Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hi guys,

I've accidentally burned my dual xo board. Ive connected the battery polarity the wrong way and i saw smoke coming out under one of the clock.

Did i just burned the dual xo board or some of the other boards got affected too. My setup is with fifo board, isolator board, dual xo board, and spdif board. They are being powered by a 6v battery for xo and a 6v battery for fifo.. Pls help..

Hopefully ill just need a dual xo board..

why dont you test with the single XO board that comes with the fifo and see? we cant predict whats happened, if you had the isolator wired up correctly then fifo should be OK.

yes, this is why connecting high powered batteries directly to fifo without any kind of safety measures is always a bad idea, polymer batteries can supply enough current to vaporise just about anything connected to them if short circuited

Hi guys,

I've accidentally burned my dual xo board. Ive connected the battery polarity the wrong way and i saw smoke coming out under one of the clock.

Did i just burned the dual xo board or some of the other boards got affected too. My setup is with fifo board, isolator board, dual xo board, and spdif board. They are being powered by a 6v battery for xo and a 6v battery for fifo.. Pls help..

Hopefully ill just need a dual xo board..

Hi tubo,

FIFO has polarity protection circuit and PTC but the dual xo. In your case, both of the dual xo and the isolator board may got damaged. If your are lucky, then just the LDOs, or may also the drivers and MCU. I'm sure your FIFO is safe if there was an isolator.

Don't be worry, if you don't mind the shipping and possible parts, sent the dual xo and the isolator back to me, I can fix them like new for you.

Ian

Hi tubo,

FIFO has polarity protection circuit and PTC but the dual xo. In your case, both of the dual xo and the isolator board may got damaged. If your are lucky, then just the LDOs, or may also the drivers and MCU. I'm sure your FIFO is safe if there was an isolator.

Don't be worry, if you don't mind the shipping and possible parts, sent the dual xo and the isolator back to me, I can fix them like new for you.

Ian

Ian, I would get him to send the fifo back too, just in case there was an error wit the isolator hookup ie, not removing the ferrite

I did several tests with different capacitors.
The most spectacular was this version:
C10 - 3x0.15 Wima (Black)
C11-47/6.3VBG NX
C9 - 33/16V BG (N)
C12 - 47/6.3VBG NX
A very, very natural sound.

Attachments

• DSCN1850.JPG
    DSCN1850.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 781
I did several tests with different capacitors.
The most spectacular was this version:
C10 - 3x0.15 Wima (Black)
C11-47/6.3VBG NX
C9 - 33/16V BG (N)
C12 - 47/6.3VBG NX
A very, very natural sound.

Hi vitalica,

Your modding reg looks great. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. If I have the black gate I will confirm your result. Maybe a friend of mine can send a couple to me for test.

Did you try any other configuration? How this configuration compares with them?

Have a nice weekend.

Ian

Hi Ian

I installed the FIFO (GBIII) with the S/PDIF board in my cd player. The I2S comes directly from the SAA 7327 servo. I feed a seperate DAC via the coax output of the S/PDIF board. The bass is more detailed, the soundstge is not as deep and bright as is was witout the FIFO, the vibrato of some very high tones is lost. But the most striking thing is that the volume is very low. Do you have an idea on what to do? How can the volume be increased?

Josoeff

Attachments

• IANs FIFO in Player.JPG
    IANs FIFO in Player.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 700
Hi vitalica,

Your modding reg looks great. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. If I have the black gate I will confirm your result. Maybe a friend of mine can send a couple to me for test.

Did you try any other configuration? How this configuration compares with them?

Have a nice weekend.

Ian

I did these tests.
I changed the beginning only C10:
Wima 0.47
Wima Black 0.15
Wima Black 3 x 0.15
Black Wima 0.15 +0.1MKP 1837
ФТ-1 (teflon) 2x 0.01
K74-9 (oil) 0.47
Of all sounded best ФТ-1 (teflon) 2x 0.01
But when I put Wima Black 3 x 0.15 + BG NX 47/6.3 I had the feeling that disappeared a curtain in front of the speakers. It is very detailed and very much air. And very - very naturally, not flashy .
Pleased with the result, I mounted C9 10/50 BG (N) and exit 47/6.3v BG NX.
It was hard to figure out if it was better. But I left it .
This is only my opinion and my system sounded best this combination of capacitors:)

Hi Ian

I installed the FIFO (GBIII) with the S/PDIF board in my cd player. The I2S comes directly from the SAA 7327 servo. I feed a seperate DAC via the coax output of the S/PDIF board. The bass is more detailed, the soundstge is not as deep and bright as is was witout the FIFO, the vibrato of some very high tones is lost. But the most striking thing is that the volume is very low. Do you have an idea on what to do? How can the volume be increased?

Josoeff

Hi Joseff,

FIFO is a bit-perfect system, if you have something changed on volume, it should be a system problem. I suggest you checking the signals from DSP to see if it is standard I2S.

To address this issue, you can try FIFO in SPDIF in, SPDIF out mode (SPDIF FIFO configuration), if the volume keeps as same as input without low volume problem on your DAC, that means the problem is the signals from DSP.

Another thing I want to mention is that, FIFO improves sound quality by better clock. I don't know what XO you are using right now. FIFO will be meaningless if you don't have a really nice low jitter clock and good power supply for it.

Please let me know your result.

Regrds,

Ian

Thanks Egberttheone. I'm a R&D engineer. My job focuses on medical electronics. But I’m an audiophile also. In the past couple decades of years, I did quite a few audio projects, include tube/solid amplifiers, CD transports, antique/full range speakers, DACs, PC HIFI and something else. Now, what I’m interested in the most is the digital audio. I always believe we should get the better sound if we could do something perfect. Talking about commercial operating, I don’t have much idea right now. It quite depends. It depends on what the performance it could achieve and what kind of application it can do. The most important thing is how many people need it. So I think at current stage, I have to focus on the project and try to get more improvement. Have a nice weekend. Ian.

Hi Ian,
Very-very nice pcb & soldering, how to soldered it so natty, did you soldering by hand?

Thankyou.