Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 190 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 03:24 PM   #1891
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

nah, I think wireless protocols will be a more likely replacement for hi end audio than HDMI. I dont see HDMI or USB3 being adopted as a new standard for our application before wifi sweeps them all away
Old 4th January 2013, 03:28 PM   #1892
diyAudio Member

To replace things into context my vision with HDMI is simply to have a integrated HIFI audio-visual system. The FIFO would be included in this chain and even for video I dont require 7.1 channels. A good 2 channels HIFI setup is ok for me.
If cash wasn't a issue I would buy a HDfury HDMI to SPDIF adapter that support Hires audio
  • Industry-standard S/PDIF output
  • Supports 2-channel 32-192kHz stereo audio
  • Supports IEC60958 2-channel PCM
For the moment I commute my sources with the internal selector on my DAC because my HDMI switch SPDIF Out don't send anything higher than 48khz. Not the end of the world by any means ;-)

Last edited by Fridrik; 4th January 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:47 PM   #1893
diyAudio Member

Just a clarification - the term 'wifi' is generally used to refer to IEEE802.11abgn etc

This is different to bluetooth, zigbee and other low power protocols in the family IEEE802.15.x

The next standards to look to I think are IEEE1609 and IEEE802.11P which will provide a faster interface again.

I just don't think any new 'wireless usb' standard will be approved that doesn't provide content encryption/protection for the media protocol, especially not with multichannel.

Last edited by hochopeper; 4th January 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:51 PM   #1894
diyAudio Member

you know what I mean, of course the protocol will continue to change, ethernet or similar would be another possibility. I do not mean wireless USB. our devices will continue to evolve towards being network nodes with embedded processors

so what will they insist people start calling the new wifi when it changes its protocol number? its part of the vernacular, its not going to be called something else.

also, I said wireless, not wifi, or are you clarifying a point you yourself made, or is it a pre-emptive clarification? lol

Last edited by qusp; 4th January 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 04:48 PM   #1895
diyAudio Member

wifi, multi-channel... I'm a bit confused.. I begin to think I'm not on the right forum
I don't understand if your goal is listening to music or watching 3D movies
There are still too many hardware issues in audio system, before moving on to software issues

So, Ian
since you are an expert in FPGA developing
since I2S is the right way, or at least the less worst
maybe, start thinking to a good SD player or a good USB-I2S interface for those who cannot live without the PC
and for the umpteenth time to a system sinchronized from the DAC

uhh.. wifi, wireless... does not change my mind

Last edited by andrea_mori; 4th January 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 04:59 PM   #1896
diyAudio Member

umm, yeah your a little confused or perhaps just a little dated if you dont understand what wireless and multichannel might have to do with music, even stereo music, primarily 2 channel music for me. not that many people here on the forums are using multichannel audio links to their dacs to play movies or multichannel audio

hint, digital crossover

wireless, wifi, ethernet whatever, wireless is more convenient and it really shouldnt make any difference

fifo is transport agnostic, why do you even care what sort of data link it comes in on? still stuck in old thinking?

if Ian would design a USB interface, (god knows why we need another one) if done properly wouldnt it just remove the need for fifo? seems a waste of resources when there are actually a few decent ones already

Last edited by qusp; 4th January 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:23 PM   #1897
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't afford a high end multichannel home thater setup, but there is something special to multi-channel audio (esxpecially Blu-Ray Concert's.)

Multi channel has been around since the 70's (QUAD) its has never gone away and always been a medium for audio-fanatics, the first stereos had three channels. So unless a guy only likes mono he shouldn't dismiss multi-channel for audio.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:25 PM   #1898
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
umm, yeah your a little confused or perhaps just a little dated if you dont understand what wireless and multichannel might have to do with music, even stereo music, primarily 2 channel music for me. not that many people here on the forums are using multichannel audio links to their dacs to play movies or multichannel audio
you are right, I'm a little dated, wireless is not useful in my music world, just a cable do easily the job

Quote:
hint, digital crossover
oh my God...

Quote:
fifo is transport agnostic, why do you even care what sort of data link it comes in on? still stuck in old thinking?
Seems you don't understand, synchronizing the source from the DAC, FIFO is no longer useful
Linn docet

But I'm dated, since I still prefer to listen to a live Staynway performance

Last edited by andrea_mori; 4th January 2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 4th January 2013, 05:35 PM   #1899
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I can't afford a high end multichannel home thater setup, but there is something special to multi-channel audio (esxpecially Blu-Ray Concert's.)

Multi channel has been around since the 70's (QUAD) its has never gone away and always been a medium for audio-fanatics, the first stereos had three channels. So unless a guy only likes mono he shouldn't dismiss multi-channel for audio.
no hope of superior quality in multi-channel, IMHO
in case, I'm looking for good news from ARDA Technologies
Old 4th January 2013, 05:58 PM   #1900
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post

Seems you don't understand, synchronizing the source from the DAC, FIFO is no longer useful
Linn docet
Do you like long antennaes (cables running at MCK) running back to the source from the DAC (I don't), the whole point of the fifo is to put the master clock in the DAC.

So it looks like this: [Transport]-spdif-[fifo-dac]. Its nothing to fear works great.

Hide this!Advertise here!