Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 199 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 06:11 PM   #1981
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

think I may have your problem, you have connected power to the spdif board at J13, the fifo main board supplies power to the spdif board when they are connected, you should not be powering it from j13 as well, hopefully its OK, it would seem so as it works with input, but it may be causing some problem with the power sequencing of the output or some other error, overvoltage perhaps....

so disconnect that and try again

it may not be THE problem, but its definitely A significant problem that needs rectifying =)

J13 is only there for when using the spdif board with another project.

Quote:
- Optional DC input: J13 (do not use if interfaced with FIFO board)
Old 9th January 2013, 06:15 PM   #1982
diyAudio Member

its funny I saw it when you first posted the photos and it registered as odd, but obviously there was a faulty gate in my thought matrix
Old 9th January 2013, 08:35 PM   #1983
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
think I may have your problem, you have connected power to the spdif board at J13, the fifo main board supplies power to the spdif board when they are connected, you should not be powering it from j13 as well, hopefully its OK, it would seem so as it works with input, but it may be causing some problem with the power sequencing of the output or some other error, overvoltage perhaps....

so disconnect that and try again

it may not be THE problem, but its definitely A significant problem that needs rectifying =)

J13 is only there for when using the spdif board with another project.
Thanks Qusp,
The advise of using it was Ian's. I am affraid my reading of the howto was not precise enough.
I disconnect it later in the evening, have a dedicated 3.3V tab on Doede's Dac for the WaveIO!
Let you know,
Ed
Old 9th January 2013, 09:07 PM   #1984
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed linssen View Post
Thanks Qusp,
The advise of using it was Ian's. I am affraid my reading of the howto was not precise enough.
I disconnect it later in the evening, have a dedicated 3.3V tab on Doede's Dac for the WaveIO!
Let you know,
Ed
I did the change, could not wait!
Pity it's still not the solution....Sniff sniff.
I hope there are some more solutions in the bin. But mine was empty already.
I am getting the thought that maybe something is wrong/broken on the board.
Have to dive deeper, only don't know how,
Ed
Old 9th January 2013, 09:09 PM   #1985
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Did You run the boards disconnected from the DAC with only one power connection; USB-in 2 USB-out?

As per last picture in the s/pdif manual.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:13 PM   #1986
diyAudio Member

ah OK well maybe its not a warning, just saying its not needed, rather than saying not to use it. not looking at the board right now, perhaps there is some protections to stop it feeding back over to the fifo main board, but I dunno seems an odd recommendation from Ian, unless there is some mechanism to sense there is external voltage being supplied
Old 9th January 2013, 09:45 PM   #1987
diyAudio Member

Default no S/pdif output from S/pdif Fifo extension board

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
ah OK well maybe its not a warning, just saying its not needed, rather than saying not to use it. not looking at the board right now, perhaps there is some protections to stop it feeding back over to the fifo main board, but I dunno seems an odd recommendation from Ian, unless there is some mechanism to sense there is external voltage being supplied
Hi Qusp
I feel you assume that there is feeding of power into the board. That is not the case. It is a 5V dc output for feeding possible accesories. The strange thing is that in the manual on the board is written: "INPUT 5V DC"? But it is not. It has about 6V.DC on it.
But I am glad to have tried it.
The picture shows Ian's setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waveio.JPG (222.3 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by ed linssen; 9th January 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:50 PM   #1988
diyAudio Member

Default S/pdif, no output on Fifo/S/pdif-out board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Did You run the boards disconnected from the DAC with only one power connection; USB-in 2 USB-out?

As per last picture in the s/pdif manual.
Hi TNT,
I did not try it. It's my folowing thing to do.
Keep you informed,
Thanks, Ed
Old 9th January 2013, 09:53 PM   #1989
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Good, because I feel bad that You are separated from the experience "revelation"
Old 9th January 2013, 10:26 PM   #1990
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed linssen View Post
Hi Qusp
I feel you assume that there is feeding of power into the board. That is not the case. It is a 5V dc output for feeding possible accesories. The strange thing is that in the manual on the board is written: "INPUT 5V DC"? But it is not. It has about 6V.DC on it.
But I am glad to have tried it.
The picture shows Ian's setup.
Aha right yes I thought you were feeding it power, because it IS an input, but its only suppose to be used if you are using the spdif board with another design. when in use with the fifo the fifo sends the power across the flex cable into J10 along with some other signals and clock (actually not sure on the clock). but that conductor and power connection on that ribbon is connected to that J13 screw terminal, as its the same power rail. That is why it shouldnt be connected to an external power supply while connected to the fifo, as fifo is already supplying power to that same rail. are you with me?

so in your case you are able to use it as an output because the power from the fifo main board travels over the flex cable and then into J10, out through L1 and through J13 + terminal (where you pick it up), continues through another inductor, bypass cap, a 1000uf reservoir cap and then powers the rest of the board.

Last edited by qusp; 9th January 2013 at 10:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!