.
For the second option, you can just simply use an ConditionerPi.

Or, you can wait for my LinearPi 5V/3.3V with optional UcConditioner upgrade.

Good weekend.
Ian

Thank you Ian. Why is at 1. no LVDS (the way is not "short") :confused: Or is your second point the way to go with any (own soloution with I2S input) AK4499 DAC? I don't find "BridgePI w. Amanero" and "...Q3" at Github. Maybe that's the reason for ... :)

Thank you Ian. Why is at 1. no LVDS (the way is not "short") :confused: Or is your second point the way to go with any (own soloution with I2S input) AK4499 DAC? I don't find "BridgePI w. Amanero" and "...Q3" at Github. Maybe that's the reason for ... :)

@TJF

Both TransportPi and HdimPi have LVDS output.

New information will be updated to gitHub soon.

Ian

One last question (->I2S): Which arrangement is better and why?

1.) [[TransportPi or HdmiPi]-Receiver -> DAC] in one enclosure!
PC -> [BridgePI w. Amanero] -> FifoPi Q3 -> [TransportPi or HdmiPi]-Transmitter -> [[TransportPi or HdmiPi]-Receiver -> DAC]

2.) [FifoPi Q3 -> DAC] in one enclosure!
PC -> [BridgePI w. Amanero] -> [TransportPi or HdmiPi]-Transmitter -> [TransportPi or HdmiPi]-Receiver -> [FifoPi Q3 -> DAC]

@TJF

If you DAC can not have FifoPi installed, then the first option would be good to go
PC -> [BridgePI w. Amanero] -> FifoPi Q3 -> [TransportPi or HdmiPi] -> [HdmiPi]-Receiver -> DAC

The second option is better if you can install FifoPi closed to your DAC.
PC -> [BridgePI w. Amanero] -> [TransportPi or HdmiPi] -> SPDIF or [HdmiPi]-Receiver -> [FifoPi Q3 -> DAC]

Ian

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Thanks Ian.i assume no adapter is required to use with fifopi

You can order AS318 from audiohhonics, they are pretty good

ACCUSILICON AS318-B-983040 Ultra Low Jitter Clock 98.3040MHz - Audiophonics

ACCUSILICON AS318-B-903168 Ultra Low Jitter Clock 90.3168MHz - Audiophonics

I've tried mouser many times without finding any good one.
Regards,
Ian

Hi, I queued up for the GB2020 FifoPi Q3. Absolutely no rush pls.

I was considering Crystek since that seems like a straightforward install with the adapters.

But since there is time to put in an overseas order from France, I may as well order the AS318. I would of probably ended up AS318 eventually.

I can't find the post, but I read it's a straight drop down in place of the stock clocks? No adapter needed?

I listen to mainly redbook and since I'm optical it's limited to 24/192. Do you still recommend the 90/98 combo or is it more optimal to drop down to the 45/49?

ACCUSILICON AS318-B-451584 Ultra Low Jitter Clock 45MHz - Audiophonics

ACCUSILICON AS318-B-491520 Ultra Low Jitter Clock 49MHz - Audiophonics

Many Thanks.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Is this also straightforward? I have some LithiumWerks 18650 LiFePO4 batteries I plan to power the clean side.

I ordered 18650 Battery Holders w/ bare wires. Is it as simple as plugging the respective red and black wires into the 3.3v FiFoPi Q3?

ux_a18061900ux0166_ux_c.jpg

I also ordered some 26650 Battery Holders for a future LiFePO4 power supply, but will just concentrate on the FiFoPi Q3 for now.

ux_a15042300ux0142_ux_c.jpg

Buy Cheap 8Pcs Plastic Single 26650 Battery Holder Case Storage Box Black

I'll update how the ordering process went. Uxcell brand is quite popular on Amazon, so felt somewhat comfortable ordering on their main site. The website seemed a little antiquated, but eventually went through. Discount if you order multiple. For example, 2x8pcs you get a discount. I think shipping is bundled in with the product price. I didn't see a charge.

Last edited:
McFifo/McDual for project? And Audiophonics delivery.

I am building an active crossover DSP solution and have a few questions.

The chain is coming together as:

Raspberry Pi4 with Volumio -> FifoPi Ultimate -> TransportPi -> MiniSharc (slave mode) -> 4x stereo DACs (testing potential solutions ATM)-> tube amps for tweeters/mids, SS for woofers, subs -> NHT Classic 3's with a passive crossover-ectomy + Rythmik Servo Subs

Questions-

1) Would it make sense to add McFifo/McDual between the MiniSharc and Dacs? I plan to run Dacs in slave mode and am testing various solutions. (I may go Soekris 1121 or DIY TDA1541/ TDA1387 ... currently have modified PCM5102 Dacs in place to simplify setting everything else up and have a baseline to test other Dacs against..)

2) Is the TransportPi even necessary since I am running i2s from the Pi to the MiniSharc? Or would it be just as good to take the i2s out from the Fifopi ultimate?

3)That is, if I ever receive my FifoPi Ultimate (and Transport Pi, and clocks, and ConditionerPi, etc, etc )from Audiophonics. I ordered them June 22 under the assumption that their site was somewhat accurate in the statement that "Colissimo International will allow you to
collect your parcel anywhere in the world in juste
5 to 10 days, depending on the country selected. Worldwide delivery time: D+5 to D+10
(Excluding Saturday, Sunday and public holidays)."

I wouldn't expect East Coast USA to be on the high end of that 5-10 day estimate but the last tracking information shows the package leaving France 6-26 and provides a USPS partner tracking number.... but USPS shows no record of anything with that number as of today, July 7. The Colissimo site gives me 404 error pages with their problem resolution and emails to Audiophonics initially were answered but they promised to "file a complaint with the shipper" if there wasn't an update this week... and haven't replied to my follow-up emails this week.

I know COVID and all... but MiniDSP recently got a similar sized package at a similar cost to me over a bigger ocean and additional continent in 4 days. So....

I'm sure some of you guys have ordered Ian's (seemingly excellent) products from Audiophonics - have you have shipping issues as well?

Side note- I am very thankful for all the helpful information on this site! I hope to make future contributions in return, perhaps if I succeed at FPGA multibit Dac programming, or the Arduino system I'm putting together for managing this system is of value to others...

Thanks in advance

Chris

Last edited: