Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 201 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2013, 03:25 PM   #2001
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yep, I reckon thats your problem, this is with the digital filter enabled, it wouldnt seem to be able to deal with 1024xFS even with it on, with it bypassed all bets are off how its going to react, but it doesnt surprise me at all that its not liking the 45.1584/49.152MHz with 44.1/48kHz program material
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCM1794A and fifo errata.jpg (135.5 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by qusp; 10th January 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10th January 2013, 03:28 PM   #2002
diyAudio Member

and here in the first few lines....

Quote:
System Clock: 128, 192, 256, 384, 512, or 768 fS With Autodetect
someone really should have picked up on that....

try again with the faster crysteks but playing 88.2 or 96khz material, even if you have to manually upsample it on your computer somehow. what player software are you using? what computer and OS?

in plain language, the max clock speed even with the digital filter section enabled, is 768 x FS, so 768 x 44100 = 33.8688MHz or a more usual multiple that fifo actually does, 512 x FS = 22.5792MHz which is why the generic clocks are working.

Last edited by qusp; 10th January 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10th January 2013, 03:40 PM   #2003
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Sorry, If you cant make this working you are probably "up **** creak with no paddle".

Attachment 322874
Perfect picture for this configuration. A very clear demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
As we now may suggests that you might have missed something in the manual did you push the input selector button on the s/pdif board? It defaults to toslink- one push and you are on bnc.

Congrats to progress!
Did you try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed linssen View Post
Hi all!

First of all I should thank everybody for the lot of suggestions! Great forum!

After a lot of experimenting and trying things I found out that my outputs
are Working....
After changing the clocks(45.1584and 49.152) for the generic ones (22.xx and 24.xx) I get output. I tried the singleboard before as well, but that did not work out, don't now for what reason.
My problem of thinking was that I expected the same frequency of the input
device. The fact is that it outputs the frequency of the Fifoclocks. In other words, in my case with the higher F clocks it outputs double frequency.
So I could not get locks on the expected F.
Other words, when I play 44.1 material, I expect the same 44.1 on its output.
But with the double speed clocking this is not the case.
But I am glad that the Fifo is working at least.
Maybe someone has an idea if or how this could be solved.
Thanks again,
Ed
Ed,

Please going with TNT's configuration to see if everything is OK.
Or, If you want, you can send it back to me to have a check. No worry, I can fix any problem.

Ian
Old 10th January 2013, 03:50 PM   #2004
diyAudio Member

Ian, read my posts above, thats the problem i'm sure of it. I would lay money that you would get it back and it would test 100% functional, its the 1794A setup that isnt working at 1024 x FS
Old 10th January 2013, 03:59 PM   #2005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed linssen View Post
Hi all!

First of all I should thank everybody for the lot of suggestions! Great forum!

After a lot of experimenting and trying things I found out that my outputs
are Working....
After changing the clocks(45.1584and 49.152) for the generic ones (22.xx and 24.xx) I get output. I tried the singleboard before as well, but that did not work out, don't now for what reason.
My problem of thinking was that I expected the same frequency of the input
device. The fact is that it outputs the frequency of the Fifoclocks. In other words, in my case with the higher F clocks it outputs double frequency.
So I could not get locks on the expected F.
Other words, when I play 44.1 material, I expect the same 44.1 on its output.
But with the double speed clocking this is not the case.
But I am glad that the Fifo is working at least.
Maybe someone has an idea if or how this could be solved.
Thanks again,
Ed
Ed,

I think qusp found the problem. Talent again!

The max MCLK of DIT is 512Fs, That means you can't generate spdif output for 44.1KHz with 45.xxx mclk which is 1204Fs.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dix9211.pdf

I rember there was a note in the doc of dual xo clock double speed mode, please read it if it is possible.

Ian

Last edited by iancanada; 10th January 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10th January 2013, 04:12 PM   #2006
diyAudio Member

ahh yes but I found it with the dac, lol, which is apparently working.... did you say it was working Ed? it shouldnt be =) unless there is hardware upsampling at the dac input 1024 x FS should be out of range unless disabling the digital filter (by telling the dac it has an external one, but then not giving it one) allows it to run higher FS in mutant mode.

but its the same problem with the spdif output, not all that many units work at 1024 x FS all the Ti dacs seem to top out at 768, none of the AKM dacs including the AK4399 work at 1024x on 44.1, wolfston WM8741 doesnt either, perhaps the PCM1704 does? I dont know that chip. ESS is rare in that aspect so having a 1024x mode in a TX is a bit unnecessary as almost nothing accepts it

Last edited by qusp; 10th January 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10th January 2013, 04:19 PM   #2007
diyAudio Member

or maybe it 'works' on PCM1794A at 1024 x but thats the source of the clicking noise, because its unhappy
Old 10th January 2013, 06:09 PM   #2008
diyAudio Member

Default Frequency of Fifo output

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yep, I reckon thats your problem, this is with the digital filter enabled, it wouldnt seem to be able to deal with 1024xFS even with it on, with it bypassed all bets are off how its going to react, but it doesnt surprise me at all that its not liking the 45.1584/49.152MHz with 44.1/48kHz program material
Hi Qusp,

The only connections to the Dac are: DT, LR, BC, Gnd. that's all. See picture.
Agree that the DDac1794 is a somewhat special solution. But it's sound is supurb! I can compare it with my BIII.
Besides the output frequency is not influenced by the Dac in my setup. When disconnecting the Dac totally the rusults are the same. DOUBLE clock F,
DOUBLE output F!

I can play any resolution with the dac connected. Even 384! No glitches. The static I had appeared not to have it's origin in the whole setup. Although I, on first sight, thought it came from de dac-fifo-setup but it proved to come from the computer.
For recording I used audacity and Audition 3.0 on W7 sp1.

Ian,

Maybe the 570 board will solve this effect?
I do hope so.
Regards, Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1794.JPG (134.1 KB, 408 views)
Old 10th January 2013, 06:51 PM   #2009
diyAudio Member

Arrow 1794-Fifo, outputting F using double speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
or maybe it 'works' on PCM1794A at 1024 x but thats the source of the clicking noise, because its unhappy
Hi Qusp,

In the time, halfway the ninetees, when this Dac was put into the market, highres was not popular. 88 and 96 was HR, exeptionally 192. I read about a TI answer that the chip is able to run up to 1.6Mhz!
Regards,
Ed
Old 10th January 2013, 08:37 PM   #2010
diyAudio Member

Default Fifo output

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Perfect picture for this configuration. A very clear demo.

Did you try?

Ed,

Please going with TNT's configuration to see if everything is OK.
Or, If you want, you can send it back to me to have a check. No worry, I can fix any problem.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I wrote I can play any speed, 192 and maybe higher in my setup, with the 45 and 49 clocks.
I only have output on the S/pdif outs from the S/pdif board in the same frequency of the inputF when I use the generic cristals. (22, 24).
Playback through the dac is in all cases without any problem. Glorious sound!
It is only OUTputting (BNC connector on S/pdif board) a different, read higher, frequency. Qusp is talking about the Dac I use, but the Dac has no influence on this behaviour. The Dac Connected or not, the result in outputF is the same.
Wether my input is opt, Bnc or USB via WaveIO, with or without the Dac connected! I hope I make myself clear enough? Please ask.
Initially I was affraid the board has a problem. But I am rather shure that is not the case. So using your kind offer to send it back is not needed.
Regards,Ed.

Last edited by ed linssen; 10th January 2013 at 08:43 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!