Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi,

I'm Tim the dev for Moode Audio Player. If one of you would like to try FIFO II with Moode, just select Hifiberry DAC from the I2S dropdown menu and reboot.

If it works, I'll add FIFO II to the menu for next release of the Player. If there are issues contact me via tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll be happy to help troubleshoot :)

I hang out over at diyAudio "pc-based" forum in the Moode thread.
PC Based - diyAudio

Regards,
moodeaudio.org
http://twitter.com/MoodeAudio
Tim Curtis

Hi Tim,

I confirmed Moode Audio Player 2.4 works for Ian FIFO I/II via RPi I2S cap PCB. You did good job, thank you!

Download from here: moodeaudio.org

Settings (http://moode):

1. Menu, Configure, i2s audio device: select Generic or HiFiBerry DAC (need REBOOT)

2. Menu, Configure, MDP, Volume control: select Disabled
(software based volume control doesn't work)

It's the first time I use Moode player. I'll do some test later and will let your know if there is any bug :).

Regards,
Ian

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I confirmed Moode Audio Player 2.4 works for Ian FIFO I/II via RPi I2S cap PCB. You did good job, thank you!

Download from here: moodeaudio.org

Settings (http://moode):

1. Menu, Configure, i2s audio device: select Generic or HiFiBerry DAC (need REBOOT)

2. Menu, Configure, MDP, Volume control: select Disabled
(software based volume control doesn't work)

It's the first time I use Moode player. I'll do some test later and will let your know if there is any bug :).

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for testing :)

Couple questions:

(1) What are symptoms you are experiencing for "Software volume not working"?
(2) What DAC is being used and does it have on-chip hardware volume controller?

Regards,
Tim

I'm trying to connect a raspberry pi2 to Ian's FIFO , using the little pcb he graciously supplied. I'm using volumio but can't get a signal lock. Can someone tell me which of the volumio i2s options to use. Generic seems to be the obvious one, as the FIFO isn't listed in the drop down menu, but can't connect using this one.
Sure would like to get this working if anyone can help, has anyone got this to work besides Ian?

Hi Supra,

You can try moode player for now. I confirmed it works.

Maybe I can try volumio later. I'll post if I have any update.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for testing :)

Couple questions:

(1) What are symptoms you are experiencing for "Software volume not working"?
(2) What DAC is being used and does it have on-chip hardware volume controller?

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

1. When I enable software volume control, one of the RPi I2S output signal (data) was logic low (no signal), other two signals SCK and LRCK were good. The symptom was no sound:D, but clock was correct.

2. Tested on my ES9018K2M DAC (hardware volume control didn't connected)

Regards,
Ian

Hi Tim,

1. When I enable software volume control, one of the RPi I2S output signal (data) was logic low (no signal), other two signals SCK and LRCK were good. The symptom was no sound:D, but clock was correct.

2. Tested on my ES9018K2M DAC (hardware volume control didn't connected)

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

On Moode System config page, do you see "Hardware volume controller not detected" under ALSA volume (%), or is there a value in the volume field?

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

FYI - There are several volume control configurations in Moode depending on whether or not DAC has onboard hardware volume controller.

(1) ONBOARD VOLUME CONTROLLER EXISTS
If DAC has onboard hardware volume controller there will be an ALSA (hardware) volume control in addition to MPD volume control. ALSA volume level is displayed on Moode System config page. In Linux this is the amixer volume % for the main hardware volume mixer.

(a) MPD volume ctl = Software: ALSA volume needs to be set to 100% (0dB), MPD controls volume using its 32 bit float w/dither algorithm

(b) MPD volume ctl = Hardware: MPD and ALSA volume ctls are internally coupled, MPD controls DAC onboard hardware volume controller. Logarithmic curve can be enabled in Moode Customize popup.

(c) MPD volume ctl = disabled: Moode knob grayed out (input disabled) and zeroed, MPD outputs 100% volume (0dB), MPD and ALSA volume are decoupled thus ALSA volume needs to be set to 100% (0dB). The "disabled" setting assumes that an external analog or digital volume control is being used.

