Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter - Page 109 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2012, 03:48 AM   #1081
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
ya, I havent gotten around to casework that advanced yet, so didnt quote actual levels, but was pretty sure 20mA wasnt on the cards =) forgot about that schematic you posted
We need to get you a small milling machine....
Old 30th September 2012, 09:11 AM   #1082
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

haha yeah, i'm too prolific with DIY to not have a proper workshop, having everything on wooden boards gets old and means the project is never finished, continually 'under development'. ive actually been working on the designs though. so not too far off the point where I need to get some milling done.

for instance i've stopped ordering new IV stages and new poweramps to try, all that is set in stone. the final shape of the dac is only held up by the control systems and multichannel clocking.

Last edited by qusp; 30th September 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 30th September 2012, 09:28 AM   #1083
diyAudio Member

Quote:
for instance i've stopped ordering new IV stages and new poweramps to try, all that is set in stone. the final shape of the dac is only held up by the control systems and multichannel clocking.
Have stopped ordering, or just not found anything fun to try lately?
Old 30th September 2012, 11:35 AM   #1084
diyAudio Member

shutup you…
Old 30th September 2012, 11:41 AM   #1085
diyAudio Member

there is at least one thing thats interesting to me, i'm very interested to see what comes out of the discrete opamp open design thread. With the dream team involved in that one its bound to be a performer. been a few circuits of note, but as expected Scott's is leading the pack
Old 2nd October 2012, 02:35 AM   #1086
diyAudio Member

Quote:
there is at least one thing thats interesting to me, i'm very interested to see what comes out of the discrete opamp open design thread. With the dream team involved in that one its bound to be a performer. been a few circuits of note, but as expected Scott's is leading the pack
You always introduce good things in various threads, same as yours, my DAC will be a never ended project
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:04 AM   #1087
diyAudio Member

Default Schematics and PCB pictures of Ian FIFO galvanic isolators adaptor

Got the isolator PCB samples today. It looks nice. Schematics of this isolator board (with BOM) attached at bottom of this post. Digikey P/N included for ordering the BOM components.

This isolator adapter designed with mounting hole positions as same as clock board. So, it could be not only placed between the FIFO and clock board, but also stack on top of the FIFO board. It works as a bidirectional bridge between FIFO board and clock board providing galvanic isolation without degrading any function.

This small board makes the clock board and the half of the isolation board only as part as the DAC, isolating the EMI noise introduced by ground plate and signals from the digital front end or other devices, thus the improvement on the sound quality is expected.

The isolator board powered via the 10P FFC/FPC cables by the FIFO board and clock board from both side. So, no any power connector is needed for the isolator board. You just need powering the FIFO board and clock board with different power supply which could be isolated from each other.

Footprints of optional SI8650BC were placed on the bottom side of the PCB. They can be the good alternatives to the IL260E. Please see the schematics for more details.

At least one FFC/FPC cable longer than 3” is required. As well as a 7P PH2.0mm cable. Or, you would be interested in trying three u.fl cables if you think the PH2.0mm cable is too big.

It's not a high density board, so the SMT assembling will not be difficult. But soldering the four 0603 resistor packs would be a little challenge. Two of them were placed very close. Highly recommended using the SMT re-work station with air temperature control function, rather than a regular soldering iron.

Thanks again for offering providing the evaluation. Will send the PCBs very soon to all of the members listed below. Please send your shipping address to iancanada.mail@gmail.com if you still didn't do it.

qusp
NicMac
MisterRogers
Hirez69
cracra
vzs
glt
bigpandahk
ed linssen
Camille Ragi

Please send email to me for if I confirmed but without listed.

Bug found so far: TP2 and TP4 reversed on the PCB.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.JPG (590.2 KB, 481 views)
File Type: jpg bottom.JPG (477.5 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg stack1.JPG (456.5 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg stack2.JPG (459.3 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg stack3.JPG (463.6 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg lot.JPG (501.1 KB, 197 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IsolatorAdapter.pdf (38.3 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Helpdesk; 4th October 2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: name deletion requested by poster
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:54 AM   #1088
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Got the isolator PCB samples today. It looks nice. Schematics of this isolator board (with BOM) attached at bottom of this post. Digikey P/N included for ordering the BOM components.

Thanks again for offering providing the evaluation. Will send the PCBs very soon to all of the members listed below. Please send your shipping address to iancanada.mail@gmail.com if you still didn't do it.

Ian
Ian

It's great news. I just ordered all the components as per your BOM. In addition, your battery management board and the i570 clock board are definitely the must have items for my DAC.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:08 AM   #1089
diyAudio Member

Ian, in terms of power supply demands, I haven't seen a breakdown between how much current is needed for the main boards vs how much is required for the clock board. I am imagining that the clock board will have less load, though it would be nice to know for power supply sizing/design.

Chris

Last edited by hochopeper; 3rd October 2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 3rd October 2012, 06:46 AM   #1090
ggking7 is offline ggking7  United States
diyAudio Member

I would eventually like to power your FIFO and clock board with batteries. Would your battery board be suitable to power both? What are the input voltage requirements of the FIFO and clock board?

As an aside, the ability to charge the battery board via USB, however slowly, would be a huge plus for me. When traveling especially, it's so convenient to plug the laptop into AC and everything else into the laptop.

Hide this!Advertise here!