Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 238 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2013, 02:24 AM   #2371
diyAudio Member

I was the first subscriber for the FIFO GB and I never have a feeling of being a beta tester!!
There was no any problem on the FIFO, SPDIF and single clock board, everyone enjoy excellent SQ with the FIFO. Not a single software or hardware fault on Ian's project that required recall for service.
I would consider the dual clock board and the coming i570 is an upgrade of the FIFO. It is not something that developed due to previous design fault.
Ian, your effort is highly appreciated and supported by members, the GB list proved everything.
Old 15th February 2013, 02:59 AM   #2372
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
I was the first subscriber for the FIFO GB and I never have a feeling of being a beta tester!!
There was no any problem on the FIFO, SPDIF and single clock board, everyone enjoy excellent SQ with the FIFO. Not a single software or hardware fault on Ian's project that required recall for service.
I would consider the dual clock board and the coming i570 is an upgrade of the FIFO. It is not something that developed due to previous design fault.
Ian, your effort is highly appreciated and supported by members, the GB list proved everything.
I was also a subscriber of the first two fifo's, as much as I am enthusiasic about the project I also bought an RD30 DAc board from Rockna. Why? because all these high speed digital circuits are radio receivers, keeping all the digital, the usb, the fifo, the sis570 clock, the dac's all on one small PCB has an advantage I can't dismiss.

I like the flexibility of Ians approach, and the way that the I2S is galvanically isolated now, but it will be a few months before I can compare the two approaches with my rig. If there is a vulnarability it is common mode noise entering the I2S input of the fifo, doesn't matter how good your software is if your ground is "contaminated" the clock performance will be impacted, and if all the boards of the fifo and their connection pick up EMI from my monitor or PC or the 6 amps of tube heaters then all is for not.

I agree that the Fifo is the ultimate from a software standpoint but the all the indiviual boards, footprint, and "interconects" concern me a bit. But I am a worry wart, I am probably way off base
Old 15th February 2013, 03:00 AM   #2373
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Thanks bigpandahk, mostly I was the guinea pig . I go through both alpha and beta .

Ian

Last edited by iancanada; 15th February 2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 15th February 2013, 04:58 AM   #2374
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I was a beta tester and never had the feeling of being a beta tester....
Old 15th February 2013, 10:56 AM   #2375
diyAudio Member

Ian,

I believe everyone in this thread appreciates a lot your work, but keep in mind this is a commercial project, not a diy project.
No schematics, nothing to soldering, only a few cable to plug in, then you HAVE to expect that folks could give their opinion, not necessarily positive, on a device, I repeat, that's a commercial project. This does not mean that your work is not appreciated.
For example, I appreciate very much your work and as you know I bought 5 units, but If I have a doubt I post my doubt on this thread to share it with other folks who joined the thread, and I expect a reply to my doubt.

I asked several times to measure the jitter of the standard XO, useful to understand the source of the jitter.
I don't own a LeCroy scope, I own a poor Rigol digital scope, so I cannot do that measurement myself.
I ask this measurement because I have a doubt about the re-clocking board (and I have never seen any schematic) and then it could be useful to clarify my doubt.

Since I bought 5 units from IAN and I sent money to IAN, I expect a reply from IAN, not from any other people.

Thanks
Andrea
Old 15th February 2013, 11:29 AM   #2376
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

opinion requires experience, otherwise is bias or assumption only. not speaking of you.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:37 PM   #2377
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
Ian,

I believe everyone in this thread appreciates a lot your work, but keep in mind this is a commercial project, not a diy project.
No schematics, nothing to soldering, only a few cable to plug in, then you HAVE to expect that folks could give their opinion, not necessarily positive, on a device, I repeat, that's a commercial project. This does not mean that your work is not appreciated.
For example, I appreciate very much your work and as you know I bought 5 units, but If I have a doubt I post my doubt on this thread to share it with other folks who joined the thread, and I expect a reply to my doubt.

