Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 09:48 PM   #1491
diyAudio Member

Si570 interest list:

1. bigpandahk
2. tagheuer
3. hochopeper
4. qusp (of course)
5. AR2 - definitely!
6. wktk_smile
7. hirez69
8. CeeVee - you bet!
9. number9
10. analog_sa - GB maniac
11. edbk
12. atom6422
13. misterrogers - Of Course!
14. NicMac - as usual!
15. Zoran 16. PET-240
17. Coolhead
18. Slartibartfasst
19. SYklab
20. Regland
21. Neb001
22. SPWONG
23. Greg Stewart (also of course!)
24. Vitalica
25. spm
26. Fridrik
27. ccliu
28. makumba1966
29. lindamar
30. Finaxe
31. Odysseas
32. palmito
33. crazikid
Old 15th November 2012, 12:59 AM   #1492
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Ian,
Thank you, but I really do not deserve much credit. As I mentioned before, you guys who are thinkers, who make these great products and share the knowledge, that some of us use, are the ones responsible that dummies such as myself had a chance to play with outstanding gears. I just collected info, and in that process met such an amazing people, like my friend Might Zen Mod, or Alex RAAL, or Nelson Pass, who really help me learn and understand. For me, just that fact is richness of life I truly enjoy. If it is not for the DIYAudio, I would be short of such a great source of fun. For the very reason, in order to give something back to this awesome community, I came with idea and started Burning Amp Festival, since being electronic dummy I am not capable of contributing with some design that anyone can use.
But I like being electronic dummy, since my goal is not anything more than to enjoy it and make some gear that will play great music. Now, I maybe took too seriously that word "make", because I love that part too much.
As for my background, you and I are like P and N type, hehehe. You make electronics and it seems like you have passion for photography. I am the opposite, I use to make life through photography, and I have passion for electronic. I am not shooting professionally any more, since I started businesses tied to photography and advertising. Here on my web site you could find some articles written, my favorite is from Apple, although it is dated.

Burning Amp

than go to photography, and about.

My construction story, funny enough really started because I wanted to make a very simple system with tube amps and sensitive speakers. I came across French PHL speakers, but soon I realized I need full highs and stronger bass. I love ribbons a lot and I came with this system shown in this thread.
Finally, my new LAMBDA-PHL-Esg3 speakers are done. Check them out.

While I was making those, I learned wood working and came to realization that I love that process so much. Also, now that my system is not that simple, I needed active crossover. That is how I came to Behringer DCX2496. That one sounded really bad without mods, so...

Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

and than several posts bellow that one. After suffering with wires and making connections in the case, on the board... I needed better output circuitry, so with help of might Zen Mod and Cviller jFet buffer board came to life

Babelfishing by Mighty AR2

Now I had sensitive top and mid, and very insensitive bass. That needed better Amp...
Aleph J-X Amp Project

Aleph J-X Amp Project

Than I just had it nicely going than Alex RAAl decided to give me top portion of his Eternity speakers. Than Choky came with J2 designs, and I fall for them - for a very strong reasons...

Babelfishing by Mighty AR2

After that shoot, I splited J2 in two cases.

The rest of the story with DACs you know...

While doing all these, I needed tools.... So I came up with another obsession. I started learning machining, powder coating...
Here is my shop and lab... Lab has changed much since the shot was taken. I needed metal tools as well for my studio in order to make various grip equipment when needed, so I started learning machining, and that is how I am able to do all projects that really do need metal tools. Without that it would be much harder for me to do all the stuff I have been indulging myself with.
AR2,

My god, you are really a genius!

I was more than happy showing up your pictures to my wife, because it approved finally to her that there still some guys in the world even more crazy than me. I suggest you writing a book named ‘Audiophiles’, hot sale will be guaranteed.

Photography is my second hobby, but now it only limited to taking FIFO pictures.

Look at my lab in my basement. Just hope I had a machine shop, so that I can make cases by myself as you did.

My jaw was dropped too.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IanLab.JPG (581.8 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by iancanada; 15th November 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 15th November 2012, 01:08 AM   #1493
diyAudio Member

ar2:

I need to pick up my jaw from the floor!
Old 15th November 2012, 01:20 AM   #1494
diyAudio Member

Don't let qusp see that Canon lens cover Ian! I too enjoy photography though qusp does not agree with my chosen brand of camera
Old 15th November 2012, 01:31 AM   #1495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Don't let qusp see that Canon lens cover Ian! I too enjoy photography though qusp does not agree with my chosen brand of camera
That's why he is a better photographer than me .

Ian
Old 15th November 2012, 03:38 AM   #1496
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Photography is my second hobby, but now it only limited to taking FIFO pictures.

Look at my lab in my basement. Just hope I had a machine shop, so that I can make cases by myself as you did
Ian
Ian, your shoots are really good. They are well lit, and I like your background selection - glass. Keep doing it, you are doing it well.
Thank you for sharing with us picture of your lab. We all like to peek. I have to say, it is just amazing what is coming out from you lab!
In my mind everyone should have a soldering iron and milling machine. There are really small ones that are perfect for a lot what we do. With your knowledge, you could easily convert it into small CNC, and than you could do miracles. Lately I have fun with Dremel tool, it is just amazing how much you could do with it.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:42 AM   #1497
Master Burner

Quote:
Canon is good choice. For many years it was much better than Nikon, who only of late became competitor in that arena. My new discovery is Sony -NEX 7 for everyday fun. 64 Mb file and with that clean file with no ugly noise out of a small toy! Waiting on Qusp, hahaha.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:50 AM   #1498
diyAudio Member

My opinion is that glass, lighting and the photographer will always make a bigger impact than the camera ...

I take mostly motorsport photos so cropped sensor Canon body and 70-200 f/4L is my go-to setup.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #1499
Master Burner

Quote:
My opinion is that glass, lighting and the photographer will always make a bigger impact than the camera ...

I take mostly motorsport photos so cropped sensor Canon body and 70-200 f/4L is my go-to setup.
That is mostly correct, but until recently some of the smaller cameras were pretty much useless in lower light situation, like Panasonic. Very ugly noise and fringing. Good Leitz lens and horrible chip. Cool feature about this new small Sony NEX 7 is that through adapters you could put any lens. Files are mint. Obviously I am not comparing it to some of my bigger cameras.
Old 15th November 2012, 06:53 AM   #1500
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nikor = win

it may not be the same anymore, but the problem I had with the canon SLRs was that they were forever changing their autofocus and metering technology/system, so great lenses were rendered obsolete with a new camera, you had to make hacksaw modifications to the bayonette to even make them fit. I dont like this underhanded strategy so it put me off

besides Nikon are the more rugged build quality ;P

Last edited by qusp; 15th November 2012 at 06:56 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!