Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 240 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2013, 01:36 PM   #2391
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
erm reckon we could lose the pressure for Ian to satisfy your curiosity? I know you are not piling on the pressure, but lots of continuous suggestions, little pressures and some larger ones are exactly why Ian is getting pissed off.

it will not be $20 a piece, EVERYONE has trouble measuring at this level. even for those with highest grade equipment its not a simple task.

Last edited by qusp; 16th February 2013 at 01:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 01:40 PM   #2392
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Default From the Si570 Clock Board guide

Ian
From the Si570 Clock Board guide:

>This LDO board has been determined to be one of the best ways so far to power the Si570 Clock Board.<

Do you implying that powering up the clock with the LDO board give subjectively (in your setup) a better sound then directly powering the clock from Lipefo4 3.2V Bat or simply that the LDO powering is a best solution overall, if we take convenience in account?

Great manual by the way, thanks for all the info in the tips sections
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 01:53 PM   #2393
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridrik View Post
Ian
From the Si570 Clock Board guide:

>This LDO board has been determined to be one of the best ways so far to power the Si570 Clock Board.<

Do you implying that powering up the clock with the LDO board give subjectively (in your setup) a better sound then directly powering the clock from Lipefo4 3.2V Bat or simply that the LDO powering is a best solution overall, if we take convenience in account?

Great manual by the way, thanks for all the info in the tips sections
Well first of all there is no such thing as a 3.2V LiPFE04 battery, batteries don't have regulation their voltage changes as they are used, from 3.6V down to 3.2V.

Second what do you think, do you want to mess around with batteries or use a LDO regulator that you never have to worry about charging or installing backwards and frying your pcb. Batteries are for OCD types like qusp

Basically if you have to ask go with the regulator.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 02:02 PM   #2394
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Ian uses more batteries in his home setup than I do I mostly couldnt be bothered, but I also play with post-regulated batteries sometimes. I use batteries for portable
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 02:36 PM   #2395
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Well first of all there is no such thing as a 3.2V LiPFE04 battery, batteries don't have regulation their voltage changes as they are used, from 3.6V down to 3.2V.

Second what do you think, do you want to mess around with batteries or use a LDO regulator that you never have to worry about charging or installing backwards and frying your pcb. Batteries are for OCD types like qusp

Basically if you have to ask go with the regulator.
Hi Regal,

1: your right but 3.2V was a cut and paste from the manual and also the nominal voltage regular showed for those type of cell
2: your also right I would prefer to use LDO but up to today I always prefer sonicly battery powered devices when it come to low power audio

This is why I asked. I will probable buy a couple or more of LDO board from Ian anyway
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 02:48 PM   #2396
diyAudio Member
 
andrea_mori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
... EVERYONE has trouble measuring at this level. even for those with highest grade equipment its not a simple task.
The Agilent E5500 series can easily measure offset frequency from the carrier below 1 hz. Please convert it in jitter,a few fs.
The only problem is the cost of that such equipment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 02:53 PM   #2397
diyAudio Member
 
andrea_mori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Italy
Please, take a look at the attached image, green and blue trace: from battery and from a commercial regulator.
Try to guess which trace is the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: gif noise.gif (15.9 KB, 228 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 02:58 PM   #2398
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
The Agilent E5500 series can easily measure offset frequency from the carrier below 1 hz. Please convert it in jitter,a few fs.
The only problem is the cost of that such equipment.
yeah its as easy as buying the equipment....

Demian, who has much experience with such things, has already commented on the difficulty of such measurements, if you think its easy just because you have the right equipment, you are fooling yourself. did I say it couldnt be done? you should read more carefully

Last edited by qusp; 16th February 2013 at 03:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 03:01 PM   #2399
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
Please, take a look at the attached image, green and blue trace: from battery and from a commercial regulator.
Try to guess which trace is the battery.
ahh yes, that old measurement... I wonder when people will stop referring to these measures as relevant?

the late great low noise Guru Jim Williams of Linear Technologies always used and recommended batteries for verifying noise performance of regulators and voltage references and that was before more modern lower impedance cells were available. do you really suggest that he was getting performance like you link?

most of the measures for battery noise that are relevant to audio are old and/or produced by companies that sell regulators.... i'm yet to see something using technologies any more modern than SLA or perhaps NIMH (not sure if ive even seen that, cant remember)

also the noise of batteries can be very load dependent, clocks and low current class A or CCS loads arent terribly effected by this. there are advantages to both ways, regulators can get lower impedance, but then you can just add some caps or an LCR to the battery to get the noise down and improve transient response. its a power source, use it competently.

Last edited by qusp; 16th February 2013 at 03:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 03:11 PM   #2400
diyAudio Member
 
andrea_mori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Italy
of course, again "OLD"... NEW is better...
A measurement does not mean nothing, while a subjective impression is a religion.
Someone have to re-write electronic manuals.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface Lorien Digital Source 2167 25th September 2014 08:58 PM
exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface exa065 exaDevices 1357 3rd March 2014 08:51 PM
DAC chip selection + I2S jitter questions drwho9437 Digital Line Level 2 26th July 2010 12:50 PM
Simple FIFO to I2S CPLD, for MCU players / reclocking KOON3876 Digital Line Level 21 19th September 2008 04:00 PM
asynchronous reclocking and low jitter clocks ash_dac Digital Source 3 8th February 2005 09:22 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:36 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2