Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 159 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2012, 02:18 AM   #1581
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Hi, Ian and qusp! Did you guys call me?

As for MCLK timing, wktk_smile once posted in the "ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)" thread as shown below;

Bunpei followed his post with this;

In the blog page by Mr. Kakuta of AIT Lab, a garage audio dac vendor in Japan, reported a result of his tuning efforts of the timing of synchronous MCLK for ES9018 showing spectra he obtained.

A.[Top] No tuning < 8.8kHz(?) single sine wave input (It is the worst case spectrum)>

B.[Middle] No tuning < 6kHz = 192kHz/32kHz single sine wave input >

C.[Bottom] Tuned. No spurious peaks.

Click the image to open in full size.

He said nothing about his measurement devices nor sampling frequencies.
I have no idea on what his spectra mean. However, wktk_smile's post reminded me of Kakuta's report.

Is this information helpful enough?

Bunpei

--------------------------------------
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend
--------------------------------------
Hi Bunpei,

Thank you for the info you posted.

Do you mean "No tuning" = normal MCLK and "turned" = inverted MCLK ?

I'll try the inverted MCLK at 90.xxx and 98.xxx MHz on ESS9018 DAC to see what's the difference between normal MCLK.

Regards,

Ian

Last edited by iancanada; 29th November 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 29th November 2012, 01:31 PM   #1582
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Do you mean "No tuning" = normal MCLK and "turned" = inverted MCLK ?
Mr. Kakuta showed nothing in detail. He just described it as;
"Tuning of timing on a nano-second order"
Old 30th November 2012, 11:32 AM   #1583
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian,

My plan connect Amanero USB to SPDIF board via I2S input and the CD Transport to SPDIF board via SPDIF input.

I know SPDIF board is switching between I2S and SPDIF is by manual, but the manual is not connect the signal to Amanero or Coxial input ?.

Regards,

Van Duy

Last edited by nvduybom; 30th November 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:30 PM   #1584
diyAudio Member

See in IncludAdditionalI2Spdf manual.
Old 1st December 2012, 02:01 AM   #1585
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvduybom View Post
Hi Ian,

My plan connect Amanero USB to SPDIF board via I2S input and the CD Transport to SPDIF board via SPDIF input.

I know SPDIF board is switching between I2S and SPDIF is by manual, but the manual is not connect the signal to Amanero or Coxial input ?.

Regards,

Van Duy
I don't suggest connecting audio system to USB based I2S source directly. You need isolating the PC ground. An I2S signal isolator would be highly recommended.

Ian
Old 1st December 2012, 02:50 AM   #1586
grufti is offline grufti  United States
diyAudio Member

Does one of your boards fit the bill?

And, please: I am not criticizing Ian for advertizing his own designs. I am simply uncertain whether one of his designs can be considered a "general purpose I2S signal isolator". If the answer is yes, I would also like to know the maximum signal bandwidth of the design and/or the maximum sample rate that is supported.

Quote:
I don't suggest connecting audio system to USB based I2S source directly. You need isolating the PC ground. An I2S signal isolator would be highly recommended.

Ian
Old 1st December 2012, 05:56 AM   #1587
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Ian
"I2S signal isolator" mean FIFO isolator board V1.5 MINI KIT and I can use it in this case ?.

Last edited by nvduybom; 1st December 2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 1st December 2012, 08:23 AM   #1588
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grufti View Post
... I am simply uncertain whether one of his designs can be considered a "general purpose I2S signal isolator". ...
What about using the optical connection rather than "noisy" USB? Once you have bitperfect toslink connection then Ian's FIFO board + clock board will ensure perfect I2S output without connection to the PC ground. Any decent motherboard has an optical SPDIF output.

I think that optical isolation is the best choice from other options like: SPDIF transformers, USB isolation chips, I2S isolation chips, optocouplers or some wireless solution (that brings some noise again). You can even decide how far away your audio can be from the PC source - optical cables are available in various lengths.

Daniel
Old 1st December 2012, 12:48 PM   #1589
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popolvár View Post
What about using the optical connection rather than "noisy" USB? Once you have bitperfect toslink connection then Ian's FIFO board + clock board will ensure perfect I2S output without connection to the PC ground. Any decent motherboard has an optical SPDIF output.

I think that optical isolation is the best choice from other options like: SPDIF transformers, USB isolation chips, I2S isolation chips, optocouplers or some wireless solution (that brings some noise again). You can even decide how far away your audio can be from the PC source - optical cables are available in various lengths.

Daniel
Thanks Denie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvduybom View Post
"I2S signal isolator" mean FIFO isolator board V1.5 MINI KIT and I can use it in this case ?.
There are a quite a few I2S isolation solutions you can use, but the best solution is the native isolator comes with the usb sound card. Unfortunately I don't have a universal I2S isolator. However on the isolator kit, a reserved isolator footprint placed on PCB which you can make use of. You can use one of the isolaator chip from the options as the I2S isolator. But you have to figure out what to do by yourself.

Good luck.

Ian
Old 1st December 2012, 03:17 PM   #1590
diyAudio Member

Quote:

There are a quite a few I2S isolation solutions you can use, but the best solution is the native isolator comes with the usb sound card. Unfortunately I don't have a universal I2S isolator. However on the isolator kit, a reserved isolator footprint placed on PCB which you can make use of. You can use one of the isolaator chip from the options as the I2S isolator. But you have to figure out what to do by yourself.

Good luck.

Ian
Thanks Ian , I will try more information for the best solution.

Hide this!Advertise here!