Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 197 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 09:00 PM   #1961
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Ian!

I sit here and enjoy the best sound I have ever had in my system. It improved even more after I took the leap and robbed my aTV from it's Toslink cable, exchanged the connection between the SB and your fifo. The cable change was inspired from one of your pictures of your DAC setup and it makes perfect sense with the fifo. I'm still on 44,1 and s/pdif but I have to say my system sounds lovely.

I just played Chopin, Krystian Zimerman ‎ 4 Balladen Barcarolle Fantasie (DG 00289 477 9198)...

thanks and hats off Ian!

/
Thanks TNT for your good news. Both your ears and my scope support your feelings.

Enjoy and explore more.

Ian
Old 8th January 2013, 02:55 PM   #1962
diyAudio Member

Default SPDIF board out?

Hi Ian,

About everything is working fine. What NOT for heavens sake than?
Its the Ians Fifo-Out! I get no signal whatever I try to record from its output.
I tried a lot of things that came up, but I ran out of ideas.
Te thought that has left, is maybe feeding the USB-card from
the I2S backdoor ?
I included some pictures.
Somebody can advise?
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8588.JPG (825.6 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8589.JPG (706.2 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8590.JPG (762.6 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9363.jpg (624.3 KB, 321 views)
Old 8th January 2013, 02:57 PM   #1963
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Could it be that You sat one of the band cables up.side-down? Text should be readable?
Old 8th January 2013, 03:22 PM   #1964
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
1, Connect J14 on the FIFO Board and J10 on the S/PDIF board with the 10 pin FFC/FPC cable, the connectors are double contacts, so the cable could be either faced up or faced down
aside from your problem, you really should make some attempt to use the ground on the u.fl cables, as it is (not even using the single GND he provided on the dac, just one for all the connections to share is bad enough) they are aerials.. big time. as you have them there you would almost be better off just using ribbon cables.

like that the return currents from the i2s signals are having to find some way back through either a shared power supply ground, or perhaps a ground on that ribbon cable from the dac to waveIO and back through the i2s backdoor to the fifo, across the ribbon to the fifo and another ribbon to the clock board....

also the fifo input is being reclocked again by the onboard flip-flops on the dac board?

as for the problem, it could indeed be the backdoor interfering, I havent tried this combination, i'm not using the spdif out; but that wouldnt be beyond the realms of possibility. Can you test by disconnecting the waveIO and trying to loop through with one of the spdif inputs and spdif output, without the backdoor in place?

Last edited by qusp; 8th January 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 8th January 2013, 05:23 PM   #1965
diyAudio Member

Hi Qusp,
Thanks for your sharp attention.
As for the grounding, I had the same remark from Doede, The grounding is done by each Ufl coax directly next to the signal connection.(just with the same Ufl connector) On first sight it is difficult to see, but the grounding really is okay.
I am thinking about the backdoor because of the resitor bridges I had to remove.
I love an output which makes me possible to do instant recording on my HD.
I will disconnect the WaveIO and make a loop. Let you know what happens. Unfortunately I did not try the outputs before the backdoormod! When I try recording I yust hear irregalar ticks, no sign of music signal.

And thank you TNT for your suggestion. I was shure I had the cable right but dit change it for safety sake for an other one. But no succes.
Thanks for the help so far, Ed
Old 8th January 2013, 06:13 PM   #1966
diyAudio Member

Hi Qusp,

Disconnected the WaveIO, fed toslink with a signal, looped coax in-and output.
Nada! Checked the boards for loose contacts/parts but Ian did a too good job on them.
Could not find irregularities of course.
Make myself a litlle but very aromatic Espresso! (That's about the only thing I am good at!)
Thanks for now,
Ed

Old 8th January 2013, 07:08 PM   #1967
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Ed, do the spdif card, the fifo and the clock board work s/pdif -> s/pidf with your dac disconnected?

Like the picture in the end of the s/pdif Manual? Just to maybe isolate the problem...

Sorry for my cable suggestion, it was the only obvious difference i saw comparing my setup.. but I never checked the actual cable I must admit.

/
Old 8th January 2013, 09:54 PM   #1968
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed linssen View Post
Hi Ian,

About everything is working fine. What NOT for heavens sake than?
Its the Ians Fifo-Out! I get no signal whatever I try to record from its output.
I tried a lot of things that came up, but I ran out of ideas.
Te thought that has left, is maybe feeding the USB-card from
the I2S backdoor ?
I included some pictures.
Somebody can advise?
Ed
1, If you don't use the spdif output function for now, please disconnect the MCLK and I2S output cable to the spdif board.

2, Replace the dual xo clock board with the standard single clock board and play 44.1K, to see if everything is OK.

Good luck

Ian
Old 8th January 2013, 09:56 PM   #1969
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed linssen View Post
Hi Qusp,
Thanks for your sharp attention.

I am thinking about the backdoor because of the resitor bridges I had to remove.

Ed
I had the same problem before, did you short one of the pin to ground (R24 if my memory correct)? this was the step I did not realize and caused no output.
Old 8th January 2013, 10:00 PM   #1970
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

aaah yes, you need to mask off that pin dont you if I remember right.

Hide this!Advertise here!