Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 175 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2012, 11:59 PM   #1741
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necplusultra View Post
Hi Ian

I tested the isolator with power on clock board at 5v.

the input voltage on fifo side is 3.3v which is good.

the voltage on the clock side is 1.7v which is not good.
so I unsoldered all the regulator circuit on the clcok side and the voltage now reads 2.3v on the L pad of the regulator circuit.

everything else is still soldered in place. just the clock regulator circuit is removed. the L pad should read 5v.

any ideas?
regards.
Measure the resistance between ground and the resistor array, it should be something higher than 300Kohm, if not, than resolder the resistor. sometime the resistance will drop after the isolator is powered for several minutes. This was my experience and I have to resolder it several before get it work. Use good quality soldering flux is very important.
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:02 AM   #1742
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
that wont work, fifo runs asynchronously, even with sync clock out, it will be running with no relation to the amanero board timing, how could it be synchronous? also the fifo needs to choose a samplerate and thus clock, based on the input. with no input it wont do anything, bad enough with the dual clock board, even worse with the Si570 which chooses among many different clock speeds
I also planning to use the OTTO to bypass the FIFO when playing DSD with the Amanero. If I am running BIII in sync mode with FIFO, Can I use the Arduino to control the clock of the i570 when playing DSD?
Old 22nd December 2012, 02:20 AM   #1743
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

youve quoted the answer
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:47 AM   #1744
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed linssen View Post
to Ian and all,

I want to share my initial impressions about using the Spidf-Fifo-Clockboard combination. Right out of the box I connected my SBTouch, which was hardly used in the past months because of unfullfilling soudquality, and it was frm the first second a relevation! It sounded like music, which it did never before.
Not connected to my BIII buffalo, but with the nice U-fl connectors and cabels into I2S inputs of Doede new 1794A Dac.
WaneIO connected to the I2S backdoor of the Spdif-board.For playing my canned CD's through XXHighEndPlayer on my PC. This was already a splendid combi but it improved. The crazy thing is, I am talking about the generic clocks that where provided with the set by Ian, just for checking purpose. I look forward to tell you more after implementation of all the proposed refinements to come. Such as better clocks, (I ordered Chrystek957). And waiting for parts to get the Isolator and the managementboard complete... And Lipo4 batt. for the clock?
I will for shure come back on this.
Happy holydays
Thanks ed linssen for your feedback. Your result is a good approve of mine testing result. S/PDIF FIFO really improves spdif sources. If you try better clocks, better power supply and cut the ground noise, you will still have some space to improve the sound quality. Yes, the xo from the kit is not that bad, based on my own testing, the rms cycle to cycle jitter was around 5ps. As compare Si570 is 2ps, CCHD957 could go even lower. But I don't have equipment testing the phase noise.

I'm looking forward to your future progress.

Thanks again for sharing the experiences, have a nice holiday too

Ian
Old 22nd December 2012, 11:28 AM   #1745
diyAudio Member

Greetings

I removed and resoldered the isolator chip. I reinstalled the regulator circuit and all appears to be working. Only issue is that the music turns into distortion but I think it is related to my 5v connection. When I wiggle it slightly, the music returns. I have 2 final questions:

1) what is the digikey part for the 5v connector on the clock board?
2) can I feed the board 5.25v directly from one of the buf3 psu?

kind regards to all that helped.
Old 22nd December 2012, 02:39 PM   #1746
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necplusultra View Post
Greetings

I removed and resoldered the isolator chip. I reinstalled the regulator circuit and all appears to be working. Only issue is that the music turns into distortion but I think it is related to my 5v connection. When I wiggle it slightly, the music returns. I have 2 final questions:

1) what is the digikey part for the 5v connector on the clock board?
2) can I feed the board 5.25v directly from one of the buf3 psu?

kind regards to all that helped.
housing 455-1165-ND
pin 455-1318-1-ND

Already included in the isolator kit of the GBIII

This connector could also be found from many used electronics like dvd player and etc.

Ian
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:38 PM   #1747
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Adrculda Send a message via Yahoo to Adrculda
What about a SMPS supply ??
I know its noisy, but with a well designed filter section should be able to get clean power from any other source than batteries.

Dont take me wrong batteries are fun but they have a limited shelf life, as most of us will want to keep this piece in our "arsenal" for a long time to come and we need a more definitive way to power this thing
Medical Grade SMPS supplies come to mind which even on digikey are quite affordable

Whats the total current draw for the works ??

If noise is an issue why not house SMPS in a billet enclosure

Last edited by Adrculda; 22nd December 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:12 PM   #1748
diyAudio Member

CUi Inc Has 2 very affordable versions, VSKM-S10-5U or VMS-20-5 supplies come to mind which even on digikey are quite affordable. Another option is to go to a slightly higher voltage into a reservoir of caps and use your own regulators...
this way audiophile grade caps and film caps can be used to decouple them from the supply side while a CRC filter will keep noise in check

Last edited by Adrculda; 22nd December 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:18 PM   #1749
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrculda View Post
What about a SMPS supply ??
I know its noisy, but with a well designed filter section should be able to get clean power from any other source than batteries.
As much as I like LiFePO4 batteries I don't see the advantage of driving a board connected to a 600mhz computer with a battery, probably a SMPS would work fine? Unless the batteries are just for the reclock past the isolators but I think even those pass a lot ofhigh frequency stuff, I mean they have to pass the clock speed right? So really what are they doing? Sorry just feel like playing devils advocate today cause we didn't get our pcm boards before Christmas
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:36 PM   #1750
diyAudio Member

2x 1000uF Elna Audio Grade caps and a 2x 1.0uF Nichicon films with a 1W 1Ohm 1% non-inductive Vishay/Dale MIL resistor can easily filter most minute garbage out!

Or if you want to go crazy...
You can do 2 caps on the input of the cap board with a film, resistor and then 4 caps on the followed by another film cap.

Last edited by Adrculda; 22nd December 2012 at 04:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!