I asked several times to measure the jitter of the standard XO, useful to understand the source of the jitter.
I don't own a LeCroy scope, I own a poor Rigol digital scope, so I cannot do that measurement myself.
I ask this measurement because I have a doubt about the re-clocking board (and I have never seen any schematic) and then it could be useful to clarify my doubt.

Since I bought 5 units from IAN and I sent money to IAN, I expect a reply from IAN, not from any other people.

Thanks
Andrea
Hi Andrea_mori

I think I already answer you questions time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post

Another thing I have to mention is, this project is not an open source project, though I have been sharing information with community as much as I can. If there are something I didn't public, that means I reserved them for myself, at least for now. I thank you for your kind understanding.

Ian
Quote:
Maybe I don't have to post the jitter measurement result or try to prove something here, because the principle is clearly over there, everybody knows. On the other hand, I'm not a certificated testing lab, I feel a bit unfair testing on a third party product and get it compared with my own project.

Again, Iím neither from a certificated test lab, nor a testing engineer. Both my measurement setup and my equipment could be wrong. So, my testing result is just for reference. It doesnít prove anything.
Few people shares information as much as me in this community. But I just don't understand why Im still always being asked for more.

I'm quite struggling, being a nice guy or telling the truth. Sometimes I just couldn't help . It seems I should keep silence and stop telling secret. I don't want being attacked for no reason.

Thanks andrea_mori, you make me doing some consideration on if to continue this project in DIY community or switch it to real commercial product as you think so. I have been enjoying sharing diy project and joy of the progress with the community and full with thanks for so many helps I received. But it seems I could never expect satisfying everybody. I'll carry out the GBIV and daughter board as I promised. Then I have to make a decision.

I know you are interested in developing low jitter clock/re-clock project. Please send email if you want to know something from me. I'll answer you question as possible as I could to see if there is any help.

Regards,

Ian
Old 16th February 2013, 12:14 AM   #2378
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...I could never expect satisfying everybody.
That's your answer right there, Ian.

You make the vast majority of this community extremely happy. People ordering again and again can only be a good sign.
And, of course, there are a few members who (allegedly) are not satisfied by your work, info you provide etc. They could always opt out, read other threads or something. Them sticking around probably shows they're not as unhappy as they'd like us to think or - even worse - may have some vested interest in bashing your project..

Anyhow, please keep up the good work.
Old 16th February 2013, 12:50 AM   #2379
diyAudio Member

It is a pain that a lot of forums of really importance for the DIY community end up like this. It is never because of stimulating criticisisme or positive input!
I do not respect the attitude of the complainers and I hope that people like Ian have the power to continue were they are busy with.
Like sharing knowledge that brings a lot of us a litlle further in our hobbies.
I sincerely hope GB4 will not be the last thing Ian will give us.( All he did untill this moment has not anything to do with commerce btw!)
Ed

Last edited by ed linssen; 16th February 2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 16th February 2013, 01:01 AM   #2380
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

+++1. I was troubled by your post Andrea; It struck me as unfair and unappreciative - regardless of the repeated assertions otherwise. I started a post no fewer than 3 or 4 times, only to erase it, calm down and consider this situation.

Bottom line; some will never get it. This project feels very much like the a man who make something rare and valuable available for little money to those who otherwise would likely not be able to acquire or afford it. Rather than appreciate their good fortune and demonstrate their appreciation with help, gratitude and humility - demands are made and the giver goes on to regret the gift.

And make no mistake; though Ian has charged for these components - they are a gift. It's been long established that the R&D and manufacturing costs have NEVER come close to covering the expense. Further, these components are simply not available to us otherwise. If those were retail, the price would reflect all of the overhead necessary to satisfy these demands on time and resources.

Sorry for the soapbox all. Ian - I echo the encouragement of others; do not let the attitude or demands of some rob your joy in this hobby, or drown out the gratitude and appreciation most of us have for your time and effort. Your work has elevated my knowledge and enjoyment. However you decide to proceed, you'll have my support and gratitude.

Hide this!Advertise here!