(2) NO ONBOARD VOLUME CONTROLLER
DAC does not have hardware volume controller. ALSA volume control will not exist. Moode System config page will show "Hardware volume controller not detected" under ALSA volume (%) field.

(a) MPD volume ctl = Software: MPD controls volume using its 32 bit float w/dither algorithm

(b) MPD volume ctl = Hardware: not a valid config

(c) MPD volume ctl = disabled: Moode knob grayed out (input disabled) and zeroed, MPD outputs 100% volume (0dB). Same as 1c above wrt assuming external volume control.

Regards,
Tim

Seems Ian doesn't want to input more on Crystals choice !

I finally bought in the highest frequencies I found (40/45 K) two CVrysteq 957 as the Wave I/O has always the NDK advised above !

But I would had liked a good advise on OCXO ref and > frequencies range 90/98 K Ian talked above previously !

Not cool man !

Hi Supra,

You can try moode player for now. I confirmed it works.

Maybe I can try volumio later. I'll post if I have any update.

Regards,
Ian

Ian, Thanks for that, it worked for me and I finally got to hear non-usb , will spend the next few days listening. Moode is pretty good, best of the Linux players I have seen, and the radio option is fun.

Seems Ian doesn't want to input more on Crystals choice !

I finally bought in the highest frequencies I found (40/45 K) two CVrysteq 957 as the Wave I/O has always the NDK advised above !

But I would had liked a good advise on OCXO ref and > frequencies range 90/98 K Ian talked above previously !

Not cool man !

Eldam
I asked Ian about OCXO too, but I dont think he's being uncool, I suspect he's a cautious dude and he doesn't won't to recommend something he's not 100% comfortable with. The OCXO's are very variable with current demands and not just plug and play , they need some consideration for successful implementation. I'm waiting for the DUCULON to be released soon, maybe that will be very cool!

If I where you Eldam, I wouldn't venture into any advanced language exploration, at least not in english....

//

Was it a sincere sugestion ? Com'on....:D !

Please don't continue your childisch behavior, I'm not offofend, I just know from you it's free without subtlety, nore second degree... What I'm sure is not to meet you on a forum about english litterature ;)

Which is good as I just asked for two reference for higher speed crystals to Ian... as he said he already tried and liked it and idem with OCXO as well ! Why he doesn't answer is a mystery for me... bad and not clever enough question ?

Did you understand what I'm writting above ? Many sweedisch here whom are trying to learn the french (Surstroming forbiden because Cop21 now !) ! Maybe our good behavior, who knows ?

PS : btw, thank you for the NDK advices : the ones I found are too little, and I have it already on the Wave I/O !

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
resonators

Actually the NDKs are difficult to solder. Haven't finished it but hope to finish it soon.
Beside that, there is still a question from my side, which affordable clock should be used. For me there are Andreas and the Crysteks. Andreas, the SC-cut is higher in price an some more parts are required. Has anybody an answer, if it is worth the effort?

Thanks and regards

Ernst

Ok, so I finally dare to register myself after reading hundreds of pages about FiFo to buy two sets.

Mixed posts makes me a bit anxious about ordering how and where, but I think I just start here.

I would like to order of

2x FiFo boards
2x Dual XO boards
2x SP/Dif boards
And hopefully 2x raspberry pi caps if left.

I was reading about a Fifo isolation board, but its hard to find that back.

Also not entirely sure what to do about the crystals to replace them, but that's some more research for me later :) (I'm more of a software guy than hardware)

Basically, the multi-channel I2S/DSD FIFO KIT will have a Cyclone IV FPGA device, a 256Mb RAM, a 32-bit ARM Cortex processor and on-board isolators. To achieve even better sound quality, the new clock board will work in remote mode and can be placed very close to DAC (or be integrated as part of DAC). An optional control panel/TFT display will be designed as well. Run from iPhone of other mobile devices is also possible.
Ian
Can this be used also for active speakers with DSP filters and 3 channels stereo DACs, if DSP had 3xI2S output?