Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 130 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2012, 12:27 PM   #1291
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Take heart mate, you'll get it. Everything's over our head until it isn't any more.
Old 21st October 2012, 12:52 PM   #1292
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
The displays showed the current load not limit set. After confirmed no short on the isolator, I put it back to the circuit. Found that no signal at two outputs that provide clock to FIFO. That may explain why SPDIF not function. Replace the IL260 with i8650, SPDIF function again. But I2S still have problem. Replace the second IL260 with i8650. SPDIF not working again

To avoid making further mistake, I should take a rest and plan the step for trouble shooting. May be my skill is too poor for DIY
Did you confirm no any short of disconnection. Since you have the schematic, doing this job would be easy. Than I suggest doing the high-low test to each channel by jumping the input to GND or vdd to confirm they all working.

I don't thinks 80mA on each side is correct, will check up it on my IL260 board.

--------------
Just conform my IL260E isolator board consumes only 5.2mA on FIFO side (6V input, without signal connected), so please test the current again after remove all isolator and confirm you LDO is working correctly.

Ian

Last edited by iancanada; 21st October 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 21st October 2012, 01:18 PM   #1293
diyAudio Member

Thanks MisterRogers and Ian

Ian, After I removed the IL260, I checked all pins and components and confirmed no short before putting the 8650 on.

Thanks for both of you's support. I will do my best to fix it.
Old 21st October 2012, 01:46 PM   #1294
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Did you confirm no any short of disconnection. Since you have the schematic, doing this job would be easy. Than I suggest doing the high-low test to each channel by jumping the input to GND or vdd to confirm they all working.

I don't thinks 80mA on each side is correct, will check up it on my IL260 board.

--------------
Just conform my IL260E isolator board consumes only 5.2mA on FIFO side (6V input, without signal connected), so please test the current again after remove all isolator and confirm you LDO is working correctly.

Ian
yep thats more what I was predicting based on the datasheet, seems like something is causing short circuit on both sides for both fifo and clock side to be drawing the same 80ma.... strange, but it could be the resistor network on both sides perhaps?
Old 21st October 2012, 02:17 PM   #1295
cracra is offline cracra  France
diyAudio Member

Bigpandahk, I would suggest that you check your 4 resistors network wich soldering could shorten to ground Input and /or Output Signals.

Only the following resistors of the network are connected to Gnd :
R1 : 2nd and 4 th resistors
R2 : 2nd resistor
R3 : 1st and 3rd resistors
R4 : 2nd and 4th resistors

First resistor of every network is the one that is the nearest to the inscription "digital isolator board"

If you find with your multimeter any grounded resistor which is not listed hereabove it means that there are some soldering shortning on the resistor networks
Old 21st October 2012, 03:16 PM   #1296
diyAudio Member

Yes, the main problem is related to the resistor arrays. I remove all 4 arrays and check the current again. both sides reduced to less than 5mA. I replaced all 4 arrays and everything seems fine. The resistance to ground raised above 500K. But when I connected it to the clock and FIFO for couple of minutes, the resistance dropped to less than 100K again.
I may need to find a better way to solder the arrays. But anyway there is progress.

Thank you for ALL of YOU.
Old 21st October 2012, 03:40 PM   #1297
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Yes, the main problem is related to the resistor arrays. I remove all 4 arrays and check the current again. both sides reduced to less than 5mA. I replaced all 4 arrays and everything seems fine. The resistance to ground raised above 500K. But when I connected it to the clock and FIFO for couple of minutes, the resistance dropped to less than 100K again.
I may need to find a better way to solder the arrays. But anyway there is progress.

Thank you for ALL of YOU.
Since i am pretty sure soldering the resistor packs is beyond my skills, I was thinking of using discrete resistors (e.g. 1/8 watt) and solder them to the pads of the isolator. There are only 5 total per isolator
Old 21st October 2012, 05:26 PM   #1298
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
Perfect! certainly a level of contact/influence I cant emulate; lucky you man, wish I could be there....

do you have a novelty food-stuff preparation implement you bring with you also?
No I do not have anything for this year. As for the food stuff, ZenMod is not coming this year, so they will miss his skills, hahaha. As for the electronics, I typically get some standard stuff that everyone can use like tube preamp, CD player, amp... in addition to power cords, blankets, posters, and similar. This year is my first year that I am not involved in organizing it, I pretty much left it to Marc, who is doing really great job on his own. After I closed my studio and started working for company I am with right now, there is really not much time left for hobby.
Old 21st October 2012, 05:26 PM   #1299
diyAudio Member

Default Another....

Si570 interest list:

1. bigpandahk
2. tagheuer
3. hochopeper
4. qusp (of course)
5. AR2 - definitely!
6. wktk_smile
7. hirez69
8. CeeVee - you bet!
9. number9
10. analog_sa - GB maniac
11. edbk
12. atom6422
13. misterrogers - Of Course!
14. NicMac - as usual!
15. Zoran
16. PET-240
17. Coolhead
18. Slartibartfasst
19. SYklab
20. Regland
21. Neb001
22. SPWONG
23. Greg Stewart (also of course!)

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 21st October 2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: remove quoting
Old 21st October 2012, 05:35 PM   #1300
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Since i am pretty sure soldering the resistor packs is beyond my skills, I was thinking of using discrete resistors (e.g. 1/8 watt) and solder them to the pads of the isolator. There are only 5 total per isolator
Guys, I have not seen the position and size of those resistor arrays, but what you might find helpful is if you cannot solder the regular way, what sometimes works is to apply solder paste to the pads (very thin layer) and than heat up with hot air, while you are holding resistor pressed from above. If you do not have SMD workstation, you could use heat gun, if it is the one with temperature adjustment. Obviously SMD station will be better, but if you do not have it, heat gun will do the job. You have to be careful not to apply too much of the paste, so the trick is to apply paste and takeaway with cotton swab. What is left is quite enough.

Hide this!Advertise here!