Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Thank you very much xaled, that's a interesting board, I'm gonna buy it for my multi-channel FIFO project.

I didn't find any software or image to download, does it need software/overlay to run?

Regards,
Ian

I knew you would like it ;)

On the 502V2S page 502V2S - Video to Surround Sound
you can see in the embedded video that the RPi with 502V2S runs OSMC Media Center. OSMC audio configuration is also shown in the video.

The latest OSMC image should work https://osmc.tv/download/

The guys at Pi 2 Design are very cooperative and would help if needed.

If there would be enough interest they also consider making a u.fl adapter board similar to your BIII adapter.

You can find some multi channel audio samples at the kodi wiki: Samples - Kodi

For the multi wire I2S there is a 502V2S HDMI to 4xI2S (7.1) raspberry board that is currently offered at discount that might be interesting for the multi channel FIFO as 4xI2S source.

502V2S - Video to Surround Sound

It would be nice to get it hooked to BIII... through multi channel FIFO ;)

This board looks grear for what I was looking for: extracting individual channels from HDMI. The only point that I see as pending is the fact that I don't know if it relies on the RPi clock which is not perfect for audio. Is this side of the design OK for high expectations audio ?

Best regards,

JMF

Last edited:
This board looks grear for what I was looking for: extracting individual channels from HDMI. The only point that I see as pending is the fact that I don't know if it relies on the RPi clock which is not perfect for audio. Is this side of the design OK for high expectations audio ?

Best regards,

JMF

It should be possible to connect the board to the upcoming multi channel FIFO. With Ian's muliti channel FIFO and XO boards the highest expectations can be met ;)

Hi Ian,

I have some questions please.

Is it possible to feed two dacs from the clock 2 for simultaning playback ?

How would you proceed to feed two devices, each having a micro USB inputt for their digital inputt from a single digital streaming source ?

The source can outputt I2S or via USB like an Amareno or a RaspBerry Pi ! It's to Stream into two XO active device : brand new MiniDSP streamer ; I wisch to feed two like that in the same time : https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out-hd

And a special one ;) : easy to hack the embeded clock according to you to add a MCLK like the Clock 2 or any other MCLK ?

I see maybe an opportunity to have cheap Active XO with USB streaming for the first time !

Maybe an USB in for two USB out with an isolator in the middle (Ti launched some new isolator chips for USB : I saw it by luck on Mouser !)

Thanks a lot to you if any ideas around that.

regards

Eldam

Hi Ian,

I have some questions please.

Is it possible to feed two dacs from the clock 2 for simultaning playback ?

How would you proceed to feed two devices, each having a micro USB inputt for their digital inputt from a single digital streaming source ?

The source can outputt I2S or via USB like an Amareno or a RaspBerry Pi ! It's to Stream into two XO active device : brand new MiniDSP streamer ; I wisch to feed two like that in the same time : https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out-hd

And a special one ;) : easy to hack the embeded clock according to you to add a MCLK like the Clock 2 or any other MCLK ?

I see maybe an opportunity to have cheap Active XO with USB streaming for the first time !

Maybe an USB in for two USB out with an isolator in the middle (Ti launched some new isolator chips for USB : I saw it by luck on Mouser !)

Thanks a lot to you if any ideas around that.

regards

Eldam

Hi Eldam,

Sorry, I didn't get your point with clear. Can you please give some more details?

Regards,
Ian

Interfacing with DIYINHK 768kHz XMOS USB card

I thought I'd try one of these and see how the new XMOS chip compares to my current Waveio. However, I cannot get a peep out of it.

This is the card:
XMOS 768kHz DXD DSD512(DSD1024) high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

Can anyone confirm the correct I2S connections please?

Currently I have:

USB card Ian's FIFO card
MCK > no connection
LRCK > WS
BCK > SCK
DATA > SD

Currently, when putting a signal through the USB card there are three LEDs on the FIFO card, Lock, Full & Empty. Lock and Empty are on but Full is off. Also, the sample rate LEDs on the clock board change appropriately...but no sound.

Many thanks for any help,
Crom

Dimensions of multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO (prototype)

I got prototype PCB weeks ago. It was tested and now it's functional.

Ian

Attachments

• McFifoDimensionFirstPrototype.png
    McFifoDimensionFirstPrototype.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 907
I thought I'd try one of these and see how the new XMOS chip compares to my current Waveio. However, I cannot get a peep out of it.

This is the card:
XMOS 768kHz DXD DSD512(DSD1024) high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

Can anyone confirm the correct I2S connections please?

Currently I have:

USB card Ian's FIFO card
MCK > no connection
LRCK > WS
BCK > SCK
DATA > SD

Currently, when putting a signal through the USB card there are three LEDs on the FIFO card, Lock, Full & Empty. Lock and Empty are on but Full is off. Also, the sample rate LEDs on the clock board change appropriately...but no sound.

Many thanks for any help,
Crom

I think he misses the connection gnd

I'll do more application test to finalize the software. If everything is good, I'll take the MC FIFO GB into consideration.

Good weekend.
Ian

Please clarify the software part. Is this designed to work with any multichannel I2S interface ? in the simplest terms I2S in -> clean I2S out?
Are you referring to software part in relation to any specific MC I2S sources?

Would this work well between MiniSHARC DSP board output and a MC DAC board?

Have a good weekend

Please clarify the software part. Is this designed to work with any multichannel I2S interface ? in the simplest terms I2S in -> clean I2S out?
Are you referring to software part in relation to any specific MC I2S sources?

Would this work well between MiniSHARC DSP board output and a MC DAC board?

Have a good weekend

Hi Jojip,

It works with any multi-channel/stereo I2S/DSD source. It will work with MiniSHARC DSP.

MC FIFO achieved by pure FPGA hardware. Software is just for control,diaplay and settings.

Regards,
Ian