Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 169 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 04:16 PM   #1681
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
That should be the function of a charger. Passive battery management board need to be compatible with different kind of chemicals, as well as different voltage.

Ian
yeah Ian IMO that should really be a function of the battery management board, since the charger is not connected when under load it is not there to monitor the battery charge. there are not many different voltages, the vast majority will use LiFePO4, initially I had presumed you were using a combination of latching/non-latching relays and resistors to passively set the cut off voltages, only when I went to order the parts and take a closer look at the schematic did I notice it wasnt included. without something to do this, it will be very easy to damage and in some cases risk unstable chemical reactions.

this is IMO more important than catering for inrush current in other applications

actually i'll modify that, its more important to me for my objectives, you have your prerogatives.

Last edited by qusp; 14th December 2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added non =) got rid of wrong/rude sounding phrasing
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 05:04 PM   #1682
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
on the other hand it should be an easy enough mod to add, using one of te optional connectors to tap/sense the voltage
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 09:09 PM   #1683
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yeah Ian IMO that should really be a function of the battery management board, since the charger is not connected when under load it is not there to monitor the battery charge. there are not many different voltages, the vast majority will use LiFePO4, initially I had presumed you were using a combination of latching/non-latching relays and resistors to passively set the cut off voltages, only when I went to order the parts and take a closer look at the schematic did I notice it wasnt included. without something to do this, it will be very easy to damage and in some cases risk unstable chemical reactions.

Lets first clarify the situation that you're concerned about. The battery management board in its current design assumes that the device will be turned off while the batteries are not fully discharged. What about when someone walks away without turning it off and the batteries are allowed to continue to drain for an unknown period of time.

Is that the situation that you're concerned about?


I don't see a reliable way to sense voltage and trigger the relay for shut down without active devices. An under voltage threshold set by comparator and a logic gate would be what I'd add off board but it would no longer be passive...
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 10:38 PM   #1684
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
No matter it is added off board or included in the battery management board, it is a must have function for battery operated devices.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 11:10 PM   #1685
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brisbane Northside
As an aside, could we run a dropper resistor and led, giving visual confirmation of suitable voltage, run an LDR after the led to keep the "active" devices to of the loop. Or will the noise of the led's be adding noise to the power supply, though at dc it will be a constant current? If we then monitor the LDR resistance to switch off ad charge, is this not a wimpish way to do it? Not the most accurate for sure, but a simplistic method?

Just a thought.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 11:11 PM   #1686
PET-240 is offline PET-240  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brisbane Northside
The LDR being a separate device of course but in series using the same current as the visual led.
You can probably tell I'm not an electronics genius.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 02:15 AM   #1687
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
actually i'll modify that, its more important to me for my objectives, you have your prerogatives.
I'm interested in your solution, any details?

Ian
__________________
Ian GBV - I2S to PCM converter board & FIFO KIT
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post3662743
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 02:32 AM   #1688
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by PET-240 View Post
As an aside, could we run a dropper resistor and led, giving visual confirmation of suitable voltage, run an LDR after the led to keep the "active" devices to of the loop. Or will the noise of the led's be adding noise to the power supply, though at dc it will be a constant current? If we then monitor the LDR resistance to switch off ad charge, is this not a wimpish way to do it? Not the most accurate for sure, but a simplistic method?

Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PET-240 View Post
The LDR being a separate device of course but in series using the same current as the visual led.
You can probably tell I'm not an electronics genius.....
That's good idea. An optical isolator may can do the same job as the led and ldr.

This question is connected to battery protection issue. Actually any lithium battery has a small protection board inside the battery pack. The protection board provides both over charge and over discharge protection by switching the MOSFET. However, my concern is any passive components will introduce noise ....

Ian
__________________
Ian GBV - I2S to PCM converter board & FIFO KIT
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post3662743
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 02:37 AM   #1689
diyAudio Member
 
iancanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
on the other hand it should be an easy enough mod to add, using one of te optional connectors to tap/sense the voltage
Current design already has a connector to monitor the battery, but how to make use of the monitoring result to cut off the relay without introducing
noise or short the ground is a question.

Ian
__________________
Ian GBV - I2S to PCM converter board & FIFO KIT
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post3662743
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 03:34 AM   #1690
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
it will require working with the dual clock or fifo board signals I guess if you must have it disconnected at all times during audio. but i'll need to think some more on a more automatic plan. it will likely utilize a couple transistors, so not completely passive.

most lipo batteries with protection create more of a noise issue that any protection circuitry we might design, my A123 have nothing, any OEM bought cells usually wont either. A123 wont explode or catch fire when fully depleted, they just can get damaged, but some lipo may have pretty serious issues

Last edited by qusp; 15th December 2012 at 03:38 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface Lorien Digital Source 2144 Yesterday 11:04 PM
exaU2I - Multi-Channel Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface exa065 exaDevices 1357 3rd March 2014 08:51 PM
DAC chip selection + I2S jitter questions drwho9437 Digital Line Level 2 26th July 2010 12:50 PM
Simple FIFO to I2S CPLD, for MCU players / reclocking KOON3876 Digital Line Level 21 19th September 2008 04:00 PM
asynchronous reclocking and low jitter clocks ash_dac Digital Source 3 8th February 2005 09:22 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2