Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

I saw thermal island on regulator section. Is there any particular reason for doing this? I am assuming those regulators are LP5900s?

That's a kind of upgrade-able design.

All regulators are designed as independent LDO board. Though those ultro-low noise regulators are already very good, but it's still possible to be replaced with higher grade regulator or battery one by one by just removing those LDO boards from the mc clock board. It gives more room for DIYers to improve their system. The upgrade will be very easy for this design.

Ian

Hi Ian,

May you please briefly explain what the device can and can not do with an implementation illustration ? I'm not sure to understand all the purposes of your new design.

Is it only for multiways reccording like home-theater or 5 channels DSD reccordings ?

Can it works with a soft like J-River as a source via device like a RaspBerry Pi with different FIR time delays between the ways (time alignements of the drivers between each others setuped in the soft) for a multi-amped active Stereon speaker as a MINIDSP can do ?

FIR correction proof ?

cheers,

Eldam

... But what it can do and can not do ... please (see previous question) :(

Hi Eldam,

Multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO runs much more applications than stereo FIFO. Such as (but not limited):

-Digital crossover with multi-channel DAC;
-5.1,7.1,7.2.1... Home theatre system;
-Works with multi-channel USB streamer and software base DSP;
-Multi mono block DACs (clock/data signals can be remapped)

It will cover stereo application as well.

Ian

Multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO runs .....
-Digital crossover .........

Will the multichannel FIFO allow computer controlled crossover's eg

Windows - Foobar - VST/DSP for four way cross over including time delay/phase alignment/filters - USB - multichannel FIFO - I2S to four stereo or eight mono DACs or I2S input Class D amps - four way stereo speaker drivers?

Hi Eldam,

Multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO runs much more applications than stereo FIFO. Such as (but not limited):

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's a very good news I'm forwarding to have this good stuffs on hands : I believe for myself FIR job before GOOD DAC(s) is the way to go, even for a simple non active amped stereo! I also notice you are embedding in the same board the isolation + the FIFO : It's a very good idea to have less problems with bad contacts with all the mandatory uf-l cables :up:. My question was the same than Kasap's...

Have you planned to try the last smd Christek XO ? Some says they are a little better than the massive 957 ? Have you finally sourced some 5" uf-l wires to make the whole even shorter ?

I hoppe your new clock board will have several MCLK outputt to feed several PCM board as well :) (but here it's impossible to work with less than 10" uf-l wires imo !)

cheers

Last edited:
Hi Eldam,

Ian

Hi Ian,

As i mentioned, there seems to be a serious dearth of any multi-channel USB interface or multi-channel DAC, done to the quality level of your product.

Any suggestions from you in this regards will help us pick the right set of boards for the complete setup.

Ian,
If a multichannel is going to happen this is the best news I've had in years. Most of us already have a quality dac they don't want to give up and are scratching our heads as to how to add more for say multichannel active filtering. I will watch this thread very closely now. :cool:

.... If you look at the board, seems Ian planned the vias for 3 regs in option ! But I believe as we talk about Master Clock than it should be better to solder and plan directlt the best non oscillating avaliable ! AM7151 smd Something from TI (sorry for the ref I don't remember exactly) !

I'm not tehnician and Ian's designs are reliable, but from what I read it's better to plan with the measurement the reg + caps + crystals.... remember some readings about changing caps before a simple FOX 50 mhz crystals before an ES9023, so I'm not sure all those optionals regs and vias are so much a good things for a MasterClock : If it needs, and you can do it : just do it and increase the price to avoid us to waste good designs ! I'm sure half of the scope owners here even don't know how to measure well such a thing on Masterclock !

Oh boy should I put the 10 uF Tantalum instead the 1 uF 0805 XR7 + 10 nf COG AND 1 Nf 0405 VIRGIN CAPS for ultimate no oscilation between the 957 from Christek ! Just because the regs are different between the embeded smd regsand the optionals vrtical ones ?!

Endless discussions! I just believe Ian has the knowledge and Tools to make the best immediatly ! :)

Ian please , no smd legs reg good enough to avoid the vertical reg and further solderings ? I'm sure most of us prefer that with an added cost ?!

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

I found the ref of the ldo smd reg I was talking about : http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADM7151.pdf

From this thread : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/253876-interested-adm7151-regulator.html#post3875013

Better spec, than the TS7A you was using till today; very little pin 8 smd (8 leads SOIC package) which can go directly near the crystals for the shortest path; simple 10 uF shunt cap at the output (less than the 5 x 10 uF of the TS7A reg= maybe easier & better to feed the crystals voltage)

COuld it be better for few dollars and directly embeded on the new clock board for a direct improvment ? Just asking, as you know not a high frequency ingener myself !

Last edited:
Will the multichannel FIFO allow computer controlled crossover's eg

Windows - Foobar - VST/DSP for four way cross over including time delay/phase alignment/filters - USB - multichannel FIFO - I2S to four stereo or eight mono DACs or I2S input Class D amps - four way stereo speaker drivers?

Yes, you can do it for sure. The new multi-channel FIFO will be very good at this kind of applications.

Ian

Why not directly solder the best low reg ??? Desoldering smd is not funny !

Hi Eldam,

You are right, but the problem is I don't know which is the best low noise reg, or different people may like different power supply, or there is still something better down the road.

The good thing is that with the new mc clock design, you don't need soldering anything, just replace the small low noise reg boards with any reg you want :)

Ian

Hi Ian,

As i mentioned, there seems to be a serious dearth of any multi-channel USB interface or multi-channel DAC, done to the quality level of your product.

Any suggestions from you in this regards will help us pick the right set of boards for the complete setup.

I'll try some solutions very soon, I heard new generation XMOS supports multi-channel, but I don't have any sample so far.

Regards,
Ian

Ian,
If a multichannel is going to happen this is the best news I've had in years. Most of us already have a quality dac they don't want to give up and are scratching our heads as to how to add more for say multichannel active filtering. I will watch this thread very closely now. :cool:

Most of jobs are down, my goal is Q2 of this year :)

Ian