Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Input comes from berry. Output is over spdif board. This is OK. I think you should take other I2S input or switch manually to other input. Do you see yellow tape?

Cheers Ernst

I understand what he is trying to do, but I still think that the ribbon cable between the FIFO and the S/PDIF board should be removed and an external power source be attached to the S/PDIF.

I've tried that input using the cmedia 6631A. Unfortunately didn't work either :-(.

It was on input one tho. I've gotten the feeling i am missing a connector or something somewhere...

The ribbon so far seems to powers the spdif board. The reason why i thi k this is fine is because the fifo cant even lock on the signal (or i cant see its getting/accepting the signal). I could power the spdif board from the PI as well, but think Ian mentioned that it can be powered from the fifo just fine.

Last edited:
I've used a multimeter to test trough and trough. First time,i've soldered the middle u.fl one wrong. But the connection of the pi-hat including cables (middle and grounds) are now all good.

I believe the empty led is that the fifo does not getting any data. I could be wrong amd focussing on the wrong problem.

When i take the power off the clock board,my dac stops locking on the signal (using coax), and that works fine. U fortu ately, it doesn't got an i2s input. Hence the reason for the s/pdif board :)

Last edited:
all Switched off, did you check the continuity between the source and the FIFO when linked with the uf-l wire but with the buzzer on the soldered hot leads (signal) of the uf-l plugs on the pcbs ! Then between the the main connector of the I2S on the FIFO (pins of white plug) and the uf-l hot lead of the I2S uf-l plug source ?

Sound like one of the uf-l was soldered at 180° ???? But if you already check that, I don't know ! I had a similar story with the PCM boards and seems it was the uf-l wires (one of them/plug) !:eek:

Hi Ian,
One final question about the new board. Would it be possible, if used in a stereo-only configuration, to be able to 'bond' or combine various channels to increase Dynamic range, accuracy of any dither calculations (I'm stretching the bounds of my knowledge here so apols for any crazy suggestions!)

The reason I ask is that in the back of my mind is the Sabre DAC chips. In stereo mode the same chip is used to L&R channels but in a mono configuration one chip enables a small increase in DNR. I wondered if the same may be possible here?

It's possible. Can you give me more details about that?

Regards,
Ian

I think I could really use some help. The FiFo doesn't seem to take any i2s signals.

- updated the RPI
- used i2s settings on both volumio 1.50 and 1.55
- used i2s Hifiberry DAC settings
- used i2s Hifiberry DAC+ settings
- used i2s Hifiberry Digi settings
- used i2s Hifiberry DAC settings on Moode
- used i2s Ian fifo settings on Moode
- I've measured my pi-hat, and all is soldered well.
- changed fifo input from 1 to 2
- Used CMedia CM6631A USB -> i2s receiver and attached following pins
CM~ GND -> Fifo GND (1)
CM~ BCK -> Fifo SCK/BCK (2)
CM~ LRCK -> Fifo WS/LR (4)
CM~ DATA -> Fifo SD/DATA (6)
- Have seen Volumio & Moode playing and not playing, but no LOCK led on fifo

I'm kinda out of options as far as I know what to do.

I've attached big image of the setup, and some screens of volumio.

Hi Gitaarwerk,

It seems FIFO didn't receive any valid I2S signal in the picture you took, so my suggestions:

1. Please use another 5-6V 500mA power supply for the FIFO II KIT. RPi some times has problem powering FIFO II.

2. Make sure FIFO KIT is still in working condition by playing any s/pdif source from an coaxial/optical cable. (you will need another 7P PH2.0 cable to spdif board in this case)

3. Make sure your RPi can output I2S signal correctly. Or, try other player's SD image.

Regards,
Ian

Last edited:
Hi Gitaarwerk,

It seems FIFO didn't receive any valid I2S signal in the picture you took, so my suggestions:

1. Please use another 5-6V 500mA power supply for the FIFO II KIT. RPi some times has problem powering FIFO II.

2. Make sure FIFO KIT is still in working condition by playing any s/pdif source from an coaxial/optical cable. (you will need another 7P PH2.0 cable to spdif board in this case)

3. Make sure your RPi can output I2S signal correctly. Or, try other player's SD image.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks for the tips! I will try it out tonight. I hope it would be something easy as the the output of the Pi :). I'l write the update when I've gotten more.

Ian, I've checked both ways. Different sufficient psu, linear and tried the spdif fifo commbination as in the manual stated.
The spdifboard got a lock, but the Fifo seemed not doing anything.

What else is there to do?

Hi Gitaarwerk,

Please no worry at all. I'm figuring the issue now. Can you let me know what's the LED status on the dual xo II?

Thanks, I'll get back to you very soon.

Ian

FIFO 2 board

What an amazing thread. Very nice work IanCanada!

After reading this thread for the past time, I think it might be the solution for me too. But as usual I am to late for the group buy. :(

So to Ian : Is there maybe a FIFO 2 board left? I only need a 44.1 KHz version, so no extra clock board needed if I'm correct.

Regards,
Ronnie

What an amazing thread. Very nice work IanCanada!

After reading this thread for the past time, I think it might be the solution for me too. But as usual I am to late for the group buy. :(

So to Ian : Is there maybe a FIFO 2 board left? I only need a 44.1 KHz version, so no extra clock board needed if I'm correct.

Regards,
Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for your interest. Yes, if you just want to stick with 44.1KHz, you can build an single XO clock by yourself to save a Dual XO II. But in this case, you have to play with the jumper for suitable default *Fs corresponding to your clock frequency. Please refer FIFO II user's manual for details.

Fortunately I still have some FIFO II in stock, please find the link below my signature if there is anything I can help.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Gitaarwerk,

Please no worry at all. I'm figuring the issue now. Can you let me know what's the LED status on the dual xo II?

Thanks, I'll get back to you very soon.

Ian

I need to actually re-check check that still, but so far I've seen there are 3 leds lit up: D10, X02, X01

The relay of my DAC (Schiit Gungnir Multibit) clicks when powering on or off the clock board connected to the S/PDIF BNC out.

FIFO is one thing. IMHO, the I2S-PCM board is the most effective and revolutionary work so far. However, it only works on some DACs.

Agreed, the PCM board with the FIFO and clocks is the most sophisticated and excellent DIY product I have come across in 40 years of DIY.
With a good R2R dac (the Aya14 is another superb product) it can compete with any product, at any price.
If you have a complete Ian set, you are a lucky person.