Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 129 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2012, 03:36 PM   #1281
diyAudio Member

Here is the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0742.jpg (521.1 KB, 396 views)
Old 20th October 2012, 03:44 PM   #1282
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Found some from eBay(just found, not for recommendation):

SMD SMT Soldering Rework Station 2in1 Hot Air Gun Iron Welder Tip ESD PLCC BGA | eBay

New 2 in1 SMD SMT Soldering Rework Station Welder Hot Air Iron 852D 220V | eBay

Soldering wires, solder paste and flux are also importatn.

Ian
I am contemplating this one: Kerry D. Wong Blog Archive X-TRONIC 4040 Hot Air Rework/Soldering Station – I

Seems a bestseller on ebay (I suppose you need the 220V version?)
Old 20th October 2012, 03:52 PM   #1283
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

drool
Old 20th October 2012, 05:33 PM   #1284
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Here is the picture.
Looks good from picture. You need confirm no any short by a multimeter.

Make sure FFC cable on it's correct contact side, the two 10P sockets you bought from Digikey are single side contact. I use double side on dual clock board to avoid this kind of issue.

Another thing I'd remind again is, powering the clock board prior to the FIFO, if you don't have the battery management.

Good luck.

Ian
Old 20th October 2012, 06:15 PM   #1285
diyAudio Member

did you by chance have both the spdif and clock boards connected to the same arduino? half asleep now, off to bed, that would probably just circumvent the isolation, rather than anything dangerous... boards look OK from a glance

obviously something wasnt right though....

Last edited by qusp; 20th October 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 20th October 2012, 11:33 PM   #1286
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Hi glt,

I use Potato logic FFs on the 570 clock board. The Tpd=2ns. So, all of the I2S signals will be delayed 2ns after raising edge of MCLK. If feed reversed MCLK into ESS9018, take 98.xxx Mhz, the I2S delay will be 5.1+2=7.2ns, that's the only difference. Using slower HC FFs will get the same thing.

Is there any details about reversing 9018 MCLK?

Nice weekend.

Ian
According to this app note: http://esstech.com/PDF/Application_N...PCB_Layout.pdf on page 5:

"If operating with a synchronous MCLK, it is recommended to use an inverted MCLK. The inverted synchronous MCLK ensures that the Sabre noise is as low as possible."
Old 21st October 2012, 01:09 AM   #1287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
According to this app note: http://esstech.com/PDF/Application_N...PCB_Layout.pdf on page 5:

"If operating with a synchronous MCLK, it is recommended to use an inverted MCLK. The inverted synchronous MCLK ensures that the Sabre noise is as low as possible."
Thanks glt, that's an interesting story. For an sync I2S input, that means it potimized to signals synchronized with the falling edge of the MCLK.

Unfortunately the CMOS version of Si570 doesn't have a inverted output. However it could still be achieved by replace the potato 74G74 with 74AC74 to get same amount of timing relationship for the 98.xxx and 95.xxx MCLK. Will give a try to see if there is any audible difference.

Ian

Last edited by iancanada; 21st October 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 21st October 2012, 03:38 AM   #1288
diyAudio Member

Power the isolator board by bench PSU and both sides draw 80mA at 5.5V and seems fine. Will check the signal path later.
Think about the incident last night, the L11 burnt when I was fixing the bad contact problem with the battery. The LED on the clock board flash couple of times and fire started on L11. May be the transient overloaded the L11.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1504.jpg (679.6 KB, 331 views)
Old 21st October 2012, 05:01 AM   #1289
diyAudio Member

wow those regs arent as efficient as I thought, the isolator itself should only be drawing about 10ma a side maximum, especially with the inputs and outputs unloaded. or you mean thats where you have the current limit set? if there is now no problem with the iso board, its very doubtful just a transient did that as there simply isnt that much current draw or capacitance/inrush under normal operating conditions, you must have shorted or reversed the battery somehow.

Last edited by qusp; 21st October 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 21st October 2012, 08:22 AM   #1290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
wow those regs arent as efficient as I thought, the isolator itself should only be drawing about 10ma a side maximum, especially with the inputs and outputs unloaded. or you mean thats where you have the current limit set? if there is now no problem with the iso board, its very doubtful just a transient did that as there simply isnt that much current draw or capacitance/inrush under normal operating conditions, you must have shorted or reversed the battery somehow.
The displays showed the current load not limit set. After confirmed no short on the isolator, I put it back to the circuit. Found that no signal at two outputs that provide clock to FIFO. That may explain why SPDIF not function. Replace the IL260 with i8650, SPDIF function again. But I2S still have problem. Replace the second IL260 with i8650. SPDIF not working again

To avoid making further mistake, I should take a rest and plan the step for trouble shooting. May be my skill is too poor for DIY

Hide this!Advertise here!