Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 209 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2013, 09:20 PM   #2081
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yes no output without input, because it doesnt know what the sample rate is without an input
Old 13th January 2013, 09:25 PM   #2082
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Well - when i start to think about it, the more problem i get. I still have my PS3 and my BD-Player, where i would be stuck with the same problem - but i could probably run them analog, since i won't need best possible sound there. But with the HTPC i would want to run it through the USB (and FIFO). The thing is, right now i don't own a HTPC, but i will probably buy one in a few months. And i do plan running Ubuntu/XBMC on it. If you get to a solution i would be really happy - since this will be both for music and movies.
Old 13th January 2013, 09:40 PM   #2083
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
RollE2k, the answer to your spdif question depends what the action of Ian's XO board is when there is no i2s input. I believe there will be no output on the mclk line without an input, which is going to be a problem for you.

I am working on a solution to the htpc problem for myself at the moment too. Do you have anything other than the htpc to connect? If the htpc is the only extra device to connect then I have a solution in mind but need to learn a bit more c++ and understand the code I need to write. Do you use xbmc by any chance?
There will be MCLK, SCK and WS output at any time from FIFO if the clock board is working, no matter if you have the I2S input. The only thing is that the date line will keep 0 if you have a wrong or no I2S input . Because the FiFO MCLK and other clocks are independent from input I2S.

Ian
Old 13th January 2013, 10:03 PM   #2084
diyAudio Member

aaah right so they are just pad with blanks? I must admit to not measuring it, how does it chose frequency if it has no input, what is default?

I think I remember now you mentioning this issue of how to mark time in silence with DSD being an issue, now that makes more sense.
Old 13th January 2013, 10:10 PM   #2085
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
There will be MCLK, SCK and WS output at any time from FIFO if the clock board is working, no matter if you have the I2S input. The only thing is that the date line will keep 0 if you have a wrong or no I2S input . Because the FiFO MCLK and other clocks are independent from input I2S.

Ian
So Ian, just to confirm this, the MCLK rate is just whatever was selected last and only changes when the i2s input changes its 'group' from the 44.1kHz multiples to the 48kHz multiples. So for a non-critical spdif input in RollE2k's case he could use that as mclk and the es9012/8 spdif input will still function?
Old 13th January 2013, 10:49 PM   #2086
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
we really need to post the answers to this question and a few others in advance
I had been thinking of how to best word the FIFO-delay wiki section while doing menial metal work on the weekend, this discussion is timely and I think I can spend some time writing that section this week. I was concerned about how I word it so that it doesn't over-emphasise the issue and erroneously bring people to the conclusion that the FIFO won't be suitable for their setup.

If there are other questions for an FAQ type section that need attention let me know and I'll try to write them in the same edit of the wiki page
Old 13th January 2013, 11:23 PM   #2087
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So Ian, just to confirm this, the MCLK rate is just whatever was selected last and only changes when the i2s input changes its 'group' from the 44.1kHz multiples to the 48kHz multiples. So for a non-critical spdif input in RollE2k's case he could use that as mclk and the es9012/8 spdif input will still function?
MCLK frequency settings will keep at last setting if I2S is unlock or lost. The clock board on-board flash will memory that parameter.

Ian
Old 13th January 2013, 11:27 PM   #2088
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had been thinking of how to best word the FIFO-delay wiki section while doing menial metal work on the weekend, this discussion is timely and I think I can spend some time writing that section this week. I was concerned about how I word it so that it doesn't over-emphasise the issue and erroneously bring people to the conclusion that the FIFO won't be suitable for their setup.

If there are other questions for an FAQ type section that need attention let me know and I'll try to write them in the same edit of the wiki page
Thank you so much hochopeper, You did good job on the wiki page.

I was so busy last week. I'll try to do something once I get time.

Regards,

Ian
Old 14th January 2013, 04:10 AM   #2089
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Thank you so much hochopeper, You did good job on the wiki page.

I was so busy last week. I'll try to do something once I get time.

Regards,

Ian
slacker

Old 14th January 2013, 10:38 AM   #2090
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Just for my understanding... If i use this combination:

Input with 192kHz --> FIFO --> Si570 clock --> TDA1541A NOS

what is the SCK output freq. (BCK input)? Could i use it direct, or must i use any logic converter?

Cheers,
Oliver

Hide this!Advertise here!