Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

HI Ian,

Will the XO2 boards be available euther with the crysteks or pulsar clock?

They are interchangeable? Will there be a GB on the pulsar clocks?

Thanks

Justin

Hi justbues,

Dual XO II is compatible with most 3.3V XOs, include crysteks CCHD957/950, pulsar, external XO, and many others. Yes, they are interchangeable.But you have to get them by yourself according to your preference.As Dual XO I, I'm trying to plug a pair of 45/49MHz normal XOs just for making your function verification easier, but may not be good enough for your listening or evaluation.

Ian

....And a benchmark with the Laptech XOs AndreaMori member sourced for us as well?

Not 2" length uf-l cables avaliable as well to make shorter than the 4" ones?

Hi Eldam,

I got Laptech XOs from AndreaMori, but I still can not find time to build the XO board. But I'm pretty sure it works with Dual XO II.

Regarding to shorter u.fl cables, I don't have any right now. The minimal order have to be 500pcs or more. But I'll try to get some samples for you from my cable supplier. Please let me know what is the exact length you want.

Ian

is there a simple way to remove the 4 pin vcxo from the board without overheating the vcxo or damaging the boards?

Dual XO II will be supplied in two models, one is with the two 14PIN IC sockets populated, and the other one is without socket populated( in case you want to sold smt XOs on PCB or use SMA connecting to external XO boards). In either way, it will be easy to change between different XOs.

No XO had been pre-mounted on clock board PCB, so no worry.

Ian

Hi Ian,

About the uf-l, my idea was to have shorter than the 4" you provide already... while not being a critical wisch ;) (don't mess with your supplier for so few !).

Is the length important after the reclocker ? (with a I2StoPCM board + uf-l outputs for a DAC board with uf-l plugs as well).

It was in the spirit to have a shorter foot print for the casing (btw the stacking resolves that issue !) and a short length of wires after the reclocker-Fifo for better iminuty to EMC, jitter AGAIN after the FIFO by added lengths between devices (I2StoPCM board with uf-l input/output) to the dac chip !

Is it possible all those extra length after the fifo can produce again a jitter and a disymetrie between the I2S signals?

Most of the times the PS traffos are on the same enclosure & I really have no clue if the sheilding of those tiny uf-l cable are good enough and if it's Worth to think about such détails ?????

As example : Wave I/O uf-l non isolated output : 4" uf-l wire -> your isolator (4" uf-l cables again) -> Fifo-reclocker (4" uf-l cables again) -< I2StoPCM (4"... again) then DAC (4"...) ! Interconnection.... the weak link ! (and all those different plugs and wires order with two different pcb when multiple pins... a nightmare !)

AS you see many wires and lengths... that's why I asked some post before for 2" uf-l wires (too short to be usefull ?).

At the end if after the reclocker : the addition of many 4" wires between devices don't change the quality : it's ok like that (they are not straight rigid cables).
Any idea if shorter length after the reclocker is better and hearable according to you ? I'm using slow speed (192 kHz upsampled material max ! because not sure I can't hear a difference above with tda1541 or ad1862 dac chips !)

Last edited:
New Ian I2S FIFO II (3)

Since we already have good clock board options, single clock board is no longer a necessary. It has been removed from my FIFO II design.

With the saved money on BOM, it seems I could get some room to drop the GB price a bit. Hopefully I could also have all u.fl sockets populated. I understand it could be quite struggling to assemble them by hand, if somebody wants to do it down the road.

Ian

Attachments

• DSC01934.jpg
    DSC01934.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 783
Those two extra mounting holes in the new FIFO board are great! I was thinking of making some kind of support because, to be honest, I never felt totally comfortable with how my stacked build is right now:

20150531_201908_zpsfpgdrhy0.jpg

Well, it seems like soon I will be spending more money in something that works perfectly how it is now... gotta love this hobby :D.

Many thanks for all your work Ian!