Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

XMOS has multi-channel USB streamer solution. As well as mini-DSP.

Please let me know if there is any one works for you.

Ian

thanks Ian.

Not sure if either of them can transport 32-bit data through it. I know more than 16/24-bits are not really needed for sound quality, but the additional bits are good when using digital volume control on the ESS DAC.

Does the FIFO board also have an isolator built in?

Can it supply clock to operate the ESS DAC in sync mode. That interface might have to be short and clean i guess?

thanks Ian.

Not sure if either of them can transport 32-bit data through it. I know more than 16/24-bits are not really needed for sound quality, but the additional bits are good when using digital volume control on the ESS DAC.

Does the FIFO board also have an isolator built in?

Can it supply clock to operate the ESS DAC in sync mode. That interface might have to be short and clean i guess?

Both of them run at 64*fs, so they are capable for 32bits. But I'm not sure if the player/driver can support true 32bits I2S.

Ian FIFO can supply MCLK to run ESS 9018 at sync mode. It has a isolator bord or built in isolator (multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO).

Regards,
Ian

2.1 channel?

Hi Ian
I would like you to comment on the following thoughts:

My system:
X-mos usb streamer (6-channels)
Ian FiFo
DIY dac
Amp.
Line Array loudspeakers. (IDS 25 clone)

I use Audiolense as freq. compensating/time align/roomcorrection.

I would like to add a subwoofer to this system and use Audiolense to make the crossover.

Audiolense can compensate for large time differences between sub and main speakers so I was thinking, maybe I could get away with taking the .1 channel from USB Streamer and route it to a seperate DAC and let Audiolense correct the time difference. BUT...

What clock should I use for this .1 DAC?

If I use the USB clock would I get phase problems if the two clocks are not running at exactly the same frequency.

And if I use the FiFo clock could I run in to trouble where the data and this clock are not in sync?

You are the genius so you can probably answer these questions or point me to another route?:D

Koldby

Hi Ian
I would like you to comment on the following thoughts:

My system:
X-mos usb streamer (6-channels)
Ian FiFo
DIY dac
Amp.
Line Array loudspeakers. (IDS 25 clone)

I use Audiolense as freq. compensating/time align/roomcorrection.

I would like to add a subwoofer to this system and use Audiolense to make the crossover.

Audiolense can compensate for large time differences between sub and main speakers so I was thinking, maybe I could get away with taking the .1 channel from USB Streamer and route it to a seperate DAC and let Audiolense correct the time difference. BUT...

What clock should I use for this .1 DAC?

If I use the USB clock would I get phase problems if the two clocks are not running at exactly the same frequency.

And if I use the FiFo clock could I run in to trouble where the data and this clock are not in sync?

You are the genius so you can probably answer these questions or point me to another route?:D

Koldby

Hi Koldby,

Your project it a typical multi-channel application. Please wait for my multi-channel FIFO. It's capable for 14 I2S channels or 8 DSD channels. You can connect multiple DACs to it at same time. I believe it works for you.

Good weekend.
Ian

Multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO KIT is coming

Please see pictures for more details.
More updates will be posted soon.

Ian

Attachments

• DSC05189C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05189C1Pro.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 836
  • DSC05198C1Pro.jpg
    DSC05198C1Pro.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
Question about placement of MC FIFO in signal chain. With it being multi channel, the FIFO could be placed between a DSP and its serial output to DAC/DACs. Would this be most beneficial? Or would it be better of between a multichannel i2s source and the multichannel serial inputs to the DSP?

Another question about the MC XO. How many MCLK outputs will be available or supported? Say for example wanting the same high quality external MCLK for a DIR/ASRC, DSP, and up to four two channel DACs. Being able to have the same MCLK would be best correct. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Colin

Yes, for multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO, we can no longer use two channels clock board.

New multi-channel clock board will be introduced very soon.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks Ian for your prompt reply. I got a FIFO v6 working wonderfully with direct i2s input from Pink Faun i2s bridge and now I plan to add spdif input capability for it. Can I simply add the spdif interface board or do you recommend the new MC FIFO? Which option is more beneficial over each other?

Thanks,

Ken

Ian,

can we use your FIFO buffer to feed digital filter SM5842 connected to Burr Brown PCM63 / PCM1702 / PCM1704

@samoloke

You can,

And you can also add a re-clock flip-flops stage between SM5842 and your PCM63 / PCM1702 / PCM1704 by FIFO MCLK for better performance.

You can use stereo I2S FIFO for your application.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Would there be any advantage or disadvantage in using the new MC FIFO board for stereo PCM instead of the old stereo FIFO bard + isolator?

Also, will the new MC board automatically recognize PCM vs. DSD? Will any hardware change (e.g. connections) be required to switch from PCM to DSD and back?

Kind regards,
Alex