Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2012, 03:27 AM   #211
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

boards arrived!! i'm having a bit of an issue here at the moment due to the weather, my workshop and bedroom literally flooded yesterday due to a blocked storm drain outside. Luckily i was home, so caught the problem before any actual water damage to any electronics, got about 5-10mm starting to come inside through the floor, but after about 30 minutes outside in the ******* rain i unblocked the drain and it all drained out again in a matter of minutes.

so no actual water damage to components, but i have to go buy a heap of desiccant to get rid of the damp before i go opening any new and conveniently sealed electronics. the boards look great though Ian, so time to start deciding what clocks i'm going to buy.

Quote:
Low 1/f corner frequency IS important.
The statement above does not disagree with my post. but i would like you to show me a regulator that is effective enough at these high frequencies to not leave all of the heavy lifting to the decoupling caps. Salas himself and those in the thread when i asked about this, brought this up WRT the BJT version. i also stated that low noise is still important and asked how the reg you linked compares to the 9uV LDOs. so where exactly do you disagree?

when i find a regulator with better noise performance over the range of interest (and particularly down in the low frequency 'jitter band') than A123 batteries i'll consider it, but i think we'll find that any advantage will be wiped out by the fact the regulator is not as local.

i'm genuinely interested though, as i said i downloaded that schema at the time and i'll be doing some experiments, i love tweaking with power supplies, but whether its academic past the level supplied remains to be seen. all good fun though!

Last edited by qusp; 25th January 2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 25th January 2012, 04:24 AM   #212
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
boards arrived!! i'm having a bit of an issue here at the moment due to the weather, my workshop and bedroom literally flooded yesterday due to a blocked storm drain outside.!
Just hope everything is OK. Good luck to you! Ian
Old 25th January 2012, 04:46 AM   #213
diyAudio Member

thanks, yeah i think it'll be ok, its just really humid in there and slightly damp floor, like really humid, i moved everything really sensitive out, but i have many thousands in parts so i'm buying a few of these to pull the moisture out and some of these to scatter around in the storage. if the large ones can protect shipping containers from 'container rain' on long voyages i think it'll be fine here.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

wow i didnt think the linked images would be that big lol
Old 25th January 2012, 05:12 AM   #214
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

If you need a dessicant quickly, get epsom salts at the local market, spead them out on a baking sheet and bake them at 250F for an hour, and you have anhydrous MagSulfate which is a great dessicant.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:34 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

thanks for the tip!! i might just do that, because we have a public holiday tomorrow for Australia day so they wont ship till friday, meaning monday before they arrive and i kinda need something quicker than that
Old 25th January 2012, 10:38 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

Rice work too, at last for mobile telephone
Old 25th January 2012, 11:55 AM   #217
diyAudio Member

with rice though, you are really supposed to submerge the phone in it, there is not enough rice in china to submerge all of my electronic parts hehe.

hey Regal, i found i had some epsom here, ive baked it, went totally opaque white, which seems logical, but when its absorbed its full of water, does it turn back to clear? just some indication of it doing its job would be cool.

sorry for the OT Ian
Old 25th January 2012, 01:31 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Air flow dry everything quickly. Just use a air fan facing what to dry. As well as the dehumidifier, it works very well for the basement. Try to get one if it is possible. Hope everything is well with you. Ian
Old 25th January 2012, 02:02 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Air flow dry everything quickly. Just use a air fan facing what to dry. As well as the dehumidifier, it works very well for the basement. Try to get one if it is possible. Hope everything is well with you. Ian
thanks, yeah thats what i'm doing, i think i'll be fine, nothing got actually wet except for the floor and bottom of the walls, came up from underneath so could have been worse, drained in a matter of seconds once i sorted the drain out; i noticed it while it was still slowly creeping across, its just a matter of trying to keep the damp air under control, problem is although its stopped at the moment, we have about another 500mm of rain forecast over the next 6 days and to make matters worse, bloody tomorrow is Australia day, so its a public holiday, so the desiccant I ordered wont get here till after the weekend and i cannot find it for bulk sale anywhere local at all.

last year at this time we had the worst flooding in living memory with 70% of the state under water and now its starting again, something is foobared with the planet
Old 26th January 2012, 01:13 AM   #220
diyAudio Member

Really interesting project guys! I hope a fifo is "fast enough" to not introduce jitter itself; i can`t find measurements of jitter on fifo`s. Anybody any clues sofar?

Count me in on a groupbuy.

Hide this!Advertise here!