Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Yes those little board work very well.
For best quality signal between Raspberry and FIFO you can use BIII adapters too.
442388d1412702853-pulsar-clock-ultra-low-noise-ocxo-s3-raspberry-pi-i2s-lines-iancanada-fifo.jpg

(Model from Pulsar clock)

Very nice clsidxxl, what software player are you using? Which one do you think is the best so far?

Regards,
Ian

Very nice clsidxxl, what software player are you using? Which one do you think is the best so far?

Regards,
Ian

Ian,i use a Cubietruck with Volumio connected in I2S to FIFO.

Volumio is built on Debian while Rune Audio is built on ArchLinux.Rune Audio is recently release for Cubietruck,I have not had it yet the time of tested.

A new release of Volumio is being developed,a total redesign according to michelangelo.
https://volumio.org/introducing-volumio-2/

Hi,

Very interresting...

Did you attach your drive directly on the Cubietruck to use it both as server and player ?
Where do you hack the MCLK for the I2S to PCM board ?

No needs of isolator between your CT and th eI2Sto PCM boards ?

Thanks in Advance, I believe Volumio 2 could a solution for my needs :) (I was looking for a nearly plug and play distrib to swap my Synology station which buzz (I2S groundloop not solvable by an isolator :mad: )

I would like to plug it to the FIFO 2 with Clock 2 and I2StoPCM to my AYA2 2014 TDA1541 DAC board :)

Thanks in advance for the advices (sorry Ian for the off topic )

Eldam

MPD is the music player of Volumio,this one is can be remote control in many ways,command line,web interface (Volumio UI),DLNA is the one I use with JRiver.

The Cubie. is connected with a RJ45 to my Freebox server,a hard drive with my librairy is connected to the Freebox.

I control the Cubietruck since my PC with Jriver.

The isolator is located between the FIFO and the clock board.

You say '''Where do you hack the MCLK for the I2S to PCM board''''

of course the MCLK comes of the Ian's clock board.

Hi clsidxxl,

Thanks, ok I 'v got it now. I didn't understand you were using the Ian's clock board and asked myself how you could hack the MCLK from the Cubbie Board :eek: !

Good idea here to use DLNA protocol and share the Library with your Internet Box...

I will lurk at Volumio V2... I'm planning something a little diferent... hoping Volumio V2 as a server & player is able to upsample as Jriver does. hopping ArchLinux with later LMS should be able to do it in the player !

regards

Yes those little board work very well.
For best quality signal between Raspberry and FIFO you can use BIII adapters too.
442388d1412702853-pulsar-clock-ultra-low-noise-ocxo-s3-raspberry-pi-i2s-lines-iancanada-fifo.jpg

(Model from Pulsar clock)
Hi clsidxxl

That’s a good idea. It seems I need to design a dedicate Raspberry Pi I2S adapter PCB with u.fl sockets, rather than you guys use my BIII adapter:).

Ian
This sounds as a great news, Ian! That was a very quick in-the-lab prototyping and anyway it worked very well. For sure one of your stunning adapters for UFL (why not SMA too?) would be absolutely the best solution!

Hi Guys, I need your opinion here. My streaming device has I2S output pin on board but no connectors to output panel (it surely has SPDIF coax). Do you think it's better to send I2S directly to Ian's I2S-FIFO? Or, I just use RCA cable connected to SPDIF-interface-board then I2S-FIFO? Passing I2S signal from that device will cost me lots of time, since I have to implement ethernet connectors on both streaming device and my DAC (I will be using ethernet cable to transmit I2S data).

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I need your opinion here. My streaming device has I2S output pin on board but no connectors to output panel (it surely has SPDIF coax). Do you think it's better to send I2S directly to Ian's I2S-FIFO? Or, I just use RCA cable connected to SPDIF-interface-board then I2S-FIFO? Passing I2S signal from that device will cost me lots of time, since I have to implement ethernet connectors on both streaming device and my DAC (I will be using ethernet cable to transmit I2S data).

Hi canvas,

S/PDIF with coaxial cable to S/PDIF board would be fine if you are working no higher than 192KHz, otherwise I2S is better.

Regards,
Ian

RE: PCB of Raspberry Pi I2S adapter (cap) for A+,B+ and Pi2

I think I can share some of them with you guys for free.
Hi Ian. Have you considered making the eagle files for this little board available? Sounds like you are not planning to sell it, I think it would be useful to a lot of people? Maybe post it to dirtypcbs? But if you plan to sell it please ignore my suggestion!

Thanks.

Hi Ian. Have you considered making the eagle files for this little board available? Sounds like you are not planning to sell it, I think it would be useful to a lot of people? Maybe post it to dirtypcbs? But if you plan to sell it please ignore my suggestion!

Thanks.

Hi Palmito,

That's a good idea. I can share 30 or a bit more with diyAudio members. I thinks that should be enough for now. But if most of you like it and more people want it, I will consider either making more or public the gerber file.

Regards,
Ian